NHL 19 Discussion Thread - Part II

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
So basically everyone just holds hit when defending now? Also noticed my player automatically knocks puck of opponents stick without even pressing the auto-tripping button.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
So... I picked up NHL 19 this weekend. I was happy and disappointed at the same time.

I love the changes made to Franchise mode with Fog of War and the new scouting. That being said, it is really easy to see who is going to hit their potential and who isn't. The prospects who demanded outrageous amounts on their second contracts for a 6-8 year term (despite still being in the mid to high 70's), are the ones who pan out. Those that will accept like 2.5 million on an 8 year deal, do not. With how little the cap increases each year, it makes keeping some of your own players that much harder. Not that it should be easy but there should be a certain risk/reward to handing out longer contracts.

I wish they would get rid of the stupid facility repairs and upgrades. It is such a waste of time and so stupid but, if you want to play with any sort of challenge and be able to be fired, you need to keep that part of the game on.

The new scouting is really good - although keeping track of 20 scouts takes a lot of time.

Fog of war is great and it adds a nice challenge and element to the game. HOWEVER, I have a prospect that I drafted when he was 18 - A goal keeper in the OHL (I have multiple scouts in the OHL and AHL) and he is now 22 and is still all question marks with no potential, no trade value, no overall. This is the second prospect I have had this happen with. I find it hard to believe that after 4 years, the team doesn't even have a VAGUE idea of what this guy is going to look like.

CHEL - tried it but gave up very early as the create a character mode is broken. Hair colors don't work, hell, I couldn't even give my guy a beard, etc.

I give the the changes to franchise mode an A. If you enjoy franchise mode it is worth getting. I give the rest of the game a C-. Just sloppy and lazy. Be A Pro is still the same boring shit it always is. It doesn't need a ton of production value to be more fun. Add drills/work outs/practice time to help with character progression. Go look back at what NHL Hitz did for their mode. They had legend equipment and such. There is so much more that can be done even within a tight budget.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It's like they got 90% done on everything. It's a shame, the cap increase is still an issue for Franchise mode. You should never have a situation where certain players don't sign. Just adjust their ask to a 1 year deal at a much lower rate once the season starts. Have it so the best FA after the season starts is an aging 80ish vet.

Last edited:

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
@Tavares2Matthews

I've noticed simular leap in development for players forced in roles above their weight class. Gautier skyrocked when I put him in a 3rd line role despite being initially AHL calibre. Similarly, Connor brown regressed slightly after playing mostly 4th line minutes.

I've also been noticing around the league, players on basement teams seem to vastly outgrow expectations, which I suspect it's because they are usually playing more minutes than they would otherwise.

I really hope this is all coincidental.

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
It's like they got 90% done on everything. It's a shame, the cap increase is still an issue for Franchise mode. You should never have a situation where certain players don't sign. Just adjust their ask to a 1 year deal at a much lower rate once the season starts. Have it so the best FA after the season starts is an aging 80ish vet.

It's becoming extremely clear that long term deals are almost never worth it with the extremely small cap growth combined with the massive term premium.

It makes sense that an RFA would command a higher salary with more term, but even 40 something year old Zdeno Chara is vastly more expensive per year term added. It's such lazy design.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Online feels like nhl arcade mode. Just shoot and hit, don’t bother with creativity or defense because you’re going to take 400 penalties and lose the puck.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I went back to play some 18 today. In the regular season of franchise mode I've got it at a good balance, win some lose some.

But once the playoffs roll around it doesn't matter who I'm playing they turn on god mode and I'm screwed. Takes a lot of the fun out of the game for me. This gen has been a bust imo.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I went back to play some 18 today. In the regular season of franchise mode I've got it at a good balance, win some lose some.

But once the playoffs roll around it doesn't matter who I'm playing they turn on god mode and I'm screwed. Takes a lot of the fun out of the game for me. This gen has been a bust imo.

It uses different methodology. Basically load up on guys with offensive/defensive awareness.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I am so genuinely disappointed with the online experience this year.

Every single game is a complete shit show. You can't do anything skillful. It's just a loose puck frenzy where there is no rhyme or reason why one player wins the puck battle over another. It's a complete mess.

Nothing works, ever. The game is reacting randomly at every input. Its impossible to break away from anyone, even McDavid. The skill gap is lacking. You're better off mashing the left stick than actually trying to stickhandle or change pace. Passing is all messed up.

The online gameplay is just so f***ing boring.

I'm sad to say that I am done with the NHL franchise and my PS4 (chel was the only game I really played). I was a top twenty versus player and defenseman for a top 5 club for years. This game was really special to me for a long time and got me through some shit. I'm sure some of it has to do with me, I've lost my passion for gaming which has hurt my skills no doubt. But I miss the high-paced, creative gameplay of chel from the past.

Wish you guys all the best with this game. I hope it goes back to what it was. Never thought I would stop playing chel...

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I'm loving the gameplay, to be honest.

I'm a franchise mode guy, though, so I do a lot of simming. And I've gotta say...I'm struggling to put together a practical approach to the scouting system.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I’ve gotten 2 penalties in 21 games. Gotta use your body and lift stick more. Your guy will knock the puck away by itself most of the time if you play the body right

That’s what makes it feel arcadey. You just skate into people now instead of keeping a good gap.

Reactions: Hypernova

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Was there a patch put out today? Whenever I go for a poke check it isn't an auto penalty

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
so the game was always broken?
It's not broken, it's just a method to make it more realistic. Some teams are really good in the regular season and suck in the playoffs like real-life. They built it, so it can have some aspects of that.

Lyons71

Jun 27, 2003
Fullerton, CA
Visit site
Hey guys. Did they make any changes to be a pro at all? Like fixing the bugs where no one wants the best player in the league? Any AI changes to make it less like babysitting?

I know they changed the skating so everyone skates like Mcdavid now, and the chel and franchise changes... but I only play be a pro.

VLU5

Aug 21, 2014
Do not buy this game if you only play be a pro. Stick to 18
I only play be a pro and don't regret buying it. Of course the lack of new features was very disappointing but it is still better than 18. If you're such a BAP geek that you're still playing it on 18, I'd recommend buying 19. The AI is better, skating is better, puck pick-ups are better, traits are cool addition etc.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
As someone who thought 18 was atrocious I really got to give it up to EA for improving the gameplay.

THINGS I LIKE:

Players making realistic passes up ice (not a backhand that somehow connects up ice). The players actually face the direction they are passing in.

The computer CPU doesn't walk up and steal the puck away from me like its no problem. My players can actually skate forward without getting the puck stolen each time by the CPU.

The good NHL goalies play better than the average ones.

The AI on your team is much better at getting into scoring positions and getting a scoring chance unlike 18 where your teammates were way far off in the distance and gave you zero help forcing you to do everything yourself.

I've been playing NHL since the mid 90's this might be one of the best in a really long time.

THINGS I DON'T LIKE:

The graphics are terrible not even average. Compared to Madden 19 which looks spectacular and 2k19 which looks very very good, this NHL game pales in comparison. (Why the heck does the logo crest on the jersey flow as if it were in the wind? A jersey logo is solid and hard it shouldn't bend nor flow lol)

Commentary is once again terrible especially compared to the aforementioned games. No week to week updates no excitement no real flow to the action.

The hitting is a little unrealistic far too often are guys getting laid out on every check, I don't mind hitting often but its a bit too unrealistic when guys get plowed Campbell - Umberger style on every hit.

*FWIW I don't play the other game modes such as Chel's, Be a Pro or EASHL etc ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Lyons71

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Tried 3 times, at least 5 minutes each, to get into an eashl game. It's absolutely ridiculous. Especially considering I'm still on the trial... I'm just wasting time trying to play the only game mode I really wanna play.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Tried 3 times, at least 5 minutes each, to get into an eashl game. It's absolutely ridiculous. Especially considering I'm still on the trial... I'm just wasting time trying to play the only game mode I really wanna play.

If that’s the only mode you want to play I’d suggest getting it. EASHL is much better this year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad