OT: Do you think Blackhawks will change jersey/logo/name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
It’s 100% up to the Saulk tribe imo. We non native folks should look to them for direction
I kinda disagree on it being 100% because it is a depiction of a Native American with a headdress in general, not necessarily just the Sauk.

There doesn't need to be any arguement. If they want it changed, we change it. That's it. I think we all should agree on that one.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I don't think they will change it. I think and also hope the ship has sailed on this discussion.

And look at the Redskins, with the new ownership there seems to be some momentum building towards bringing the Redskins name back - which probably is offensive, unlike Blackhawks.

Reactions: HallOfGreatness4

HallOfGreatness4

Best NHL gambler around
Dec 29, 2010
itshockeynight.com
I don't think they will change it. I think and also hope the ship has sailed on this discussion.

And look at the Redskins, with the new ownership there seems to be some momentum building towards bringing the Redskins name back - which probably is offensive, unlike Blackhawks.
They’re not bringing the Redskins name back to Washington, I think they’re gonna move off the name commanders, correct?

Praetorian Caps

May 15, 2018
As long as the Blackhawks are winning and drumming up fan interest and money then the name is safe. That's the reason The Redskins lost their name; their owner ran the team into the ground; fans stop attending games and the franchise wasn't making the same capital like they did in their glory years. That's when they finally caved because the team wasn't making money like before.

Since Bedard got drafted ticket sales have drastically increased and if he lives up to the hype it will only increase revenue. At that point the name and logo will be to profitable to tamper with despite outside pressure.

Last edited:

HallOfGreatness4

Best NHL gambler around
Dec 29, 2010
itshockeynight.com
As long as the Blackhawks are winning and drumming up fan interest and money then the name is safe. That's the reason The Redskins lost their name; their owner ran the team into the ground; fans stop attending games and the franchise wasn't making the same capital like they did in their glory years. That's when they finally caved because the team wasn't making money like before.

Since Bedard got drafted ticket sales have drastically increased and if he lives up to the hype it will only increase revenue. At that point the name and logo will be to profitable to tamper with despite outside pressure.
Great points. I don’t think anyone here sees a name change as likely.

But the indian head logo on the front of the jersey; that’s another story. What are your thoughts on that?

Bedard is an interesting cog in all this.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
What could you see happening to make it a conversation again? Seems like the chiefs and Braves have also kinda dodged the bullet

Hey take your busybody attitude and go pound sand. I heard mythical sea creatures are upset with your use of Kraken - when are going to change your team name to something less offensive?

HallOfGreatness4

Best NHL gambler around
Dec 29, 2010
itshockeynight.com
Hey take your busybody attitude and go pound sand. I heard mythical sea creatures are upset with your use of Kraken - when are going to change your team name to something less offensive?
I am not a kraken fan. I like Beniers because he played at Michigan in college. I can’t name 5 kraken players come to think of it.

Also really like Caufield. I like all guys out of the big 10.

For the record I’m adamantly against the Blackhawks changing the logo or name.

Thanks for playing though.

Reactions: Sarava and Mrfenn92

Praetorian Caps

May 15, 2018
Great points. I don’t think anyone here sees a name change as likely.

But the indian head logo on the front of the jersey; that’s another story. What are your thoughts on that?

Bedard is an interesting cog in all this.
The name is safe...its the logo that's endangered. If the symbol is dropped the franchise can keep the name and replace it with an actual hawk or a helicopter. But the chief's head is part of the team's history, since it's inception. That is what the haters are after.

Like I wrote if the team continues to make money then the logo isn't going anywhere. That's all the NHL, sponsors, and owners care about. If the middle pulled support from the team, like they did to Snyder, to force a change, Blackhawks would come out in droves to protest. If they are bad with no hope of improvement fan apathy will help force a change because no one will bother to fight back.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009

"probably"??

Reactions: Pez68

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I am not a kraken fan. I like Beniers because he played at Michigan in college. I can’t name 5 kraken players come to think of it.

Also really like Caufield. I like all guys out of the big 10.

For the record I’m adamantly against the Blackhawks changing the logo or name.

Thanks for playing though.

Then I'm happy to say we're better friends than enemies.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
If the Hawks wants to keep the name/logo, that's fine. I mean the Blackhawks don't even have to change their name. Go back to how it was spelled before 1986, Chicago Black Hawks (instead of Blackhawks). I know somebody posted a picture of what the Black Hawk jersey would look like, with the Hawk, and I was okay with it.

I could see CHGO going either way.
--------------

If the new owners are not thrilled with the name Commanders, fine, change your name to any non-racist name you want. Goodell should tell the new owners that Redskins name is off-the-table.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
The name won't change at the bare minimum. The Blackhawks have more leeway due to honoring/taking after a specific person versus a group which is what happened to the Redskins/Indians while the logo is definitely far more inoffensive. As long as the local native tribes are fine with it without any outside influence dictating to them saying that's their feeling (swaying either way) I think it's cool to keep it.

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
I always get a chuckled when I hear the argument that "white people are making money off of Native imagery.

Do they realize that the Japanese have made billions (probably trillions) off the imagery of 2 Italian plumbers?

Shigeru-Miyamoto-young.jpg

mario and luigi.png

This has been going on for the last half century.

More power to Miyamoto and his team.

Reactions: ColbyChaos

HallOfGreatness4

Best NHL gambler around
Dec 29, 2010
itshockeynight.com
The name won't change at the bare minimum. The Blackhawks have more leeway due to honoring/taking after a specific person versus a group which is what happened to the Redskins/Indians while the logo is definitely far more inoffensive. As long as the local native tribes are fine with it without any outside influence dictating to them saying that's their feeling (swaying either way) I think it's cool to keep it.
For me it’s all or nothing. At age 40 that logo is all I know. If they change the logo, they should change the name too. Though there’s no easy answer here. I think if I was Wirtz, I would absolutely force them to make me sell the team first. If I had to change it I would go to hawks and I don’t even know. If they change it just sell the team

Reactions: FMichael

thedarkstark

Jun 22, 2012
When are we going to be done discussing this ****? Anyone who suggests a change is some suburban Karen filled with white guilt & has done no research into the history.

Unlike other teams that depicted racist caricatures, slurs, or derogatory/stereotypical imagery, the Blackhawks honor a real group of people. Like 1/3rd of the states, cities, and streets in the Midwest use native words/names (both Chicago & Illinois for example). should we change all of those too?

No more Ohio, or Illinois, no more Milwaukee, Waukegan, Chicago, Algonquin, no more Hiawatha boulevard, etc. etc. Let's change it all and erase history! People need to do some research and learn the difference between mockery and paying homage.

Last edited:

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
The Logo does not demean Native Americans. My wife is a Native American, it doesn't bother her, or my in-laws. Only people it seems to bother don't have a dog in the fight. Go find something important to worry about.
Plenty of Native Americans do not like that it is used, however, all Native communities are not unified in this opinion. They most likely never will be, due to the vast variety of tribes.

Completely dismissing the discussion is disingenuous. The origin story of the Blackhawks is not racist at all, quite the opposite. That does not mean that using a depiction of a Native American feather headdress cannot be seen as insensitive. It certainly could, I wouldn't know, though. There is plenty of "white guilt", but let us not be too far the other way. We need to be sensitive of their opinions.

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
I always get a chuckled when I hear the argument that "white people are making money off of Native imagery.

Do they realize that the Japanese have made billions (probably trillions) off the imagery of 2 Italian plumbers?

View attachment 734109

View attachment 734110

This has been going on for the last half century.

More power to Miyamoto and his team.
Not a great comparison seeing as Japan has never committed genocide against Italians

I am personally fond of the way the Blackhawks highlight Sauk culture and a unique part of Illinois history (and think they should do even more of it if they keep using the name/logo). I don't think there's much in the way that it's done here that can be considered specifically disrespectful. But that's only one part of the equation- whether it should be done at all is a valid ethical question that doesn't hinge on whether people are offended or whatever

HallOfGreatness4

Best NHL gambler around
Dec 29, 2010
itshockeynight.com
The name is safe...its the logo that's endangered. If the symbol is dropped the franchise can keep the name and replace it with an actual hawk or a helicopter. But the chief's head is part of the team's history, since it's inception. That is what the haters are after.

Like I wrote if the team continues to make money then the logo isn't going anywhere. That's all the NHL, sponsors, and owners care about. If the middle pulled support from the team, like they did to Snyder, to force a change, Blackhawks would come out in droves to protest. If they are bad with no hope of improvement fan apathy will help force a change because no one will bother to fight back.
This is the best take I’ve seen on it yet.

How many people agree with this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad