NHL 19 Discussion Thread - Part II

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
It's not broken, it's just a method to make it more realistic. Some teams are really good in the regular season and suck in the playoffs like real-life. They built it, so it can have some aspects of that.
No, I get that. It's just you can be better built than your opponent and they'll still swarm all over you.

(I know this is 19 talk, not trying to derail anything.)

Hypernova

Apr 20, 2007
Boston, MA
www.worldwrasslinpodcast.com
The new scouting is really good - although keeping track of 20 scouts takes a lot of time.

Fog of war is great and it adds a nice challenge and element to the game. HOWEVER, I have a prospect that I drafted when he was 18 - A goal keeper in the OHL (I have multiple scouts in the OHL and AHL) and he is now 22 and is still all question marks with no potential, no trade value, no overall. This is the second prospect I have had this happen with. I find it hard to believe that after 4 years, the team doesn't even have a VAGUE idea of what this guy is going to look like.

It's really dumb but i noticed if you force them to play in the preseason, you usually get a good idea what most of their attributes are.

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
I'm happy to hear about the scouting changes and updates to franchise mode, it's all I play. Guess I'll grab this in a few weeks when I finish up Spiderman and Tomb Raider

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
anyone know how to play the new NHL Ones mode against friends? I couldn't find a way

obviously it would have to be unranked. if they seriously don't have a way to play friends thats so dumb

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I am so genuinely disappointed with the online experience this year.

Every single game is a complete **** show. You can't do anything skillful. It's just a loose puck frenzy where there is no rhyme or reason why one player wins the puck battle over another. It's a complete mess.

Nothing works, ever. The game is reacting randomly at every input. Its impossible to break away from anyone, even McDavid. The skill gap is lacking. You're better off mashing the left stick than actually trying to stickhandle or change pace. Passing is all messed up.

The online gameplay is just so ****ing boring.

I'm sad to say that I am done with the NHL franchise and my PS4 (chel was the only game I really played). I was a top twenty versus player and defenseman for a top 5 club for years. This game was really special to me for a long time and got me through some ****. I'm sure some of it has to do with me, I've lost my passion for gaming which has hurt my skills no doubt. But I miss the high-paced, creative gameplay of chel from the past.

Wish you guys all the best with this game. I hope it goes back to what it was. Never thought I would stop playing chel...

I agree with the description of the online experience. NHL 18 had serious problems when it was released too though and eventually they were patched. I just don’t know why the release iteration of every game this gen has to be a mess before it’s patched. Is it to coax unskilled players into buying it by making the game a random toss-up?

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I love the updates to Franchise mode which is my favorite mode of the game. Trying to figure out the scouting but I'll get it eventually.

Trading is overwhelmingly frustrating, it shouldn't be easy, but I'll offer a fair deal that the CPU says they're exactly looking for on the trade block only to get rejected unless I drastically overpay.

Also as a hobby I enjoy creating NCAA teams with full custom rosters, so I'm disappointed the Create-A-Player feature doesn't allow you to select no play-by-play name and you're forced to give them something.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Anyone who is saying the game is terrible, absolutely never played hockey or they are used to spamming pokecheck and going in circles all game long.

This game is the best NHL since '11. Eashl is also lots of fun. If you play smart hockey, you cycle the puck well, play well positioned hockey, you are going to enjoy. This game actually requires team effort.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
was really loving this game at first, but last night every team we played in EASHL was going this same glitch goal every time and never missed

just hold the puck on your back hand and come in on your off wing, then quickly bring it forehand and shoot when you're in front of the net

I kid you not I've never seen it miss

it got so bad last night one of my friends actually uninstalled the game already lol. a bit of an overreaction but it was very frustrating

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Anyone who is saying the game is terrible, absolutely never played hockey or they are used to spamming pokecheck and going in circles all game long.

This game is the best NHL since '11. Eashl is also lots of fun. If you play smart hockey, you cycle the puck well, play well positioned hockey, you are going to enjoy. This game actually requires team effort.
Just wait for the glitches to be exploited.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
I'm pleasantly surprised at how good the gameplay is. A lot of the major AI problems from 18 are gone (laser passing, 50/50s being 99/1s, etc). Passing is still very suspect overall, but since the AI can be brought down to your level, it's not as annoying anymore.

Penalties can still be very annoying. Even with the AI penalty sliders all higher than mine, I'm still regularly being called for 5+ penalties and not getting a single PP of my own. And before anyone says "stop spamming pokecheck" or something along those lines, 1) the AI takes at least 50% of my penalties and 2) I've slid the tripping penalty sliders all the way down to 8 & 4. Tripping is still easily the most common penalty (which is itself a joke), but the AI is just as guilty as I am at taking them.

I've also noticed there might be a bit of an edge-of-screen bug where your player will spin and start momentarily skating in the opposite direction of the controller as the camera moves past. It may just be my controller, so I'd be interested to hear if that's just me or not.

I have no complaints at all otherwise. I think I'm going to enjoy playing this game. Maybe I'll even make it through a full season for once. :laugh:

ETA: Okay, still just one complaint...maybe it's two, I'm not sure. I'm still unhappy that preseason rosters don't expand. Even worse this year, preseason stats only show up for players currently on the roster, which means you have to go through all your players individually to see their stats. It's very tedious and makes actually trying to run a realistic preseason schedule very time-consuming. Even just having rosters expand to 35 players would still allow most team's AHL roster to still fill a full lineup, so I'm at a loss as to why they don't allow it.

Last edited:

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
September 19th @ 2am PST - Tuner 1.01
  • Poke checks now need to get a slightly larger piece of the player to cause them to trip
  • Increase to pokecheck accuracy when poking to ideal angles
  • Additional tuning for how goalies read the future puck position/potential shot position on dekes
  • Added consistency for user goalies to transition to post hug at extreme facing directions
  • Tuning for goalies commitment logic when considering dropping to butterfly
  • Decreased team energy gain off whistles – was allowing 1st and 2nd lines to be put out more often than intended
  • AI goalies are more likely to come out to play the puck on long dump ins
  • Players are now unable to drop their stick in Ones

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I didn't really want to buy this game, but my son was overly excited about it, so I bought digital so he could play it right away. With that said, I'm pleasantly surprised so far. I've played about a dozen games to tweak the sliders, and so far, it feels like the sliders work. Which is a great change from last year.

I've been playing some very competitive simulation games, and don't feel like the AI is cheating me on goals, or catch-up speed for CPU controlled players. At least so far. That definitely gives me hope for this year.

I don't usually play franchise mode until after I feel really good about my sliders and tweak the rosters a little bit; but the changes to scouting/development have me interested.

There is a still a lot i'd like to have changed/added, but so far it's good.

Reactions: Leafsdude7

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
anyone know how to play the new NHL Ones mode against friends? I couldn't find a way

obviously it would have to be unranked. if they seriously don't have a way to play friends thats so dumb

I also find it dumb you can’t play ones offline say with 3 people in a room. It’s the perfect party game mode for groups.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Gonna shelf this game until they fix the online balancing. Games a f***ing mess online.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
September 19th @ 2am PST - Tuner 1.01
  • Poke checks now need to get a slightly larger piece of the player to cause them to trip
  • Increase to pokecheck accuracy when poking to ideal angles
  • Additional tuning for how goalies read the future puck position/potential shot position on dekes
  • Added consistency for user goalies to transition to post hug at extreme facing directions
  • Tuning for goalies commitment logic when considering dropping to butterfly
  • Decreased team energy gain off whistles – was allowing 1st and 2nd lines to be put out more often than intended
  • AI goalies are more likely to come out to play the puck on long dump ins
  • Players are now unable to drop their stick in Ones

Yet no fix to the PS4 EASHL dressing room bug. It's unforgivable how a company as big as EA (even if the NHL team is small) launches with a literal GAME BREAKING bug that prevents someone from playing. Almost every time someone gets dropped from a game in the lobby (either on your team or the other). Inexcusable.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
I need help. I don't understand the Monthly rewards collectibles. Can someone explain the x10 and x25 ones to me. How do I get those???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad