Waived: DLR/Pleks Waived

Will He Get Claimed?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

fufonzo

Feb 28, 2004
It's what I saw man, he was a good regular season player. Maybe I have lost some memories or something.
He was awesome shutting down Ovechkin in that series we beat Washington and shut down Crosby when we played Pittsburgh.

Ya, maybe in the playoffs he didn't have the success he'd have liked to have and never carried the team, but the guy gave his all at both ends of the ice to the Habs. He was an elite 2nd line centre for us and did pretty damn well stepping in on the top line for a few seasons.

For a 3rd round pick that was never projected to amount to all that much, he really made a real career for himself.

As random as it is, my best memory of him was when he was breaking into the NHL and we had a 4th line of Perezhogin - Plekanec - Higgins, an they were dynamite together and just seemed to dominate every time they were on the ice (obv. playing against 3rd-4th liners). I just remembered he reminded me of Koivu so much.

I remember being so excited about the youth of the team at the time with the 3 of them, the Kostitsyns, Balej, and Hossa. Funny to look back on now. Plekanec was probably the least exciting prospect from that group before he made his jump to the NHL and he had the best career out of all of them.

Reactions: CanadiensChick

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
First of all, you have no idea how I or virtually any other poster would react to any particular deal. So stop with that trash.

Well who with a brain wouldn't? You let a guy go for nothing then replace him with a clone potentially giving up an asset?

Why let DLR go to replace him with another similar player? Makes zero sense.

Yes, I do know how others would react. There would be 20 pages of Bargainbin comments, spare me the bs. Losing DLR on waivers is a giant nothingburger.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Not everyone thinks that the Peca vs DLR debate is irrelevant. Some believe Peca should have been waived before DLR -- several posts are saying just that.

How many of you would have rather held on to DLR over Peca?
I mean You can argue Peca or DLR (I can see argument for both) but I’m sure everyone would have waived Plekanec before either of the them + he was actually waived.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
I find it surprising how so many so-called hockey people on here undervalue players that can play such a solid defensive game as De La Rose. Ah well. I will always say that letting him ride the waiver wire was one of the long list of Bargain Bin errors.

Not everyone thinks that the Peca vs DLR debate is irrelevant. Some believe Peca should have been waived before DLR -- several posts are saying just that.

I would play De La Rose over Peca, especially on a 4th line on a tiny wee team. I don't see anything special from Peca and at his age, have doubts he'll ever be more than what he is today.

Last edited by a moderator:

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Peca vs DLR debate is irrelevant when we just waived Plekanec... Clearly when could have waiver Plekanec earlier and hold on to DLR a little longer. With all the injuries maybe we could have keep him.

If DLR stuck with us this year, he sure as hell wouldn't next year or the following year...we have Poehling and Suzuki coming in at the very minimum. Hopefully other young prospects or UFA's as well.

DLR simply had no room in the lineup.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
it's not the point how much of a loss his is, there was no need, had they just waived Pleks, DLR would be here. So yes that's poor asset management, when you lose something for nothing when you could have just made another move 2 weeks ago.

Reflects that the status quo still reigns with MB in charge...

Making it up as he goes, no direction, no vision, no strategy...

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
it's not the point how much of a loss his is, there was no need, had they just waived Pleks, DLR would be here. So yes that's poor asset management, when you lose something for nothing when you could have just made another move 2 weeks ago.

And this is what is so frustrating with the defend-management-at-all-times crowd. They tell us that Detroit is desperate because of injuries and that is why they are playing DLR 15-18 minutes per game on the second line. So had we waived Pleks and played DLR a bit, Detroit might have come a callin' once their need was acute and given us a useful asset in exchange for the guy that would fit for them.

Even if you think DLR is only your 23rd best player, you don't lose him for nothing in order to keep a 24th with no value, days from retirement at 35 years old.

It reminds me of the monumental blunder Sam Pollock made in the summer 1969, protecting 41 year old Gump Worsley over 26 year old Tony Esposito, and losing Espo on waivers because of it. Worsley was gone after playing just 6 more games in a Habs uniform.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Pleks gone? For good this time. Or is he like The Who. Back for six more tours?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I mean You can argue Peca or DLR (I can see argument for both) but I’m sure everyone would have waived Plekanec before either of the them + he was actually waived.

I agree with waiving Plekanec over DLR and Peca. Team is in a rebuilding mode and the emergence of Domi as a center and Kotkaniemi remaining with the club, added two centers to the team that were not sure bets before the season started.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It reminds me of the monumental blunder Sam Pollock made in the summer 1969, protecting 41 year old Gump Worsley over 26 year old Tony Esposito, and losing Espo on waivers because of it. Worsley was gone after playing just 6 more games in a Habs uniform.

I can't remember Gump Worsley ever looking like a young man. The guy was eternally old, lol.

I remember one night when I had a smoked meat craving and went to Dunn's downtown, open 24 hours. And couldn't believe the waitress sat me nearby Gump Worsley who was eating with Glen Sather. I never interrupted them, twas just a treat to see them in person when I had only known them from TV footage.

But, I digress.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lshap and PaulD

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
It’s like crying over the fact I dropped a nickel in the grass and can’t find it.

DLR is going nowhere. Yet boo boo, he was lost on waivers to the Red Wings. Good for him, an opportunity to make an NHL career. Sadly, unlikely to pan out.

But yes, let’s all cry about the loss of the big one that got away, Jacob De... what was his name again?

Great post!

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I can't remember Gump Worsley ever looking like a young man. The guy was eternally old, lol.

I remember one night when I had a smoke meat craving and went to Dunn's downtown, open 24 hours. And couldn't believe the waitress sat me nearby Gump Worsley who was eating with Glen Sather. I never interrupted them, twas just a treat to see them in person when I had only known them from TV footage.

But, I digress.
:laugh:Thats f***en great !

Love the Gumper. Read his book when I was a kid. Read it again as an adult.

Reactions: Runner77

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008

We disagree, simple as that. There are 2 DLR's in Laval. I'm glad he will get a chance in Det but his loss is nothing.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

In preseason peca looked MUCH better than dlr(peca had 5 points in 4 games I believe) so I doubt anyone would have done it back then. Someone had to go when we were healthy. Now that Byron and Armia are injured, of course dlr would be better than agostino.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Sorry you can't handle the truth but the constant MB complainers would rip him if he picked up a guy like DLR off waivers.

I dunno. Would this mythical player be cuter than DLR? Have more offensive upside while being even in skating and defensive play? Would he be a good team player and never complain about lack of opportunities and development?

The point is, why bring up an unlikely hypothetical except to try to shred (very poorly I might add) posters who have opinions that differ from your own?

Bergevin has made many mistakes, and some of them with incalculably negative effects on the team. When he screws up he gets called on it, just like every other GM on every other team.

Reactions: Runner77

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Or maybe after 4 years and a poor showing at camp, the team decided to cut bait and move on from him.
I think it's quite odd how the more this organization had their hands in the development of DLR, the worse he seemingly got.
Straight out of juniors, he was almost ready to dethrone Eller. He definitely could stick as a 4th center. But then he got sent to AHL and spent more time going up and down, got worse.

This guy came from Sweden ready to play 4th line. We failed miserably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino