OT: Do you think Blackhawks will change jersey/logo/name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
I wonder why so many of our sports teams both professional and amateur have so often used our Native American iconography to represent the spirit of their team. To me it's pretty clearly a statement of our admiration for all the positive attributes associated with the Native way of life and in particular their warrior spirit which includes such things as honour and bravery to name just a couple.

You can extend it to Greece, Rome, Scandinavia amongst others as well.

If a bad ass warrior culture/society exists there will be a sports team named after it

Reactions: crazyhawk

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I grew up in Caledonia, Ontario and went to high school there. The town is right beside a Native Reservation. There was a fair amount of Natives in the school as well.
That's Ohsweken, correct? They basically have the Blackhawks logo as their towns jerseys, at least they did when we played them 20+ years ago.

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
That's Ohsweken, correct? They basically have the Blackhawks logo as their towns jerseys, at least they did when we played them 20+ years ago.

Ya, pretty much.

It's the Caledonia, Cayuga and Haggersville area. Ohsweken was where the Natives were from.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Yes we can. It's only a logo.

If Native Americans start to have issues with it, we'll change it. I think the majority of posters here are in agreement on that.

Would it suck? Maybe a little. End of the world? Certainly not.
Yep. It's only a logo. We'll survive.

That said, until there is a huge uproar from those affected ... I don't think it's a huge deal. The Blackhawks name is a non starter. Our logo straddles the line. I get it. However, the artwork was always tastefully done. It was never meant to be a "mascot." It was meant to honor. That is clear. Our story is vastly different from Cleveland and Washington. Context matters.

We, as Blackhawks fans, are respectful to the logo. We don't make up a song or dance. The logo is not our mascot. Fans don't wear Native Americans garb to the games. We never do the silly tomahawk chant. Etc. Furthrrmore, the Blackhawks as an organization gives to the regional Native American communities ... which is what they want far more than a logo change.

IMO, respect their culture, honor the logo, continue help their communities in need, and take their recommendations seriously. Make them feel like a part of the team. Stuff like this doesn't always have to be negative.

Blackhawksfirecoach

Oct 20, 2021
yeah point is, it's not up to non-Indians whether the Indian head is actually appropriate or "respectful." neither should it be up to white people with an ulterior social justice agenda.

however, the fact that the logo isn't overtly racist (e.g., compared to Cleveland's old logo) doesn't make it necessarily appropriate either.

furthermore, anecdotes of "I know Indians who are cool with it" aren't very meaningful either, in that they won't actually inform whether the logo is kept in the long run.

I personally love the logo. I think it's beautiful and in a class of its own, but I also believe I should have no real opinion on whether it stays.

Reactions: AzHawk

HallOfGreatness4

Best NHL gambler around
Dec 29, 2010
itshockeynight.com
yeah point is, it's not up to non-Indians whether the Indian head is actually appropriate or "respectful." neither should it be up to white people with an ulterior social justice agenda.

however, the fact that the logo isn't overtly racist (e.g., compared to Cleveland's old logo) doesn't make it necessarily appropriate either.

furthermore, anecdotes of "I know Indians who are cool with it" aren't very meaningful either, in that they won't actually inform whether the logo is kept in the long run.

I personally love the logo. I think it's beautiful and in a class of its own, but I also believe I should have no real opinion on whether it stays.
What chain of events do you see unfolding in that there would be a change

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
No. I've even heard discussion of the redskins name coming back. You don't name a team after something you despise or try to belittle. The redskins were named after Lone Star Dietz who was hc and Indian along with four other players. Same with Cleveland if people knew how the teams originated, everyone was just trying to be as PC as possible and virtue signal. Now more people are pushing back on the wokeness agenda and worrying about issues that actually matter.

Dennis Rodman's Oklahoma college team was called "the Savages" when he was drafted, I'm sure that name was chosen respectfully.

Reactions: AzHawk

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
What discussion has there been of bringing the Redskins back other than Twitter chatter? There's really no conceivable chance that Washington will bring that back.

However, there has been pretty reliable chatter about the new ownership smartly considering moving away from the Commanders moniker that essentially nobody likes. That's not akin to going back to the Skins, though. They'll likely pick a new name as an easy move away from the slightly ****tier Snyderverse.

Reactions: Giovi and Pez68

Dead Meat

Apr 27, 2004
For the OP and everybody else that brings this up every six months:

Attachments

• IMG_6682.jpeg
    IMG_6682.jpeg
    33 KB · Views: 2

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
What discussion has there been of bringing the Redskins back other than Twitter chatter? There's really no conceivable chance that Washington will bring that back.

However, there has been pretty reliable chatter about the new ownership smartly considering moving away from the Commanders moniker that essentially nobody likes. That's not akin to going back to the Skins, though. They'll likely pick a new name as an easy move away from the slightly ****tier Snyderverse.
0 chance bringing Rskins name back. Neither Washington nor NFL want to deal with that again. The Americans and Warriors were once coveted but trademarked. There was a push for the Redtails in honor of the famed African American military unit. A lot of fans want that 2 syllable name starting with "red" because of that Hail to the Rskins song.

Here was the finalist names in 2021 ...

wft.jpeg

Last edited:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yeah, I have no clue what they go with, but they'll come up with something. There are a few thousand other non-trademarked nouns.

My long-suggested Washington Pigskins never gets love, though.

And Cleveland should've been the Napoleons, damn it. Bring back the Naps.

Blackhawksfirecoach

Oct 20, 2021
What chain of events do you see unfolding in that there would be a change
first of all, I also unironically think they should have kept "The Washington Football Team". the goofy iconoclasm and lingering self-awareness of it just cracks me up. "Pigskins" is great too, but maybe too on the nose. ;)

anyway, I think it's hard to speculate about any specific chain of events leading to a Blackhawks logo change. the fact that our logo/name aren't obviously racist sure helps its long-term retention.

honestly, the main issue is that there's no clear, cohesive, public message whether our team imagery is appropriate, in the eyes of the very people depicted by such imagery.

in this thread, we as non-Indian hockey fans have relied on anecdotes, because that's honestly the best we have to justify keeping the logo.

all this may indicate that Indian people are totally OK with our imagery, but I do think it's troubling we can't know that for sure.

that being said, since it's not known for sure, I bet the logo stays as long as there's any Indian imagery in pro sports.

Last edited:
Reactions: HallOfGreatness4

HallOfGreatness4

Best NHL gambler around
Dec 29, 2010
itshockeynight.com
first of all, I also unironically think they should have kept "The Washington Football Team". the goofy iconoclasm and lingering self-awareness of it just cracks me up. "Pigskins" is great too, but maybe too on the nose. ;)

anyway, I think it's hard to speculate about any specific chain of events leading to a Blackhawks logo change. the fact that our logo/name aren't obviously racist sure helps its long-term retention.

honestly, the main issue is that there's no clear, cohesive, public message whether our team imagery is appropriate, in the eyes of the very people depicted by such imagery.

in this thread, we as non-Indian hockey fans have relied on anecdotes, because that's honestly the best we have to justify keeping the logo.

all this may indicate that Indian people are totally OK with our imagery, but I do think it's troubling we can't know that for sure.

that being said, since it's not known for sure, I bet the logo stays as long as there's any Indian imagery in pro sports.
We are the only Indian imagery in pro sports; or are you talking chiefs Braves etc

Reactions: Blackhawksfirecoach

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
I hope the new management doesn't cave to the woke mob. Even if the logo was changed to a white square, someone would find a problem with it and whine.

And funnily enough a vast amount of the complainers are people that never ever played a sport in their entire lives nor do they even watch any televised sport. This new generation is full of whining sookbags.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad