• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
So wrong.

We protected TWO goalies, Vachon and Worsley.

Historical Hockey Stats & Trivia: 1969 NHL Intra-League Draft

Vachon was not "up and coming" at that point, he had just finished his third season with the team and had just won the Vezina Trophy.

We had two farm teams at the time, and the goalie depth in 68-69 was:
  1. Rogatien Vachon (36 games with Habs, injured a few weeks)
  2. Gump Worsley (30 games with Habs, injured a few weeks)
  3. Ernie Wakely (65 games in AHL Cleveland, 1 game with Habs)
  4. Tony Esposito (19 games in CHL Houston, 15 games with Habs)
  5. Phil Myre (53 games in CHL Houston)
  6. Michel Plasse (7 games with AHL Cleveland)
When Vachon and Worsley both went down at almost the same time, first Wakely was brought up, as he had been the next in line for years, but hardly ever playing in an NHL game. Then the second regular went down, and the Habs did not want to risk the development of Philippe Myre who was a 20 year old first-year pro handling #1 duties in the pros for the first time, so they took a chance and brought up Tony Esposito, a 25 year old who had played college and was in his second pro year. He had an unorthodox style which the team was not sold on, but when he got into his first game he was a sensation, and he went on to play 13 games, cooling off a bit toward the end. Then the minute the regulars were back, he was gone, not to return for the rest of the year.

Pollock said that he protected Worsley out of respect, and Myre and Plasse were safe from poaching because they were first year pros and Myre rated ahead of Esposito, so he felt there was not that much risk anyone would take this older goalie with the weird "butterfly" style.

The "respect" for Worsley lasted 6 more games then he was shipped out early in 1969-70 and Phil Myre brought up for good.
Worsley wasn't shipped out, he quit (retired) because he was losing his ice time to Vachon, He came out of retirement to join the North Stars.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Worsley wasn't shipped out, he quit (retired) because he was losing his ice time to Vachon, He came out of retirement to join the North Stars.

And Plekanec "agreed" to terminate his contract. Man, listen to what you are saying. Yes, they kept Worsley as insurance, we know that, but it was a MISTAKE. Just like it was a mistake to keep Plekanec when a choice had to be made earlier this year.

Sam Pollock was man enough to admit he made a mistake. Our IdiotGM won't ever admit to this one.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
And Plekanec "agreed" to terminate his contract. Man, listen to what you are saying. Yes, they kept Worsley as insurance, we know that, but it was a MISTAKE. Just like it was a mistake to keep Plekanec when a choice had to be made earlier this year.

Sam Pollock was man enough to admit he made a mistake. Our IdiotGM won't ever admit to this one.
I'm not saying it was a good or bad decision. I'm saying at the time it was a choice between Vachon and Espo. Not Worsley and Espo. Pollock valued experienced players.

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Glad we restored a bit of class to the club by giving Pleky his 1000th game "testimonial". I wouldn't be all that surprised if this was always going to be the deal with him and he signed on knowing that......

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I'm not saying it was a good or bad decision. I'm saying at the time it was a choice between Vachon and Espo. Not Worsley and Espo. Pollock valued experienced players.

It would have been idiotic to leave Vachon unprotected at age 24 having just won the Vezina and the Cup. The choice was Espo or Worsley. Pollock never stated that the choice was Espo or Vachon.

Pollock admitted that the Habs did not feel that Espo's style was going to work. That was one mistake, the other was protecting a guy who might retire at any minute over a young player.

Reactions: Runner77

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I was worried about losing DLR to waivers but actually I've been fairly impressed with Agostino the last two games which makes me think that the difference between DLR and Agostino/Chaput is perhaps not enough for me to be worried about. We'll see how it all unfolds.

Reactions: Agalloch

No fan fiction

Nov 16, 2004
First of all, you have no idea how I or virtually any other poster would react to any particular deal. So stop with that trash.

Well who with a brain wouldn't? You let a guy go for nothing then replace him with a clone potentially giving up an asset?

Why let DLR go to replace him with another similar player? Makes zero sense.

In answer to the last question, that's actually called asset management. You move a contract, you move an age and/or time of service factor, you move waiver flexibility. What is being missed by the people harping about letting DLR go is the number of players around the league picked up this way or via free agency every single year.

No fan fiction

Nov 16, 2004
That's good , because you lost me.
Let me explain it two ways: a) DLR is down to 9 min and change in DTW b/c he has 2 pts in 11 games and sucks; b) if Bergevin were to find a 4th line centre like DLR on waivers or anywhere else, the fan fiction crowd around here would run to their "bargain Bergy" refrain post haste.

On the bright side, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get a game worn (barely) DLR sweater from DTW fairly shortly and pretty cheap. You'll need a Grand Rapids one, though.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
In answer to the last question, that's actually called asset management. You move a contract, you move an age and/or time of service factor, you move waiver flexibility. What is being missed by the people harping about letting DLR go is the number of players around the league picked up this way or via free agency every single year.

It's not good asset management if it's not a clear upgrade, especially when losing an asset. I don't believe it was.

Reactions: Runner77

No fan fiction

Nov 16, 2004
It's not good asset management if it's not a clear upgrade, especially when losing an asset. I don't believe it was.

A contract can be an upgrade (cap league, age of player, term, expiry date, waivers, etc. There's more than just a body. De La Rose can be replaced by any number of players (Peca, Chaput, Agostino--how'd we get those guys?) and if the contract is better, then that's an upgrade b/c when you're dealing with marginal 4th line guys that's about as much as you can hope to upgrade.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
A contract can be an upgrade (cap league, age of player, term, expiry date, waivers, etc. There's more than just a body. De La Rose can be replaced by any number of players (Peca, Chaput, Agostino--how'd we get those guys?) and if the contract is better, then that's an upgrade b/c when you're dealing with marginal 4th line guys that's about as much as you can hope to upgrade.
nobody cares, and rightfully so... are we supposed to watch the game telling ourselve this or that player is better cause his contract is better or something ?

you're trying too hard.

No fan fiction

Nov 16, 2004
nobody cares, and rightfully so... are we supposed to watch the game telling ourselve this or that player is better cause his contract is better or something ?

you're trying too hard.
Not at all. It's just that when people go on and on and on about "bad asset management" regarding the likes of DLR, then they had better bring something to the table b/c their boy sure can't.

Reactions: Deebs

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Not at all. It's just that when people go on and on and on about "bad asset management" regarding the likes of DLR, then they had better bring something to the table b/c their boy sure can't.
on a team that has millions under the cap and has a few more in the press box most games, there's no reason to care (for fans) for contract situations...

so, Agostino having a better contract or something -> pouet.

No fan fiction

Nov 16, 2004
on a team that has millions under the cap and has a few more in the press box most games, there's no reason to care (for fans) for contract situations...

so, Agostino having a better contract or something -> pouet.
By that token then how, pray tell, is losing the likes of Jacob De La Rose bad asset management? He's about to be sent to Grand Rapids. If there's no reason to care about contracts, then what is there to care about Jacob De La Rose at all?

What is the fantastic return he would have drawn? What? I want a name. I want a draft choice. I want a scout's name on a report. I want a finger print. Enough with the fan fiction.

Reactions: Deebs

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
at is the fantastic return he would have drawn? What? I want a name. I want a draft choice. I want a scout's name on a report. I want a finger print. Enough with the fan fiction.
you keep looking, although you might want tyo ask people paid for it, not other regular joes like you...

Last edited:

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
By that token then how, pray tell, is losing the likes of Jacob De La Rose bad asset management? He's about to be sent to Grand Rapids. If there's no reason to care about contracts, then what is there to care about Jacob De La Rose at all?

What is the fantastic return he would have drawn? What? I want a name. I want a draft choice. I want a scout's name on a report. I want a finger print. Enough with the fan fiction.

If the Red Wings are goona send him down to the Ahl, he has to go on waivers and we get the first chance to reclaim him .....

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I was worried about losing DLR to waivers but actually I've been fairly impressed with Agostino the last two games which makes me think that the difference between DLR and Agostino/Chaput is perhaps not enough for me to be worried about. We'll see how it all unfolds.

Agostino's background is pretty interesting. I was surprised to find out that he had been drafted ahead of Gallagher by the Pens.

No fan fiction

Nov 16, 2004
you keep looking, although you might want tyo ask people paid for it, not other regular joes like you...
You went to the regular guys take? Too soon. I'm surrounded by experts who not only know more than the people being paid, firmly believe they are the next in line.

Oh, and since contract management isn't a factor, then why, pray tell, did Alzner clear and why, pray tell, was his contract the biggest reason he was the one sent down, as opposed to the others?
You're welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->