Rumor: Dhaliwal- Multiple sources informing Dhaliwal that Vancouver and Ottawa are still actively talking trade

lawrence

May 19, 2012
To Vancouver : the entire Ottawa senators roster.
To Ottawa : the entire Vancouver Canucks roster.

Seventy7

May 16, 2015
Myers is still a strong 3rd pair RHD that can play up the lineup for stretches if required. Problem in Van is they force him to do it full time and he is overpaid… but not like crazy overpaid when you consider that GMs still hand out 4+ million for RHD like Gudbranson/Ristolainen/Zaitsev (which Myers is far better than)

There is a supply and demand issue on RHD league wide, and every one of them will likely be overpaid when contract time comes IF they can eat NHL minutes. Myers can do this. The major issue in Van is that you are paying OEL Myers and Huggy a combined 21 million for a combined 3 goals on the season at the quarter point, and are paying too many wingers that don’t have enough intangibles to their game.

There will be interest in Myers, and while Van will have to take a contract back because the league is capped out, they won’t have to give up additional assets to move him, nor should they. His value will boost as a rental next season and since most of his annual $$ will already be paid out, Van could retain cap on the contract and extract even more.

Additionally, it looks to be a winger that’ll be on the move in Garland or Boeser, and that unfortunately is not a supply demand problem for the league, which may result in minimal return on the asset alla Paccioretty/Bjorkstrand…

In short expect Van to be patient for an actual return on Myers, while some team could add a ppg Brock Boeser for Pennie’s on the dollar.

Only contract I see Van give up assets to move is Pearson fwiw. OEL is pretty much unmovable.

My prediction is they keep Horvat unless someone overpays, they keep Kuzmenko, and they lose Garland/Boeser for next to nothing…. Making that OEL trade look oh so bad. Thank you Benning for setting the franchise back another 5 years.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Given the $5m bonus Myers is due, I'd say OTT wouldn't be adding... even if Myers is the (marginally) better asset.

Zaitsev is due a 2M bonus aswell though, and he's not even an NHL player at this point.

I think Ottawa would have to add to make it worth our while to take on Zaitsev, since we could just trade Myers next year when he's only due 1M.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Horvat does make sense as a target for the sens. He's UFA, and the Norris injury completely screwed the sens having two good top 6 lines. They've been trying to stuff one of Pinto or Brassard in the hole ever since and neither has fit.

I'd say Myers is the real target though. The sens are that weak on the right that Myers would be an improvement, albeit a small one. The Zub talk in this thread is insane. Major fan favourite and absolutely a need for them to keep. They're looking for a second Zub so losing the one they have makes zero sense.

Be interested to see if this amounts to anything.

When Garrioch first reported Myers to TOR rumours I was surprised Ottawa wasn't in on that given they are searching for help, turns out they were.

I think something around Zaitsev & Myers could make sense if Ottawa is sweetening it. That seems the logical way of figuring out the cap, or else we could retain & trade him straight up I guess aswell.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
I don't think Myers straight up for Zaitsev makes much sense. Myers as a capable bottom pair defenseman is worth more than the 1.5 cap saved. Thus there would have to be a sweetener.

Edit: I guess a Zaitsev buyout in the offseason is slightly more attractive then a Myers buyout, but I actually think we could trade Myers in the offseason without retaining (but not for much or any return). An expiring contract can be attractive for teams.

Last edited:

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
I don't think Myers straight up for Zaitsev makes much sense. Myers as a capable bottom pair defenseman is worth more than the 1.5 cap saved. Thus there would have to be a sweetener.

Edit: I guess a Zaitsev buyout in the offseason is slightly more attractive then a Myers buyout, but I actually think we could trade Myers in the offseason without retaining (but not for much or any return). An expiring contract can be attractive for teams.
Rutherford loves dmen like Stillman, Ceci, Matheson, Gudbranson etc. Zaitsev is probably an attractive piece to Canucks management and they get to save 1.5 million.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast

It’s probably the buyout scenario that makes it attractive tbh. Buying out Zaitsev is $2.8m cap hit next year. Myers would be $5.3m.

If you are happy to give him away for almost nothing after paying his bonus, Ottawa will happily wait until then. They’ll give the sweetener to someone else for taking on Zaitsev, and take Myers for future considerations when he only has $1m owing 😀

Comes down to how badly you want that sweetener, and whether your owner wants to give Myers $5m and ship him out if town the next day.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
It’s probably the buyout scenario that makes it attractive tbh. Buying out Zaitsev is $2.8m cap hit next year. Myers would be $5.3m.

If you are happy to give him away for almost nothing after paying his bonus, Ottawa will happily wait until then. They’ll give the sweetener to someone else for taking on Zaitsev, and take Myers for future considerations when he only has $1m owing 😀

Comes down to how badly you want that sweetener, and whether your owner wants to give Myers $5m and ship him out if town the next day.
They'd be paying a sweetener to offload Zaitsev (1st rounder or a couple 2nds) and then paying to acquire Myers on top of that.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
When Garrioch first reported Myers to TOR rumours I was surprised Ottawa wasn't in on that given they are searching for help, turns out they were.

I think something around Zaitsev & Myers could make sense if Ottawa is sweetening it. That seems the logical way of figuring out the cap, or else we could retain & trade him straight up I guess aswell.

That better be a nice sweetener, Myers while overpaid is still useful, Zaitsev is purely waiver fodder at this point. I think it would be a horrible idea to trade for him.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
That better be a nice sweetener, Myers while overpaid is still useful, Zaitsev is purely waiver fodder at this point. I think it would be a horrible idea to trade for him.

lmao prepare to be disappointed. Friedman said that the only reason that the deal fell through is that both teams couldn’t agree on what the sweetener should be and it looked like it was coming from Vancouver’s side since Myers has a $5M signing bonus due.

They'd be paying a sweetener to offload Zaitsev (1st rounder or a couple 2nds) and then paying to acquire Myers on top of that.

lmaooo
🤣

you people are high or what?

• Haha
Reactions: Neiler

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
lmao prepare to be disappointed. Friedman said that the only reason that the deal fell through is that both teams couldn’t agree on what the sweetener should be and it looked like it was coming from Vancouver’s side since Myers has a $5M signing bonus due.

lmaooo
🤣

Myers is regarded as having about a 3rd rounder in value. Zaitsev is regarded as dead cap. Ottawa definitely adds to Zaitsev.

In your "wisdom" what do you think the cost to move Zaitsev is? or do you think he actually has value?

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

lmaooo
🤣

Great and because Friedman said it means it definitely happened right?

It looked like, hmm, that infers that he doesn't actually know.

Zaitsev isn't an NHL player now, Myers is still a capable NHL dman, again would be a stupid move by the Canucks.

Laugh all you want, you obviously have no clue if you think the two players are even close in value.

Myers is regarded as having about a 3rd rounder in value. Zaitsev is regarded as dead cap. Ottawa definitely adds to Zaitsev.

In your "wisdom" what do you think the cost to move Zaitsev is? or do you think he actually has value?
Who regarded him as having that value exactly?

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Great and because Friedman said it means it definitely happened right?

It looked like, hmm, that infers that he doesn't actually know.

Zaitsev isn't an NHL player now, Myers is still a capable NHL dman, again would be a stupid move by the Canucks.

Laugh all you want, you obviously have no clue if you think the two players are even close in value.

Who regarded him as having that value exactly?
Any article I've read listing him as a trade target has suggested we could get a 3rd rounder. He would also have more value in the off season after we pay his 5m bonus on July 1st.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa

I think that makes sense as an off season deal.

Reactions: BurgoShark

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Myers doesn’t have a 3rd in value :laugh:
Guy legit play top 4 minutes and is a positive 5v5 player, big RHD who plays physical and has decent 5v5 #'s. I've said before he should be making 5m, not 6m. But to think that he has no value is just plain ignorance. He is not our issue on the PK either, his biggest issues are when he is out for extended periods. Most D men have issues when that happens.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Guy legit play top 4 minutes and is a positive 5v5 player, big RHD who plays physical and has decent 5v5 #'s. I've said before he should be making 5m, not 6m. But to think that he has no value is just plain ignorance. He is not our issue on the PK either, his biggest issues are when he is out for extended periods. Most D men have issues when that happens.
If you could get a 3rd for him, he wouldn’t be being discussed in a trade for Zaitsev, an AHL healthy scratch.

You’d trade him for a 3rd. But that’s not going to happen, because no team is trading anything of value for him until he’s paid his bonus, if then.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Any article I've read listing him as a trade target has suggested we could get a 3rd rounder. He would also have more value in the off season after we pay his 5m bonus on July 1st.
There is no deal today which both minimizes cap space and maximises the return. You can't do both of these things in a Myers trade, You need to pick one.

Either...

- retain or take on bad contracts (or both) to maximise the return, or
- accept a poor return to free up cap space (and save money)

Therefore you have two scenarios in a Zaitsev/Myers deal...

- Acquire Zaitsev with quality assets and retain 30-50% on Myers to balance out money and cap, or
- Acquire Zaitsev with no quality assets, gain $3.2m in cap space for 2023-24, and save ~$5m

Otherwise, it's dead in the water for now. Just wait until 1 July or the 2024 trade deadline.

Last edited:

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
If you could get a 3rd for him, he wouldn’t be being discussed in a trade for Zaitsev, an AHL healthy scratch.

You’d trade him for a 3rd. But that’s not going to happen, because no team is trading anything of value for him until he’s paid his bonus, if then.
Some teams may need us to take cap back. Hense Zaitsev.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Speculation is the key word, nobody actually confirmed it was Zaitsev the Canucks were targeting last week. It just so happened that Zaitsev's name was brought up because he was just placed on waivers.

For all we know the framework is Myers for Zub with assets added from whichever side.

Zub would be a fantastic target for the Canucks.

Zaitsev for Myers just seems like a lateral move based on financial savings.
Lol no we absolutely know that there is no framework around Zub and Myers. Or maybe there is framework around Brassard for Horvat as well.

Boeser+Myers for Zub+ work?
Nope not on any level for Ottawa. In any scenario. They need another Zub. Boeser is exactly what they don't need they have plenty of scoring wingers.

Reactions: NB613

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad