Confirmed with Link: Dillon Dube takes leave from Calgary Flames (TSN reports he's been asked to Surrender to London ON Police)

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Yeah I imagine the league has told everyone to shut their traps and they’ll just keep spamming all star stuff and hope people forget about it until it finally goes to trial in like 2026 or something

Standard hockey culture

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The lead story on Calgary CTV news was the statement that Dube was taking a leave because of mental health reasons. Multiple news organizations have requested an interview with the Flames but there has been no response.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
So the Flames are saying they were deceived. HF posters mad they were unable to talk about who was connected for legal reasons are more informed than the Flames front office.

Reactions: Rubi

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
We have now become aware of the charge of sexual assault that has been laid against Dillon Dube. We take this matter very seriously. Because the matter is now pending legal proceedings, we will have no further comment at this time.

We had no knowledge of pending charges at the time Dillon’s request for a leave of absence was granted.

Seriously? No further comment? Didn't know?

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
I mean legally they probably aren’t allowed to comment

They denied knowing which is pretty much all you can ask for as a fan. Whether we believe it or not is kind of irrelevant. Believe what you want

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
The Flames said they "had no knowledge of pending charges" (emphasis added) when they granted Dube leave, which is probably technically true since London Police hadn't announced any charges at the time.

It's also meaningless lawyer-approved language fully intended to cause readers to erroneously conclude that the Flames are saying they had no knowledge of Dube's connection to the investigation (which is exactly what is happening here and on social media).

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
The Flames said they "had no knowledge of pending charges" (emphasis added) when they granted Dube leave, which is probably technically true since London Police hadn't announced any charges at the time.

It's also meaningless lawyer-approved language fully intended to cause readers to erroneously conclude that the Flames are saying they had no knowledge of Dube's connection to the investigation (which is exactly what it happening here and on social media).
We must be on different social media because I’m only seeing them getting absolutely cooked lmao

I think they’ll turn comments off within the hour

helloconga

Oct 12, 2023
Florida
situation is a mess at all around and i’m sad the flames have to deal with this. hopefully it doesn’t distract the team…

go flames! really want them to make the playoffs.

• Haha
Reactions: Wisp

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
We must be on different social media because I’m only seeing them getting absolutely cooked lmao

I think they’ll turn comments off within the hour
People are deriding them because they (erroneously) think the Flames are saying that they didn't know about Dube's connection to the investigation. Which is not what the Flames said in their statement.

The power of weasel words.

Reactions: crackdown44

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Now that they know he's being charged the 'leave of absence' should be changed to 'suspended with pay'.

In workplaces I've been a part of whenever someone is charged with a crime they're suspended until their charge is resolved.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
See but then there’s stuff like this floating around

Flyers knew about Hart, and the Sens clearly knew about Alex Formenton. Everyone knew better than to sign Formenton too.

I dunno, the Flames asking us to believe they didn't know doesn't say good things about them either. Either they are being deceptive or amateur hour. From my impression, they're both...

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Is a day in court when you're charged with something no longer a thing? Lots of judges who've heard all the evidence here apparently.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I mean legally they probably aren’t allowed to comment

They denied knowing which is pretty much all you can ask for as a fan. Whether we believe it or not is kind of irrelevant. Believe what you want
They can't comment about the case. They can certainly answer questions in a news conference about what they knew and when and about their misleading statement about the reason for Dube's leave of absence.
That 4 line statement makes them look like they are hiding from the press.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
They can't comment about the case. They can certainly answer questions in a news conference about what they knew and when and about their misleading statement about the reason for Dube's leave of absence.
That 4 line statement makes them look like they are hiding from the press.
Based on what evidence? I mean it's been reported the players didn't tell their teams on advice of legal counsel. It's likely they put 2 and 2 together the day after when the London police announced that they were asking for the surrender of 5 players. What should they say at that point exactly?

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Based on what evidence? I mean it's been reported the players didn't tell their teams on advice of legal counsel. It's likely they put 2 and 2 together the day after when the London police announced that they were asking for the surrender of 5 players. What should they say at that point exactly?
Wouldn't a news conference where reporters can ask non charges related questions be wonderful? Where these things could be clarified? Instead the Flames have issued a four line statement that says we aren't going to talk about Dillon Dube or the way we as an organization have handled the situation. The hatches to the bunker are now closed and locked. Go away media.

Last edited:

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Wouldn't a news conference where reporters can ask non charges related questions be wonderful? Where these things could be clarified? Instead the Flames have issued a four line statement that says we aren't going to talk about Dillon Dube or the way we as an organization have handled the situation. The hatches to the bunker are now closed and locked. Go away.
Do you think it's appropriate to hold a news conference before a man has had his day in court? Is this China or North Korea? They answered the question we had, "Did they know?" The answer was no and this has been corroborated by the journalist who has been on the story. The Flames aren't charged here. If you were up on sexual assault charges (innocent or guilty) should your employer hold a news conference about you before you've had a chance to defend the allegations?

EDITED: I now realize you were saying the Flames are saying go away. My apologies. See what jumping to conclusions does?

Go away? That's how rational you are?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Do you think it's appropriate to hold a news conference before a man has had his day in court? Is this China or North Korea? They answered the question we had, "Did they know?" The answer was no and this has been corroborated by the journalist who has been on the story. The Flames aren't charged here. If you were up on sexual assault charges (innocent or guilty) should your employer hold a news conference about you before you've had a chance to defend the allegations?

Go away? That's how rational you are?
I'm not telling you to go away. I'm saying that's what the Flames are telling the media to do.
Its a stupid plan and the longer the Flames refuse to talk to the media about the situation the more stupid and incompetent they look.
The Flames organization is getting burnt to a crisp in social media.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Now that they know he's being charged the 'leave of absence' should be changed to 'suspended with pay'.

In workplaces I've been a part of whenever someone is charged with a crime they're suspended until their charge is resolved.

Bettman will probably issue a suspension with pay for all five players very soon, now that charges have formally been filed. That’s what the league did with Voynov.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
So essentially the Flames deny that they knew it was related to the assault and won’t comment further.
No, they denied having knowledge of “pending charges”, not knowledge of the allegations or that the leave request related to the allegations. The choice of language is very carefully crafted, and most certainly drafted and/or reviewed by a team of lawyers. It all but confirms that they knew about the allegations and that the request was related to them, because if not, then why not state that in their release? They could have just stated that they had no knowledge that the leave request was related in anyway to the allegations, which they would have stated if it was true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad