Does anyone else hate hockey slang?

jbobell98

Dec 14, 2017
The new thing that I'm starting to hate is "WHEEL WHEEL".

Like literally, every team uses it. Copy much? I dont know who the hell started it, but why the hell is every team claiming it as their own.

COme up with some new ish
All it really means is that you have space with the puck and should skate it up. Its just a easy way to say it.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Like literally, every team uses it. Copy much? I dont know who the hell started it, but why the hell is every team claiming it as their own.

What are they referring to?

Edit: I see someone else said it just means open space. A few of my friends and I use it when we play together, but it's in reference to a particular play we run. It gets repeated a lot, but only to confuse the opposition since they don't know when we will or won't actually run it.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Yeah, you would definitely hate the LetterKenny show. Which is a thing of beauty by the way.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Here is a list of terms used by those in the video world who pretend that they belong in real hockey :

- clapper
- tendy
- half wall
- celly
-
-
-

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
What kids? Kids from the country in Canada? I don't know any kids in the US that would have this nonsense resonate with.
Hockey is Canadian, the slang is Canadian and its not going anywhere ya hoser.

Typical Americans think they know whats best for a Canadian made/born sport.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I don't mind it if you actually play the sport. But if you don't play anymore or are just a fan it's really cringy and I hate it.

I also support the word "chel" needs to die crowd.

jbobell98

Dec 14, 2017
Here is a list of terms used by those in the video world who pretend that they belong in real hockey :

- clapper
- tendy
- half wall
- celly
-
-
-
Clapper and celly are undisputedly hockey terms. Tendy is just a short form for goal tender and I agree half wall is wack.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Silky mitts, celly, etc.

There's some that I'm ok with like "top shelf". But most of it is just so damn corny that it hurts. It's the opposite of cool. Mind you, I'm not quite down with the culture of other sports either. I don't think a choreographed celebration is necessary any time a touchdown happens in the NFL. But, the hockey slang seems like it's out of touch with young people today, maybe other than in some parts of Canada. And don't get me wrong I criticize millennials enough, but if the sport is to ever grow I don't know how corny slang used today will help. I cringe every time I hear this stuff.
Funny you say top shelf. I don't mind that either. Top cheese is one that really annoys me.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

Wheel was used way back in the early 70's when i had a cup of coffee in Jr

stranger

Jan 18, 2015
MN
Silky mitts, celly, etc.

There's some that I'm ok with like "top shelf". But most of it is just so damn corny that it hurts. It's the opposite of cool. Mind you, I'm not quite down with the culture of other sports either. I don't think a choreographed celebration is necessary any time a touchdown happens in the NFL. But, the hockey slang seems like it's out of touch with young people today, maybe other than in some parts of Canada. And don't get me wrong I criticize millennials enough, but if the sport is to ever grow I don't know how corny slang used today will help. I cringe every time I hear this stuff.
Maybe I've been oblivious, but I've never heard "silky mitts"

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I hate when EA NHL youtubers/streamers yell “EWWWW!” after scoring the most basic goal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad