NHL 19 Discussion Thread - Part II

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
I'm so sick of being forced into fights. Just because I shot it a split second after the whistle and the other asshole wants to fight.

I should get the option to decline and not waste my time.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
What is everyone's favourite mode so far?

I don't really understand the hype or appeal behind World of Chel. It is fun to play an arcadey style game, but it's not something you can play for that long as the gimmick wears off. The customization and whatnot is fun, but that's not enough to hold my interest.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
What is everyone's favourite mode so far?

I don't really understand the hype or appeal behind World of Chel. It is fun to play an arcadey style game, but it's not something you can play for that long as the gimmick wears off. The customization and whatnot is fun, but that's not enough to hold my interest.
Personally? World of Chel will remain interesting to me until I get all the Sabres garb I possibly can, being casual as I am it'll probably take me a while. Thankfully I find Ones in particular to be a lot of fun, and having that goal gives me more of a reason to try Threes and EASHL pick up games than I had in other years. Annoying at times, but fun.

Otherwise, I'll be doing Online Versus until the end of time. Just like every other year. I'm not a fan of the offline stuff really. (Which is funny because it's the only game series I am that way with, usually I'm all offline.)

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
EA has nearly destroyed VS. I understand that they feel the need to keep teams competitive, but when I lose after 2-1 after outshooting an opponent 46-12 and miss the net on nearly 20 glorious scoring chances.........what's the point??? I simply don't get how they think this is fun for anyone. I was in the opposition end 80% of the time. Just trying to understand the mindset of the developers.

Reactions: Lana Del Rey

mhart1

Maniac Caniac
Oct 8, 2013
Pori
I need help. I don't understand the Monthly rewards collectibles. Can someone explain the x10 and x25 ones to me. How do I get those???
@CourtneyDagger50

First you have to submit 10 daily reward cards on Tier 1, which gives you a "10x card".

Then you have to submit the 10x card + 15 more reward cards on Tier 2, which gives you a "25x card". Then you submit that 25x card and another 15 reward cards on Tier 3 which gives you Ferraro.

It's a grind tbf, you have to complete daily progressions aswell to get extra reward cards so that you have enough of them. Unless you don't sleep/have work etc... :)

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
in Franchise mode every time I fight I end up with a 5 minute PK and the guy I fight stays out of the box. Anyone else have the same issue?

Other than that I am enjoying so far

Reactions: mk80

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
EA has nearly destroyed VS. I understand that they feel the need to keep teams competitive, but when I lose after 2-1 after outshooting an opponent 46-12 and miss the net on nearly 20 glorious scoring chances.........what's the point??? I simply don't get how they think this is fun for anyone. I was in the opposition end 80% of the time. Just trying to understand the mindset of the developers.
It's so frustrating when you play the same guy 2-3 times in a row, same teams, and you absolutely dominate the play in every game, but lose by a goal and win by 7 when the "bounces go your way"

I think it was NHL 16 or maybe 17 that I started off 19-1 in Versus, then proceeded to lose about a half dozen in a row, most were the same scenario (dominate play, lose by 1). I think I stopped playing somewhere around a 40-20 record or so (roughly 50:50 win ratio after game 20). I'm by no means a top player, but I'd consider myself above average. It wasn't like I was expecting to continue a 95% win record, but it was just the absolute abruptness with which the game changed that was frustrating.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Irritates me how I seem unable to do anything hit wise online. I hit them but my player just bounces off and they skate away, every time

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
With every new release, I start with a clean slate in Online Versus. And it's the most pure games of hockey you'll ever play online.

As you start winning more, and you get matched against "better" players... the game nosedives quickly into simple matchups of who can cheat the system more. Then it becomes less about playing hockey, trying different things and outsmarting eachother... and more about being stuck making the same one or two defensive plays against the same one or two exploitative offensive plays every single time the other player has the puck in your zone. All game long.

And they score, and are too busy jacking it to their replay to skip it... because you're stuck making the same one or two exact defensive plays 100 times throughout the game, but 1 or 2 of those times you go down to block the pass a second too late, or missed a poke check by a few inches.

Which is not only frustrating, but boring. I mean is it really worth sucking every ounce of creativity/fun out of it just to win a dumb game online against some random person?

Last edited:
Reactions: DoktorJeep

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
Don't really like it, to be honest.

All I play is 3's EASHL with my buddies and all of us agree it's not as fun as 18. I'm a power forward with brute strength and a gust of wind will blow me off the puck. All it takes it a soft shove and it's gone. CPU defensemen skate as fast as McDavid. And for some reason I'm stuck with brown hair because apparently blonde doesn't exist? There are already a few glitches which work upwards of 75% of the time that are being exploited. All you have to do it just hit and shoot, there's no skill involved whatsoever.

It's still fun and I'll keep playing just because it's chel, but it's just kinda bland. Maybe I'm just used to my club scoring 5-6 goals a game in 18, and now almost every game is 2-1 or 3-2, but I don't know. Just not doing it for me so far.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I'm so sick of being forced into fights. Just because I shot it a split second after the whistle and the other ******* wants to fight.

I should get the option to decline and not waste my time.

I know in the beta you can't spam tea-bagging anymore, but does holding L1 to stop fights not work in this game?

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
I haven’t bought the game since 5 years. I was mainly a franchise player. Reading the feedback here is making me want to buy it.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I am so genuinely disappointed with the online experience this year.

Every single game is a complete **** show. You can't do anything skillful. It's just a loose puck frenzy where there is no rhyme or reason why one player wins the puck battle over another. It's a complete mess.

Nothing works, ever. The game is reacting randomly at every input. Its impossible to break away from anyone, even McDavid. The skill gap is lacking. You're better off mashing the left stick than actually trying to stickhandle or change pace. Passing is all messed up.

The online gameplay is just so ****ing boring.

I'm sad to say that I am done with the NHL franchise and my PS4 (chel was the only game I really played). I was a top twenty versus player and defenseman for a top 5 club for years. This game was really special to me for a long time and got me through some ****. I'm sure some of it has to do with me, I've lost my passion for gaming which has hurt my skills no doubt. But I miss the high-paced, creative gameplay of chel from the past.

Wish you guys all the best with this game. I hope it goes back to what it was. Never thought I would stop playing chel...

This is what gets to me the most. Playing sports (or a sports game) is all about the creativity. EA has increasingly gotten away from that for some bizarre reason. Every game plays the same now, no skill, no reason. It's basically a chore to play NHL online now.

I'm just gonna stick to FIFA those guys do a somewhat decent job compared to EA NHL. f*** these devs. can't believe i got scammed to pay 80 dollars for this shit.

JohnnyBerts

Oct 30, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
With every new release, I start with a clean slate in Online Versus. And it's the most pure games of hockey you'll ever play online.

As you start winning more, and you get matched against "better" players... the game nosedives quickly into simple matchups of who can cheat the system more. Then it becomes less about playing hockey, trying different things and outsmarting eachother... and more about being stuck making the same one or two defensive plays against the same one or two exploitative offensive plays every single time the other player has the puck in your zone. All game long.

And they score, and are too busy jacking it to their replay to skip it... because you're stuck making the same one or two exact defensive plays 100 times throughout the game, but 1 or 2 of those times you go down to block the pass a second too late, or missed a poke check by a few inches.

Which is not only frustrating, but boring. I mean is it really worth sucking every ounce of creativity/fun out of it just to win a dumb game online against some random person?

Online versus is the best mode in the game. However, yes as you get matched against "better" players it will always be about not making that one mistake that costs you the game and it gets repetitive. That's what it's like as you advance though. It's easy to beat up on everyone else as you go through less skilled guys.

That's what stirs things up with HUT. I often beat players with better teams or win games I don't deserve to. Or sometimes all my shots miss the net and my players move more slowly. It skews the game-play toward one team which stinks but it means the better player doesn't always win. I don't find that happens in online versus.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Online versus is the best mode in the game. However, yes as you get matched against "better" players it will always be about not making that one mistake that costs you the game and it gets repetitive. That's what it's like as you advance though. It's easy to beat up on everyone else as you go through less skilled guys.

That's what stirs things up with HUT. I often beat players with better teams or win games I don't deserve to. Or sometimes all my shots miss the net and my players move more slowly. It skews the game-play toward one team which stinks but it means the better player doesn't always win. I don't find that happens in online versus.
What he is saying though is the higher you go the more people cheese to win. Not by actually being better at the game, but just by exploiting the poor game mechanics that have existed for 10yrs now

Reactions: Dreakon13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->