Rumor: (Dhaliwal) - Teams showing Interest in Adam Gaudette + Virtanen Update

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
You must go to bed before Canuck games.

I like Gaudette's motor though. Why are they trading him? I can see JV. So inconsistent and meh
Canucks need more help at D and Gaudette is a chip to accomplish that.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
I did a little light reading and he seems to be smart defensively as a centre, getting PK time in the AHL. The worry would be his back injuries, but that could be behind him with all the rest he got, kind of like Boeser. He could become an ideal 3c for us, FA will also like that he is a Vancouver kid. If it dropped Erikssons cap I would do it on a personal level.

Injured young prospect: Check.
From Van or there abouts: Check
Underwhelming start to pro career: Check
Upside is a bottom 6 checking forward: Check
Tall: Check

Inflated long term salary: X

Not sure, without an inflated long term salary he does not fit the Nucks profile.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Injured young prospect: Check.
From Van or there abouts: Check
Underwhelming start to pro career: Check
Upside is a bottom 6 checking forward: Check
Tall: Check

Inflated long term salary: X

Not sure, without an inflated long term salary he does not fit the Nucks profile.
That can be corrected soon enough.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Sportsnet 650
@Sportsnet650
·
2m
Chris Johnston - I think Vancouver is potentially trying to free up cap-space with a Jake Virtanen deal.

not really news, but an update is an update.

that's not an update at all. The fact that he doesn't want contract coming back in the 1st place says he's trying to free up cap room.

Silly Benning. He's lucky Francesco has other stuff to worry about right now, or else he's fired.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Virtanen for Bjork
That’s a brutal trade for Vancouver. For the 900k cap savings you keep the much better player. I’m not a JV fan but at least he has tools. Bjork is playing to his full potential and he’s still producing less than an under performing Virtanen

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
If I was other teams I’d be looking at Gaudette too. He’s primed for a breakout and has played very well despite his lackluster production. Would be a value pickup for any team.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Devils could use either . Butcher plus ? for Gaudette

We really don't have a use for a 2.8 million a year additional price tag for another offensive defenseman.

Pieces in New Jersey that would absolutely interest me are Bastian, Zacha, Murray, McLeod, Wood, maybe Severson if his defensive game is coming around, and maybe Sharangovich. Full disclosure, I don't know who, if any, are available, nor do I know how Devils fans would value most or all of them.

Of course Palmieri and Hughes and Hischier, but there are other, much better players that would be named over Gaudette and Virtanen.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If the Penguins can build on what they have done over the next couple of games, the hole they have is the 4th line, or rather a 3B line.

Gaudette and Virtanen would be fantastic additions. When it says create cap space, is that "send one with Eriksson for a 7th" or is that "take back minimal salary and contract"?

Penguins could offer McCann as a base. I believe he has more value than Virtanen but not enough to get both, so what's the value of Gaudette? Like would McCann+2nd+prospect for them work? Judging value, be nice.

Reactions: elitepete

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
If the Penguins can build on what they have done over the next couple of games, the hole they have is the 4th line, or rather a 3B line.

Gaudette and Virtanen would be fantastic additions. When it says create cap space, is that "send one with Eriksson for a 7th" or is that "take back minimal salary and contract"?

Penguins could offer McCann as a base. I believe he has more value than Virtanen but not enough to get both, so what's the value of Gaudette? Like would McCann+2nd+prospect for them work? Judging value, be nice.
If the Canucks could get Mccann and a 2nd for both these guys it would be done.

That seems high.

I know Mccann is hurt but is the idea that he’s too small too fit Burkies style?

Is he mostly a LW now?

I’d make that deal easily.

Ultimately I think the Canucks are looking for picks or ELC’s.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016

The Canucks bailed on McCann early, partly due to his attitude. Fair or not, I can't see them bringing him back.

Virtanen could be had for picks/prospects. I don't think Benning wants salary coming back. I'm sure he is looking for a 2nd, but would settle on a 3rd+Fringe D prospect. I still like his potential, but just don't see him ever hitting it here, especially if Green is our coach going forward. I don't really see a way that the Canucks win a deal for Virtanen as his potential will outweigh the return.

Gaudette may be the most frustrating player in our lineup. Great energy, creates space and opportunities and then snipes the goalies crest every time. Literally no finish whatsoever. With that said, he is on a real cheap deal and still has some upside. His season last year was really good. I think the cost to get him will be reasonably high, as moving him doesn't really save us anything.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
The Canucks bailed on McCann early, partly due to his attitude. Fair or not, I can't see them bringing him back.

Virtanen could be had for picks/prospects. I don't think Benning wants salary coming back. I'm sure he is looking for a 2nd, but would settle on a 3rd+Fringe D prospect. I still like his potential, but just don't see him ever hitting it here, especially if Green is our coach going forward. I don't really see a way that the Canucks win a deal for Virtanen as his potential will outweigh the return.

Gaudette may be the most frustrating player in our lineup. Great energy, creates space and opportunities and then snipes the goalies crest every time. Literally no finish whatsoever. With that said, he is on a real cheap deal and still has some upside. His season last year was really good. I think the cost to get him will be reasonably high, as moving him doesn't really save us anything.

If a deal is to be made with the Pens, Canucks will have no choice but to take some salary back

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I wouldn't trade Gaudette at all, he has been creating scoring opportunities almost every game and his skating has improved significantly. Virtanen also looks like a great fit on the 4th line, if he tops out as a good bottom sixer then so be it.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
If a deal is to be made with the Pens, Canucks will have no choice but to take some salary back
That's the case with lots of teams, which is probably holding things up. I don't think Salary this season is a huge issue, but adding for next year is what they are staying away from. Once Motte is back, I think JV will be shipped out.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
I wouldn't trade Gaudette at all, he has been creating scoring opportunities almost every game and his skating has improved significantly. Virtanen also looks like a great fit on the 4th line, if he tops out as a good bottom sixer then so be it.

I think we’d be nuts to move gaudette as well unless it’s a great offer, and I doubt he is actually being shopped.

Like many tho, I’m done w Virtanen, the last few games don’t make up for everything else. Would trade him for a player who has been similarly disappointing in need of a fresh start.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020

Agreed, if anything the team needs to figure out who to play next to him (esp. if he's not 3rd C material, then we find someone with playmaking and F/O ability). Then again, if Pearson decides to stay and they want to slowly bring up Podkolzin, then they can do

Lotto
Pearson - Bo - Hoglander
Gaudette - [3rd line playmaking & defensive C] - Podkolzin

Since I definitely think with the right fit he can flourish even on a two-way line (they did desire for him to bring those traits this season). Hopefully they can rejig the bottom-6 (e.g. sell off Jake and Loui), then sign or trade for that 3rd C during the ED and the top-9 would look pretty good going into next season.

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
look who Gaudette has to play with for the love of God.. Sutter and Roussel..and we want more out of him..let's start by dumping the 2 garbage cans and getting him some players to play with..I'd play Gaudette with McEwen, and Jake...
then throw the other 2 to play with Beagle..

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Obviously Gaudette not having a great season but I will say that I watch every game and he generates a lot of chances. Just hasn’t got any bounces. Could easy have 6-7 goals.

he plays with absolute trash wingers in Roussel and Sutter.

He’s on a second unit power play that maybe gets 30 seconds a pp.

If this guy was playing with Hogs or Lind I think he could be doing quite well. Not ready to write him off.

Reactions: Canuck86

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad