Does anyone else hate hockey slang?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Silky mitts, celly, etc.

There's some that I'm ok with like "top shelf". But most of it is just so damn corny that it hurts. It's the opposite of cool. Mind you, I'm not quite down with the culture of other sports either. I don't think a choreographed celebration is necessary any time a touchdown happens in the NFL. But, the hockey slang seems like it's out of touch with young people today, maybe other than in some parts of Canada. And don't get me wrong I criticize millennials enough, but if the sport is to ever grow I don't know how corny slang used today will help. I cringe every time I hear this stuff.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Silky mitts, celly, etc.

There's some that I'm ok with like "top shelf". But most of it is just so damn corny that it hurts. It's the opposite of cool. Mind you, I'm not quite down with the culture of other sports either. I don't think a choreographed celebration is necessary any time a touchdown happens in the NFL. But, the hockey slang seems like it's out of touch with young people today, maybe other than in some parts of Canada. And don't get me wrong I criticize millennials enough, but if the sport is to ever grow I don't know how corny slang used today will help. I cringe every time I hear this stuff.

agree…forced garbage to sound hip or whatever its intent is…........its an instant welcome to the 'ignore feature club' for me

Reactions: Eichel9 and jw2

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
i've always agreed with this, where hockey's "slang" is by far theeee worst out of all sports. it legit cringes me tf out so I stay away from using them. it's not just the slang, but the corny sentences they're used in as well.

idk if it's just me or the hockey culture, but i have no problem with basketball slang or soccer or any other sport. i feel more comfortable saying "he crossed his ass out!" or "you got megged!", than saying "his hands are filthy" or "you got dangled"

it was hard just typing that last sentence let alone saying it.

hockey the sport is just simply amazing, but i'll never agree that it's culture is good by any means. it has never moved forward and has been set back

Last edited:

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
As someone who grew up playing hockey and using that type of slang, I personally love it. But I can see where casual viewers who never actually played the sport could see it as odd and annoying.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Not at all, growing up in Canada playing hockey the words are just there, its hockey culture. Not once have I ever thought any slang words for hockey was cringe because even kids use them. They are popular here in Canada among any kid playing hockey, the words our own culture

Shiney is still used by my friends and I when going to the local pond frozen over in the winter. The hockey nicknames usually always end in "er" or "zy", I have even noticed American players using the word "Eh". The slang words like Deke, Dirty Dangles, Silky Mittz, Apple (Assist), Bar Down, Going to the Barn (Arena), Hoser etc and so many are Canadian hockey culture and they won't ever go anywhere at least here in Canada.

If you can't stand them it seems you chose the wrong sport.

These words are for hockey players, you casuals wont understand and will hate them.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
old.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad