Confirmed with Link: Dillon Dube takes leave from Calgary Flames (TSN reports he's been asked to Surrender to London ON Police)

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Wouldn't a news conference where reporters can ask non charges related questions be wonderful? Where these things could be clarified? Instead the Flames have issued a four line statement that says we aren't going to talk about Dillon Dube or the way we as an organization have handled the situation. The hatches to the bunker are now closed and locked. Go away.

What exactly are the questions you think will be answered that aren't out there already, will be answered as the case progresses or can figure out on your own with the information already out?

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
No, they denied having knowledge of “pending charges”, not knowledge of the allegations or that the leave request related to the allegations. The choice of language is very carefully crafted, and most certainly drafted and/or reviewed by a team of lawyers. It all but confirms that they knew about the allegations and that the request was related to them, because if not, then why not state that in their release? They could have just stated that they had no knowledge that the leave request was related in anyway to the allegations, which they would have stated if it was true.
I mean, it doesn’t ironclad prove it, but I agree the wording was deliberate.

Reactions: Fig

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
What exactly are the questions you think will be answered that aren't out there already, will be answered as the case progresses or can figure out on your own with the information already out?
Hold a question and answer news conference and lets find out. Don't hide behind a 4 line statement written by lawyers and refuse to talk about the situation any more.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
No, they denied having knowledge of “pending charges”, not knowledge of the allegations or that the leave request related to the allegations. The choice of language is very carefully crafted, and most certainly drafted and/or reviewed by a team of lawyers. It all but confirms that they knew about the allegations and that the request was related to them, because if not, then why not state that in their release? They could have just stated that they had no knowledge that the leave request was related in anyway to the allegations, which they would have stated if it was true.
Where did I say “allegations”?

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I mean, it doesn’t ironclad prove it, but I agree the wording was deliberate.
For sure, it’s impossible to prove without doubt what they did or didn’t know. But it is extremely likely that they knew about the languages and suspected the leave request related to them. Otherwise, why not come out and state otherwise and completely exonerate themselves?

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Where did I say “allegations”?
Why is that relevant? Your summation of their press release was incorrect:

So essentially the Flames deny that they knew it was related to the assault and won’t comment further.

The Flames didn’t deny this. They denied having knowledge of the “pending charges”.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
For sure, it’s impossible to prove without doubt what they did or didn’t know. But it is extremely likely that they knew about the languages and suspected the leave request related to them. Otherwise, why not come out and state otherwise and completely exonerate themselves?

Because Dube may be having an actual mental health episode so wether they knew about allegations or not is meaningless.

It’s becoming obvious some people aren’t actually interested in the topic itself and are coming out of the woodwork with an ax to grind against the Flames.
Why is that relevant? Your summation of their press release was incorrect:

So essentially the Flames deny that they knew it was related to the assault and won’t comment further.

The Flames didn’t deny this. They denied having knowledge of the “pending charges”.
You tell me? You are the one emphasizing “not allegations” in your post. When I say “assault” what might I be referring to? Hmmmm. I will give you a hint: it’s something individuals are charged with.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Hold a question and answer news conference and lets find out. Don't hide behind a 4 line statement written by lawyers and refuse to talk about the situation any more.

You're delusional if you think they're doing that. No organization is holding a press conference to answer questions about a player allegedly sexually assaulting someone. They're going to let the court do it's job.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Because Dube may be having an actual mental health episode so wether they knew about allegations or not is meaningless.

It’s becoming obvious some people aren’t actually interested in the topic itself and are coming out of the woodwork with an ax to grind against the Flames.

You tell me? You are the one emphasizing “not allegations” in your post. When I say “assault” what might I be referring to? Hmmmm. I will give you a hint: it’s something individuals are charged with.
You mean to tell me a Canucks fan coming to the Flames board and arguing semantics isn't here for any other reason to rub it in?

I'm shocked. SHOCKED I SAY!

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Flames organization is between a rock and a hard place. They cant be happy at all. They wouldnt of released a statement about Dube going on mental health leave unless thats what they were told. Now they cant say anything because charges have been laid and the NHL will also have told them not to. I dont blame the team, I blame Dube.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Flames organization is between a rock and a hard place. They cant be happy at all. They wouldnt of released a statement about Dube going on mental health leave unless thats what they were told. Now they cant say anything because charges have been laid and the NHL will also have told them not to. I dont blame the team, I blame Dube.
And Dube's lawyers

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Agreed. I think posters need to consider the possibility here that the Flames used the language they did in their initial release because it reflected a reality. Meditate on the phrasing "in the care of health professionals".

Consider that this release was days before any of the other releases by other teams which ultimately ended up relating to this.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
Well I guess we’ll have some extra cap space when his contract is terminated.

Disappointed to say the least in Dube. Wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt when the allegations first came out because he was the captain of that team and hoped he wouldn’t have been part of it.

I don’t think for a second the organization didn’t know what was going on.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

The Flames still deserve the flack because they look incompetent. Dube being charged was still a possibility because the matter was ongoing and they didn't see it coming when they had reason to.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well I guess we’ll have some extra cap space when his contract is terminated.

Disappointed to say the least in Dube. Wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt when the allegations first came out because he was the captain of that team and hoped he wouldn’t have been part of it.

I don’t think for a second the organization didn’t know what was going on.
His contract won't be terminated due to an accusation, and there is little chance this trial happens before the season ends.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
His contract won't be terminated due to an accusation, and there is little chance this trial happens before the season ends.
I wonder if now that he is formally charged if the Flames, or maybe the NHL might terminate the contracts? There isn't really a good historical comparison but Mike Richards had his contract terminated after being hit with drug charges.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Agreed. I think posters need to consider the possibility here that the Flames used the language they did in their initial release because it reflected a reality. Meditate on the phrasing "in the care of health professionals".

Consider that this release was days before any of the other releases by other teams which ultimately ended up relating to this.

How many days before was it? I think it was before the news article and a day or two before Hart. If he was indeed in the hands of medical professionals, that statement could have been a few days later too. IIRC, Dube was first to go on leave by a little bit of a time gap.

The allegations have been known for years but the pending charges not know by the Flames is plausible. Am I mistaken in that I think I think I recall that the police were supposed to say something in December? Dube could have gotten wind of it earlier and the Flames and other insiders found out a few days later. Still though, personal leave alone as they did Kylington would have been the better bet. I agree.

This situation is ugh. How do we find the Flames org in such huge PR tire fires? Wideman, Peters vs Babcock, Dube/Ronni... Also have the not fun stuff of Snowy on the side.

I really don't think they're intentionally trying to hide Dube's guilt and I definitely would take a break as a fan for a bit if indeed that was true. I admire what they've done for ALS/Snowy and Kylington/mental health. I wouldn't let the Dube situation delete that for me.

And anyone saying the Flames org should say more don't understand how both law and PR work. Flames saying more for Dube is why they look bush league right now. Saying less is more. No need to add more crap mumbling statements to look dumber once they've made that first misstep. They're better off doing what they've done so far and commenting carefully only after more details are revealed by police on Feb 5.

I'm not going to aim at the org for now and speculate cover-up or not. This topic alone is exhausting and depressing just contemplating and following up on it.

I wonder if now that he is formally charged if the Flames, or maybe the NHL might terminate the contracts? There isn't really a good historical comparison but Mike Richards had his contract terminated after being hit with drug charges.

I think I read Voynov is a good comparable contract wise. Weirdly enough, Perry's recent one might be too.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

Then the NHLPA filed a grievance and the Kings had to pay Richards anyway. Dube won't be participating in any team activities and only has the rest of this season remaining on his contract. I expect them to let the rest of his contract run out and not qualify him so he becomes a UFA. Trying to terminate his contract will probably take more time than just leaving it to expire.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Then the NHLPA filed a grievance and the Kings had to pay Richards anyway. Dube won't be participating in any team activities and only has the rest of this season remaining on his contract. I expect them to let the rest of his contract run out and not qualify him so he becomes a UFA. Trying to terminate his contract will probably take more time than just leaving it to expire.
I tend to agree, easier (if the Flames have the option) to just quietly let the contract expire.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Voynov was suspended w/ pay. I assume it goes that route since this is an allegation, where as Richards was caught red handed.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
You're delusional if you think they're doing that. No organization is holding a press conference to answer questions about a player allegedly sexually assaulting someone. They're going to let the court do it's job.
Nobody expects them to talk about the case. What they need to talk about is the mental health bullshit statement issued 9 days ago.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
With this statement, the Flames have somehow managed to take everyone's attention away from the Devils signing 2 of the 5 this summer

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Westhead reporting that lawyers that deal with sexual assault cases have said a trial before 2026 is unlikely

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Nobody expects them to talk about the case. What they need to talk about is the mental health bullshit statement issued 9 days ago.

The answer is clear why do you need them to say it? Dube told them it was mental health because he needed a reason and his lawyer told him not to tell the Flames why. The Flames granted him his leave. They're stupid for not suspecting it but there isn't a need for a press conference so we can hear them talk about how dumb they are.

Reactions: Lunatik and Fig

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2