NHL 19 Discussion Thread - Part II

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Why is it so hard to find a eashl game 3v3 or 6v6.

Its ridiculous. New game and no one plays or what?
People are playing, drop-in is just broken. I think they're focusing on adding club challenges right now and that's why they aren't fixing it.

Mattavarner

Apr 17, 2014
Any advice for scoring on breakaways? Could score 2/3 of the time in nhl18, I think ive only scored 1 goal this year on a breakaway, that would improve my game alot

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Any advice for scoring on breakaways? Could score 2/3 of the time in nhl18, I think ive only scored 1 goal this year on a breakaway, that would improve my game alot

My break-away percentage is god-awful, can't remember the last time I scored on one.

mhart1

Maniac Caniac
Oct 8, 2013
Pori
I'm gonna go with no.

Just dominated someone in competitive seasons and lost 5-2. Next game, the AI gave me so many assists and I beat a pretty good player 6-1. Very stupid in my opinion.
The hand holding is on another level in this game. It is infuriating to see how opponent just skates backwards, and his AI players do all the dirty work.

All these EA games have gone into the point where the one who knows how to f up the game mechanics the most will win.

From time to time I regret buying this game. :D

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Wth is wrong with the servers?
Had 4 games in a row on versus not even make it to the 2nd perioid and it crashes. Gave me the win twice and lost twice.

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
Has Bought all the Ea NHL games since Nhlpa -93 on Snes and really learning to enjoy NHL 19 playing franchise mode ,but it took a lot of work with the sliders think the developers has captured the tempo in todays NHL and with better goaltenders this year its quit fun.But the presentation really needs an overhaul next year ,has been almost the same now since NHL 15.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Lots of little things are being left out. Last night my EASHL club won the pro cup playoffs. What do we get for it? A banner in our building, which admittedly is pretty cool, but where's the celebration? We just get a "Congrats on Winning the Pro Cup" screen. Why not have the celebration with the boys? Could name an MVP(even if it's just whoever scored the most goals or had the most points in the run it would be cool) show the champagne popping etc. Maybe even a handshake line? Even winning the Elite Cup one last year was exactly the same. I can't imagine that would be difficult to program, but would be a very cool addition.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Forehand, backhand, 5-hole. Thank me later.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
What builds does poke checking not cause a penalty every damn time?

Like I understand the spam pokechecking sucks, but I've just stopped using it at this point.

17of26

Sep 9, 2008
What builds does poke checking not cause a penalty every damn time?

Like I understand the spam pokechecking sucks, but I've just stopped using it at this point.

I was tripping people constantly when I first started playing NHL19, but I have adjusted to the new mechanics and I think they work pretty well.

You simply cannot poke check while chasing someone, which makes sense. It was crazy how you could strip the puck from someone in NHL18 while chasing them from behind.

As long as you're in front of someone and keep your stick away from their feet, the poke check works great.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
EA has nearly destroyed VS. I understand that they feel the need to keep teams competitive, but when I lose after 2-1 after outshooting an opponent 46-12 and miss the net on nearly 20 glorious scoring chances.........what's the point??? I simply don't get how they think this is fun for anyone. I was in the opposition end 80% of the time. Just trying to understand the mindset of the developers.

People either forget, have not heard, or choose to ignore that THIS is a thing...

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/16c4/5d99437bd43e0e60fe160f058e3d824ef79d.pdf

It's the #1 thing holding me back now. EA does this all the time. Brand new gameplay features, sometimes they're more groundbreaking than others. Demo comes out and the game actually feels different. People complain that things are different and then immediately after release they come out with a patch that nerfs the changes and the game feels pretty much the same. Its almost like the games are rigged. It's impossible to have a genuinely competitive online experience when dynamic difficulty is programmed to get in the way.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I'm glad they started to penalize poke check spammers. The new spam is stick lift.

I exclusively play online vs, and from what I can tell, the major issue is that even the lowest rated player can check your player like an all stat when its the AI controlling them.

I think the game would be more competitive if the NPC skaters weren't all awesome even if the opponent's controlled player is correctly playing its' position.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

JohnnyBerts

Oct 30, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
People either forget, have not heard, or choose to ignore that THIS is a thing...

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/16c4/5d99437bd43e0e60fe160f058e3d824ef79d.pdf

It's the #1 thing holding me back now. EA does this all the time. Brand new gameplay features, sometimes they're more groundbreaking than others. Demo comes out and the game actually feels different. People complain that things are different and then immediately after release they come out with a patch that nerfs the changes and the game feels pretty much the same. Its almost like the games are rigged. It's impossible to have a genuinely competitive online experience when dynamic difficulty is programmed to get in the way.

Wow that's such an interesting article. I feel like a ginny pig. Makes a lot of sense though.

The way I feel right now, I'm hooked on trying to get Ray Ferraro through the collectibles. I play 3 games and turn it off because it's the least fun version since '14 .. for me anyway.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Had NHL 19 for a week and I'm ready to sell the darn thing. Such a frustrating game.

I applaud people who found creative new ways to cheese in Online Versus now that spamming poke check doesn't work... my favorite is the non stop interference/holding without actually hitting to avoid a penalty and pushing my Pejorative Slured Sabres AI offside to break up plays. Ripping shots top shelf opposite corner from the blue line as soon as they enter the zone because you can't defend against it and 1 of 5 times that'll go in.

I mean, it's such an uphill battle to just play a decent game of hockey anymore, I think getting rid of the poke check made things worse. I could fight fire with fire with that, but the level of desperation in these people to win these ultimately meaningless games is too much. How far do I need to lower myself really.

I've had health issues lately and this game is the furthest thing from anything resembling entertainment. This shit just isn't worth it. Life is too god damn short. Would rather just watch more hockey for my fix (and I'm a Sabres fan; so that's f***ing saying something these last few years).

It's too bad, because the beta was pretty fun. Annoying but fair once you learned to poke check properly. Before people found new ways to f*** things up (or old ways they just didn't bother with as much before).

Last edited:

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
So will the game ever give all time teams like an all time Habs, all time Oilers, etc or is the best we can expect just the 3 legends teams (with ugly jerseys) that has every player there?

DollarAndADream

Feb 27, 2012
I was just winning 7-1 halfway through the game in a 3on3 EASHL club game. Disconnected and got a loss. Lmao

We've only played enough to get to Div 4 though so I'm not too upset, but if that was a top divisional game I'd be like wtf.

I've had some connection issues tonight that's for sure, including my teammate. Error codes joining locker room, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad