Rumor: (Dhaliwal) - Teams showing Interest in Adam Gaudette + Virtanen Update

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
prospect or a pick.

other gm's probably heard the news going around that Jim's job might be on the line, and some teams might want to take advantage of that

I think other GMs (and agents) heard about Benning several years ago. However, the news is only now reaching the broken staircase in the Palace attic.

Last edited:

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Outside of cap space and a taker for Eriksson, what do the Canucks need for them?
At this point young cost controlled D would be the #1 ask, outside of Hughes the Canucks don't have much in the pipeline (Rathbone might be the only D prospect with actual NHL potential). The Canucks also need effective bottom 6 forwards that aren't being paid $3million a season. Motte types that understand their role as a bottom 6 player.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Yeah ok!

The kid has been treated different since day 1 with Green.

Agreed, not sure if a different coach would make any difference with Virtanen, but I sure would fire the lame duck coach before selling low on Virtanen. IF they trade him I hope he goes outside our division that is for sure.

I have to laugh when the Virtanen-Bennett debate comes up, seen people say Canucks need to add... I say why the f*** should we, Jake had 18 goals last year...Bennett had 12 FREAKIN points! Just cause he had a good 10 day stretch in the playoffs? Come on, its an even swap or Calgary adds a mid round pick in my opinion.

Would like to see Gallant hired, get Schmidt playing like his old self and see what he would do with the talent we have.

Reactions: biturbo19

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
At this stage I'd trade Virtanen for sure. There are a number of project players on the market right now, worth taking a shot in someone new over him. He has had so many chances and it just isn't working. I expect he will get his S*** together elsewhere, but it just won't happen here.

I'd give Gaudette a good look on the wing before moving him. He is a good player, but not a 3C.

I think 1-3 or worse against the Flames and Green is gone. I think he is a good coach, but we need to make a big shift. I think we have some nice pieces, but the team is a mess, a change of the voice may make a big difference.

I'm thinking there will be at least a few moves in Vancouver this week.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
They should just tank out this year, it's 56 games in an erratic money losing season and its looking like half of them are gonna be postponed. Who the hell cares if your team is a coof away from missing 2 weeks.

Hold on to Gaudette and Virtanen, get a high pick, then move Eriksson and other shit contracts over the summer

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
They should just tank out this year, it's 56 games in an erratic money losing season and its looking like half of them are gonna be postponed. Who the hell cares if your team is a coof away from missing 2 weeks.

Hold on to Gaudette and Virtanen, get a high pick, then move Eriksson and other shit contracts over the summer

We're tanking for sure. Not trading Gaudette and Virtanen for rentals - they're honestly just not a good fit (and not that good frankly). Virtanen will never reach his potential in Vancouver

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
At this point young cost controlled D would be the #1 ask, outside of Hughes the Canucks don't have much in the pipeline (Rathbone might be the only D prospect with actual NHL potential). The Canucks also need effective bottom 6 forwards that aren't being paid $3million a season. Motte types that understand their role as a bottom 6 player.
Juolevi has been very steady in his NHL games played. Far better than Chatfield who he was getting scratched for. Kid will be a top 4 Dman in this league.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Juolevi has been very steady in his NHL games played. Far better than Chatfield who he was getting scratched for. Kid will be a top 4 Dman in this league.
I haven't seen anything to indicate top4 is in Juolevi's future. 3rd pairing I can see, 2nd unit PP but his mobility is a big concern and this league has shown that skating is the most important factor with the speed and skill on the ice every shift. Juolevi is Draft+5 season and he's averaging less than 13 minutes a night on a terrible defensive team. I will agree he is better than Chatfield but my hopes of him being a regular top 4 in the NHL are dwindling.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Tough ask for those two from the Pens. We would have Riikola. Riikola for Virtanen would be of decent value. That said, Riikola is hurt so probably not.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
The Canucks should be clearing out players over 26 and re tooling.

In saying that if you can get a similar aged player who needs a change of scenery you look at it.

Was hoping they might trade him for Zadorov in the off season

Reactions: Canuck86

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020

Yes explain this: Why is Juolevi, who is "Far better than Chatfield who he was getting scratched for."

Greener doing his thing on prospects or is it Greener bumbling his way through his final days, like playing Schmidt on the left side and playing Roussel and Beagle 5x5 when they are behind by 2 goals?

Reactions: Canuck86

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
The Canucks should be clearing out players over 26 and re tooling.

In saying that if you can get a similar aged player who needs a change of scenery you look at it.

Was hoping they might trade him for Zadorov in the off season
Don’t think the hawks will move him

Reactions: sting101

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
How about we just fire Green and keep Jake?

It's clear since day 1 Green has a problem with Jake. He treats the kid different than every other player on the team. I'd rather us get rid of that goof and hire a capable coach who will put Jake into a position to succeed.

The kid is scared of making a mistake. Every time he does he's benched or scratched, meanwhile other guys can **** up night in night out and never get punished for it.
Christ this is a bad take.
Green has given Virtanen every opportunity and Jake has squandered all of it. Just like he is squandering his physical gifts. What a waste.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Virtanen is more of an agitator than a power forward.
But is he really either of those things? I mean, really, what is Jake Virtanen?

He's one of the least impactful players on the Canucks, even though his shot is good enough to net him around 15+ goals. But, outside of that production, he doesn't really hit, rarely fights, doesn't seem to stir up much ire from the other team and largely seems to skate around lost. He's a very low event player (outside of the defensive zone), which is the exact opposite style of play a guy with his tools needs to play to succeed.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Tough ask for those two from the Pens. We would have Riikola. Riikola for Virtanen would be of decent value. That said, Riikola is hurt so probably not.
If that is the type of offer the Nucks receive, I hope they keep JV. Canucks have Riikola type dmen so adding another is pointless. I would only move JV if the Canucks see some improvement whether that be through draft capital or another player in a different position that still carries upside. Adding another passable 3rd pairing defenseman that's 3 years older seems like poor asset management.

Last edited:

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Yes explain this: Why is Juolevi, who is "Far better than Chatfield who he was getting scratched for."

Greener doing his thing on prospects or is it Greener bumbling his way through his final days, like playing Schmidt on the left side and playing Roussel and Beagle 5x5 when they are behind by 2 goals?
Because Green and Baum are terrible coaches? Schmidt should be to the right of Hughes, not Benn. OJ has been solid in his NHL games, easy Edler replacement in a season or two. With Benning talking up Chatfield so much, Green was probably pressured to play him as well.

Reactions: Izzy Goodenough

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009

I see 2 major issues with this logic

1 - Another year into covid economics and players like Eriksson and Beagle are going to be even harder to move
2 - Benning has not shown the ability to plan ahead and make moves that will benefit the team in the future. All Benning's moves are reactionary hence "running out of time" with Tofolli and Tanev. Benning has not done anything to indicate he has the knowledge or foresight to make innovative moves.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
So ownership is letting Benning and Weisbrod wheel and deal?

If this happens, it will become the stuff of hockey myth and lore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad