Confirmed with Link: Dillon Dube takes leave from Calgary Flames (TSN reports he's been asked to Surrender to London ON Police)

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

TSN just named Dube. If its true, kinda makes me sick how he went off on "mental health"
Agreed. Lots of bullshit all around. The PR release too. Garbage.

Kind of the point about "no speculation" really.

What we know is outlined in the release by the Calgary Flames, who clearly worded it very carefully.

We will know more on or before February 5.

Until there is something new to discuss, we really don't have any reason to continue here.
Going to have to give a no to the bolded. Pretty bad look for the organization here too.

Reactions: Fig and Zirakzigil

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Two things can be true, even if the optics are complete trash. It is, however, exactly what we knew about the situation at the time.

Becky from PR has some work to do.
It could've absolutely been true that Dube was having a mental health crisis. Why disclose it specifically? Say he's on leave for personal reasons and no comment will be made. Now ppl are going to doubt whatever future PR comes out. Terrible.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Bad look for the team in this story. Conroy should have done better having witnessed the fallout with Bill Peters

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Said it in the main thread. If Dube claimed it was a mental health issue the Flames are obliged to report as such. If Dube lied that is on him, not the Flames.

Now, if they “colluded” with the player to give him cover that’s another issue.

Bashing the org for listening to their player is just nonsense though.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Said it in the main thread. If Dube claimed it was a mental health issue the Flames are obliged to report as such. If Dube lied that is on him, not the Flames.

I think it’s probably safe to assume that the team knew about the investigation. There’s a reason Formenton wasn’t signed, he’s 100% an NHL caliber player

Also I like to imagine that they’d have done their due diligence if he came to them asking for a mental health leave, especially knowing that he was potentially involved in this investigation

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Two things can be true, even if the optics are complete trash. It is, however, exactly what we knew about the situation at the time.

Becky from PR has some work to do.

here is the question that has been asked on multiple boards for a few days now since the first player got named. How many people in the hockey world knew about this? No team was going to touch that sens guy and that is one reason we knew he was involved. So questioning what the flames knew is just the start--clearly NHL teams had the list for awhile

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Do we know if the earnings in situations when proven guilty should be returned from the time when the crime happened?

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014

No I completely disagree, they are not obligated to report it as such they were obligated to report that he requested a leave they didn’t have to disclose a cause. especially as they most likely had a good idea what might be going on. They sh*t the bed in this and it is a bad look, period

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I don’t buy that the organization was blindsided by this news. Someone messed up here and should resign
There were two posters in Calgarypuck who said they had forewarned knowledge. One of them posted blatantly this was going down before even hart took his leave, but the post was deleted by the mods at the time.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
That Dube would lie about all of it means nothing; it just speaks further to his character. That no one on the Flames had the ability to see through it, or the willingness to do so however speaks volumes. It's embarrassing for the organization and ruins all the goodwill they built with the Kylington situation.

The idea that they had to parrot Dube's spineless messaging is absurd. They could have just said he was on leave for a personal issue, like they did with Kylington.

Honestly, it's the kind of tone deaf response that only John Bean could have come up with. Coincidently, his son was on that same 2018 WJC team alongside Dube.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012

I suppose this is something worth consideration. If that’s truly the case the team needs to come out with a firm statement that they were lied to and mislead

I am too stupid to imbed on mobile pls help

If the players are not telling the teams whats going on they how are we gonna blame the flames on this. I doubt the flames were told of the time lines of police investigation and that those 5 players were gonna be charged soon. Dube was the first to do it, when it first happened no one on here suspected it was team canada related. If dube say its a mental health issue then you cant fault the team for saying it as is. The players on the team sure af didnt know it was for anything beyond mental health, or else why would andersson come out and say mental health issue is a big deal and stop bullying players on twitter.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
If your average fan on the internet can put 2 and 2 together, there's no reason to think that Flames organization couldn't do the same.

It's like when they tried to lie about not knowing that Monahan was playing injured - 'but he told us he was fine'. Meanwhile he was playing like absolute crap, getting corticosteroid shots before every game, and Gaudreau (or someone else) would say how he was struggling to even walk. So while every fan with 2 brain cells to rub together figured it out, somehow the Flames, with all the inside information, didn't. Yeah, sure okay.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
The idea that they had to parrot Dube's spineless messaging is absurd. They could have just said he was on leave for a personal issue, like they did with Kylington.
If he shows up at work with a "doctor's note" recommending time off (which would be the equivalent for plebs like you and I) the team pretty much has no choice but to take him at his word and let him have time off. The tweet / podcast / whatever from Serivalli also points to a leak from the team, who are going on what they were told.

As Super pointed out earlier, no need for the team to provide any details about his reason for leave request. Just f***ing say "personal matter and no further comment at this time".

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
If your average fan on the internet can put 2 and 2 together, there's no reason to think that Flames organization couldn't do the same.

Doesn't actually matter.

Dube: "I need to leave, I am having a mental health crises."

Flames: "Nah I don't believe you."

Can't see that going well. Whether individuals in the org had doubts (and frankly we can't actually know that unless they say so), the only course of action remains the same.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
If the players are not telling the teams whats going on they how are we gonna blame the flames on this. I doubt the flames were told of the time lines of police investigation and that those 5 players were gonna be charged soon. Dube was the first to do it, when it first happened no one on here suspected it was team canada related. If dube say its a mental health issue then you cant fault the team for saying it as is. The players on the team sure af didnt know it was for anything beyond mental health, or else why would andersson come out and say mental health issue is a big deal and stop bullying players on twitter.
With all due respect, everyone has been suspecting this for years. Not saying that the Flames could have done something but they sure were suspecting.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
With all due respect, everyone has been suspecting this for years. Not saying that the Flames could have done something but they sure were suspecting.
If your argument is that we shouldve let Dube go the when the incident first come to light last year then whats a different story. Formenton just happend to be a FA and sens decided to let em go, Dube was alr signed at that point. This is a completely different matter. Flames as the employer isnt getting up to date info from the police about the investigation where they knew the charges are being laid next week, all they heard was prob dube stating its a mental health issue (players seem to think thats the issue) and reported as such. Theres no benefit to hiding SA charges thats coming to light in a week as mental health from the flames perspective, literally non.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad