Rumor: Dhaliwal- Multiple sources informing Dhaliwal that Vancouver and Ottawa are still actively talking trade

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Aren't the Sens interested in Myers still?

Funny to me that Zaitsev refused to waive to play for the Canucks, weird.

Why is that surprising? It’s not like Vancouver is the best place to play or live. I’m not one bit surprised to hear players not interested here. He’s probably sick of playing in Canada where your under a microscope.
Zaitsev refused to waive for Vancouver.
not one bit surprised.

• Haha
Reactions: bcbill and ManByng

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Why is that surprising? It’s not like Vancouver is the best place to play or live. I’m not one bit surprised to hear players not interested here. He’s probably sick of playing in Canada where your under a microscope.

not one bit surprised.
To not be used in Ottawa and being moved to a team that will give him a chance even if he's sick of playing in Canada where he currently plays, you'd figure that anyone wanting him even in a cap dump or whatever, he'd welcome it. Ah well, he's probably just content owning a house near Toronto/Ottawa and not wanting to relocate as it's not his problem they paid him what they did and the Sens traded for him.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

lawrence

May 19, 2012
To not be used in Ottawa and being moved to a team that will give him a chance even if he's sick of playing in Canada where he currently plays, you'd figure that anyone wanting him even in a cap dump or whatever, he'd welcome it. Ah well, he's probably just content owning a house near Toronto/Ottawa and not wanting to relocate as it's not his problem they paid him what they did and the Sens traded for him.

Well either way he’s not interested in Vancouver that’s all we have to go by. Maybe Vancouver just sucks ? Who knows.

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
Well either way he’s not interested in Vancouver that’s all we have to go by. Maybe Vancouver just sucks ? Who knows.
We all remember the amount of love the city has for the last Nikita to play defense for us....

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That has nothing to do with Zub though. This thread has been a really 'interesting' view on the Vancouver Canucks fanbase.
Is there some weird rumor about Zub not wanting to re-sign with the Senators? Because Zub would be a fantastic add for any team. Also I'm not sure if that bloke that was telling me Vancouver is a bad place to live, was a Canucks fan. I'm not one, but I do live in Vancouver although I am not originally from here.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Is there some weird rumor about Zub not wanting to re-sign with the Senators? Because Zub would be a fantastic add for any team. Also I'm not sure if that bloke that was telling me Vancouver is a bad place to live, was a Canucks fan. I'm not one, but I do live in Vancouver although I am not originally from here.
Yeah there's literally no proof of that rumor it's completely made up. Maybe he wants to test free agency? I'm not sure. But he's never expressed that he doesn't like Ottawa. I personally don't think that with the pending sale of the team any big decisions like taking on extra money, hiring a new coach etc are currently even on the table for this management group. Whoever buys probably doesn't want any extra dollars committed until they have their own people in place.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah there's literally no proof of that rumor it's completely made up. Maybe he wants to test free agency? I'm not sure. But he's never expressed that he doesn't like Ottawa. I personally don't think that with the pending sale of the team any big decisions like taking on extra money, hiring a new coach etc are currently even on the table for this management group. Whoever buys probably doesn't want any extra dollars committed until they have their own people in place.
I doubt any new ownership wouldn't want to keep a very good player either, I think Zaitsev not waiving probably would piss off current ownership and potential new ownership more than anything, lol. But in the case of Zub? I believe the Sens were probably privately up for sale before they made their summer signings. They also have close to 23m in cap space for next season, 3 defensemen being UFA and need to sign DeBrincat.

Fake rumors aside, Zub to the Canucks value wise would be something the Senators would heavily leverage. A very smart defenseman in his own end that's also a RD, thats something JR and his puppet Allvin, botched during the summer.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

[B]burgess1978[/B] and I agreed on a 7th for Myers in the offseason. That's much better than Zaitsev.

Is there any proof Zaitsev didn't waive?

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Zaitsev refused to waive for Vancouver.
I am pretty sure the agent for both players Myers and Zaitsev said they were never approached about asking to waive their NTC's.

I would think any NHL player who was waived and is riding a bus in the AHL would waive to go to any team with the chance to stop riding a bus and play in the NHL

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I doubt any new ownership wouldn't want to keep a very good player either, I think Zaitsev not waiving probably would piss off current ownership and potential new ownership more than anything, lol. But in the case of Zub? I believe the Sens were probably privately up for sale before they made their summer signings. They also have close to 23m in cap space for next season, 3 defensemen being UFA and need to sign DeBrincat.

Fake rumors aside, Zub to the Canucks value wise would be something the Senators would heavily leverage. A very smart defenseman in his own end that's also a RD, thats something JR and his puppet Allvin, botched during the summer.
There is absolutely no scenario Ottawa should entertain trading Zub. They need a second Zub losing him would be devastating. First of all they're probably a better team than Vancouver in the only game they played them they actually dominated. They are in a way harder division and conference. If Vancouver had their injuries and schedule up to this point they'd likely have a worse record. Ottawa has had better metrics dispite this. Like imagine where Vancouver would be if Horvat had played 5 games, Hughes had missed significant time and OEL had been hurt too. That's basically what Ottawa has dealt with. So why would Zub want to go to an equal or worse team? Yes the ask would be huge but I don't understand the motive either. The concept that any deal would be around Zub for that anchor of a contract in Myers is absurd. Either Canucks fans are hilariously unfamiliar with the player or they are living in a fantasy world.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Aren't the Sens interested in Myers still?

Funny to me that Zaitsev refused to waive to play for the Canucks, weird.
I don't think the article from Friedman (I think it was Friedman that broke this story) said that "Zaitsev" did not waive. I think (?) he speculated "someone" might not have waived, or that the negotiations just broke down and never got that far. IIRC. Maybe someone who is more energetic can look that up.

I think we know that whatever happened, the negotiations broke down. My personal gut feeling is that the Senators were not prepared to offer much more (or anything more) than Zaitsev because Myers contract was greater $s than Zaitsev's.

Last edited:

Rydgar

Jul 15, 2010
Surrey, BC
There is absolutely no scenario Ottawa should entertain trading Zub. They need a second Zub losing him would be devastating. First of all they're probably a better team than Vancouver in the only game they played them they actually dominated. They are in a way harder division and conference. If Vancouver had their injuries and schedule up to this point they'd likely have a worse record. Ottawa has had better metrics dispite this. Like imagine where Vancouver would be if Horvat had played 5 games, Hughes had missed significant time and OEL had been hurt too. That's basically what Ottawa has dealt with. So why would Zub want to go to an equal or worse team? Yes the ask would be huge but I don't understand the motive either. The concept that any deal would be around Zub for that anchor of a contract in Myers is absurd. Either Canucks fans are hilariously unfamiliar with the player or they are living in a fantasy world.

We've got a lot of Russians?

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

If you read the article, Friedman has clearly stated he is "speculating" on what might have happened. There's headlines and then there's details (= more important).

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Is Artem Zub's agent in negotiations for an extension, or do they want to test free agency? Haven't heard anything, but I'm not in Ottawa.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
i feel a little bit sorry for Zaitsev. He waived his NTC to come to Ottawa as a favour to DJ Smith - knowing that he was subjecting himself to multiple years of playing in a bad team.

He is objectively bad now, and has always been overpaid. He did have some solid performances over the years. Just not many in the last 14 months.

Ottawa fans would also go out if their way to blame him for goals against. E.g. another player would have a bonehead giveaway causing a 2 on 1, Zaitsev can’t stop it, fans jump on Zaitsev for not playing the 2 on 1 properly.

Just a little bit sorry though. He got $22m for his trouble - so he’s doing fine.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
This is from that article:

Only, Zaitsev also has a modified no-trade clause with a ten-team no-trade list. If Vancouver was on that list, perhaps he was approached first and said no.

Does that seem likely? Honestly, probably not. Remember, this is a player that cleared waivers and is now in the AHL. Why wouldn’t he jump at the chance to get an opportunity for a fresh start with a new organization, particularly one that already has a few Russian players on the roster?

It seems more likely, then, that the deal just never came together.’

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This is from that article:

Only, Zaitsev also has a modified no-trade clause with a ten-team no-trade list. If Vancouver was on that list, perhaps he was approached first and said no.

Does that seem likely? Honestly, probably not. Remember, this is a player that cleared waivers and is now in the AHL. Why wouldn’t he jump at the chance to get an opportunity for a fresh start with a new organization, particularly one that already has a few Russian players on the roster?

It seems more likely, then, that the deal just never came together.’
We’ve all moved on. Move on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad