Does anyone else hate hockey slang?

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
It took me like two minutes longer than it should've to see where EA Sports was going when they used the word "Chel" in the recent game. That being said, once I realized, I kinda liked it. :laugh:

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
And stuff like “throwing shade.”

This one is just normal slang not related to hockey and it's one of the dumbest things I've heard in a long time. What's worse is that it seems to have gotten picked up in the mainstream so you see it all over articles of all different kinds.

For hockey, I have always thought "celly" sounded f***ing Pejorative Slured. I think it's partly because of what it references. I love when a player celebrates and I don't get caught up in any garbage talk there. But you shouldn't ever need to talk about it, which is the only time one would use "celly".

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
I also don't get "clap back". I know what it means but what does clapping have to do with responding to criticism

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Also don't understand when the idiot media treats Twitter as just one living breathing entity that speaks with one voice. Very deceptive

"Politician says XYZ, Twitter responds"

"Politician say XYZ, gets immediately skewered by Twitter"

And then you read the story, a politician says something, and 4 inconsequential lunatics who nobody has heard of tweeted insults back at them. This represents all of Twitter?

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Also "warnings" why does the media even report this?

"Jim Carrey issues ominous warning to Politician X"

"Robert DeNiro warns Politican Y"

Yea thanks I'm sure he's just overcome with grief and concern because Ace Ventura is issuing stern warnings.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Silky mitts, celly, etc.

There's some that I'm ok with like "top shelf". But most of it is just so damn corny that it hurts. It's the opposite of cool. Mind you, I'm not quite down with the culture of other sports either. I don't think a choreographed celebration is necessary any time a touchdown happens in the NFL. But, the hockey slang seems like it's out of touch with young people today, maybe other than in some parts of Canada. And don't get me wrong I criticize millennials enough, but if the sport is to ever grow I don't know how corny slang used today will help. I cringe every time I hear this stuff.
Start The Slang Crusade!:naughty:

Seriously, who cares? Or do you want to force people to express their thoughts in a "modern", "more appealing to young people" way? That's some totalitarian BS.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Silky mitts, celly, etc.

There's some that I'm ok with like "top shelf". But most of it is just so damn corny that it hurts. It's the opposite of cool. Mind you, I'm not quite down with the culture of other sports either. I don't think a choreographed celebration is necessary any time a touchdown happens in the NFL. But, the hockey slang seems like it's out of touch with young people today, maybe other than in some parts of Canada. And don't get me wrong I criticize millennials enough, but if the sport is to ever grow I don't know how corny slang used today will help. I cringe every time I hear this stuff.

Is someone playing guilty today? One too many sodas with the lads..not ready for a bag skate?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Start The Slang Crusade!:naughty:

Seriously, who cares? Or do you want to force people to express their thoughts in a "modern", "more appealing to young people" way? That's some totalitarian BS.

I hate when people put words in my mouth. Where did I say I want to force people to do anything? Not only did you make that part up you added how your made up scenario is "totalitarian BS".

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I also don't get "clap back". I know what it means but what does clapping have to do with responding to criticism
Clap back is a reference to shooting. Clapping back would be retribution for shit talk or action taken against ones self or someone you care about. JaRule made a song called clap back in the early 2000s

For clarification, a "clapper" is slang for a gun.

Last edited:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

long story short it comes from street slang.

clap is the sound a pistol makes when it fires.

clap back means respond in the sense of returning fire when a rival attacks you...or getting revenge on that rival

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
long story short it comes from street slang.

clap is the sound a pistol makes when it fires.

clap back means respond in the sense of returning fire when a rival attacks you...or getting revenge on that rival

Oh. I see. Makes sense. How do people know this was everybody in a gang at some point? lol

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
What I hate more is fans posting lineups on here with nicknames so I don't know who they're talking about:
Chubs-Wicks-Duvs
Dems-Bubsy-23
Grux-Fulx-Zots
Blotz-Chems-Utsy

Another nickname fans like to use in their failed attempt to be clever is when they refer to George McPhee as GMGM.

OMG, dat iz soooo original....yuck yuck yuck!!! (slapping knee)

Ugh. :facepalm:

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Lamer than the slang is all of the unoriginal nicknames in the NHL. Let’s just add a “y” or “er” to part of someone’s name and call it a day.

What’s his name? Taylor Hall? Well his nickname is Hallsy. I’m going on break.
I slightly disagree, but will give you props for a Mitch reference

Reactions: Jerzey Devil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad