Rumor: Dhaliwal- Multiple sources informing Dhaliwal that Vancouver and Ottawa are still actively talking trade

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
So would Ottawa fans actually be interested in BoHo and Myers, and what would they be willing to offer? Taking out this idiotic Zub angle out of the equation, obviously.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
So would Ottawa fans actually be interested in BoHo and Myers, and what would they be willing to offer? Taking out this idiotic Zub angle out of the equation, obviously.

I don't see any interest in Horvat. Obviously a great player but don't see where he fits long term. Stutzle, Norris and Pinto are the centers moving forward.

I can see them having interest in Myers. Ottawa needs a RD, fans won't like it and I'm not sure he is a solution but he fills an obvious need. That said Nikita Zaitsev would have to go the other way to make it work.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
You're gonna get mixed opinions on this, but probably mostly like the one above this post that we're set at centre and he doesn't fit.

I'd go the other way and put DeBrincat on the table provided we could negotiate Horvat long term. Having Horvat in the top 6 would afford us the luxury of moving Stützle to LW when the top 6 is healthy. When there's a centre injured, Stützle could move back to centre. I'd rather have an extra top 6 centre than a pure winger.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
I feel as though Zub makes a lot of sense for Vancouver.

I also feel as though if Zub isn't signing in Vancouver, he'll net Ottawa a lot more value to a contending team than Vancouver can pay for. Vancouver's biggest asset is currently Horvat followed by Demko and then their 2023 1st round pick.

Demko may have interest to Ottawa, Horvat probably doesn't move the needle much. There is the possibility of taking a number of pieces from each teams roster and swapping them to the betterment of both teams but trades like that don't occur anymore.

I just don't see the Zub to Van idea being feasible for Ottawa at all in terms of value. Zaitsev for Myers sadly makes sense because Ottawa can attempt tog et a productive year out of Myers and Van can shed a whole 1.5 million in cap space but again; kind of a meh trade that really doesn't benefit Ottawa at all honestly.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Given the $5m bonus Myers is due, I'd say OTT wouldn't be adding... even if Myers is the (marginally) better asset.

Benning special
Allowed his agent to dictate the terms of contract after he already overpaid through the wazoo.

that bonus being allowed in the 5th year is a joke.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
We can add in Lekkerimaki to even it out. Maybe Ottawa also doesn't throw in their B level prospect.

This sounds like a personal attack to me and I'm not sure if this board tolerates this. You might want to dial it back a bit there bud.

He posted literal facts, which is not libellous, nor even an attack, or, not even directed at you. Have you even posted in this thread before? Weird.

BB6

Feb 14, 2012
Canada
He posted literal facts, which is not libellous, nor even an attack, or, not even directed at you. Have you even posted in this thread before? Weird.
It doesn't need to be directed at him, nor does he need to post in this thread to read a post as an attack at someone else. "This reads like a personal attack to me" does not have to mean "at me"

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Benning special
Allowed his agent to dictate the terms of contract after he already overpaid through the wazoo.

that bonus being allowed in the 5th year is a joke.
I think its the agent putting that in the deal to help reduce a buyout? Takes an idiot of a GM to sign off on it tho for a player like Myers...

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I think its the agent putting that in the deal to help reduce a buyout? Takes an idiot of a GM to sign off on it tho for a player like Myers...

The buyout like you mentioned
It also essentially moves his 3 year NMC to 4 years becuase the bonus is so large he becomes unmovable

Benning’s structures were so stupid.

Reactions: Canuck86
Feb 19, 2018
Here’s my take, similar to the Hamonic trade last year the Sens look to acquire short term contracts as it isn’t easy luring free agents to Ottawa. Myers makes a ton of sense as he only has one year left, he’s slated to make $6 million signing bonus or not. Zaitzev makes $4.5 and is probably considered a worse asset as Ottawa would probably have to add to make things even out.

Zub is a pending UFA and is a piece Vancouver would covet to play with Hughes. Here is a deal I see playing out.

Van: Zub + Zaitzev
Ott: Myers + Hoglander + Rathbone

I can see Dermott inserted instead of Rathbone but I consider Rathbone a better and cheaper asset. The cost of dumping Zaitzev is more expensive than fans would like to admit and getting a Dman that will probably play top 4 in a deal is a huge upgrade for someone playing in the AHL. Basically they are getting Myers for 1.5 on a 1 year contract to replace Zub, if he plays well I’m sure he resigns. (Math was added onto the $4.5 Zaitzev contract, not Zub)

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Here’s my take, similar to the Hamonic trade last year the Sens look to acquire short term contracts as it isn’t easy luring free agents to Ottawa. Myers makes a ton of sense as he only has one year left, he’s slated to make $6 million signing bonus or not. Zaitzev makes $4.5 and is probably considered a worse asset as Ottawa would probably have to add to make things even out.

Zub is a pending UFA and is a piece Vancouver would covet to play with Hughes. Here is a deal I see playing out.

Van: Zub + Zaitzev
Ott: Myers + Hoglander + Rathbone

I can see Dermott inserted instead of Rathbone but I consider Rathbone a better and cheaper asset. The cost of dumping Zaitzev is more expensive than fans would like to admit and getting a Dman that will probably play top 4 in a deal is a huge upgrade for someone playing in the AHL. Basically they are getting Myers for 1.5 on a 1 year contract to replace Zub, if he plays well I’m sure he resigns. (Math was added onto the $4.5 Zaitzev contract, not Zub)
This makes sense if you're a Vancouver fan. No sense from the Ottawa side though - Rathbone and Hoglander are not needs at all and the subtraction of Zub is just a no.

Ottawa's biggest issue is that their defence looks like this:

Incredible - Good
Incredible - Below average
Average - Below average

Incredible: Chabot, Sanderson
Good: Zub
Average: Holden, Hamonic, JBD (provided they're only on the bottom pair)
Below average: Brannstrom, Thomson, Zaitsev, Larsson, Heatherington (as well as the previously mentioned Holden, Hamonic, JBD if they are forced to play up in the lineup)

Any deal needs to bring in another average guy at a minimum on the right side while keeping the good one. It's why Zub in any deal makes zero sense because the second he's gone that right side becomes below average at best all the way down. We fully expect a Zub contract to be announced at some point to the tune of 5-6M x 6-8 years.

Ideally a deal with anyone results in the subtraction of a below average guy and the addition of an average guy (or better). The result of this might allow one of our below average guys to be an average guy on the bottom pair. Dorion would be hoping Myers could be average in Ottawa on the middle pairing and that one of our existing guys could stabilize playing the same role every night on the bottom pair. Then we'd have:

Incredible - Good
Incredible - Average
Average - Average

It's still not ideal but they gotta do something.

Reactions: Viqsi

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Zub is a UFA at seasons end, and with the Milstein connection, and with Mikheyev, Kuzmenko and even Podkolzin, Zub may actually like Vancouver at a UFA destination, so I’m not sure you want to give up much to acquire him.

He would either be:

1/ a rental, and it would seem incredibly short sighted for a team that is a real long shot for a playoff spot to be trading for rentals.

2/ a guy we might be able to attract at the end of the season as a UFA

If I’m the Sen’s I’d be looking to move him elsewhere, because the Canucks shouldn’t be giving up any real assets for him. It just doesn’t make much sense for a team that has so few legit assets.

Would the Sen’s do it for just Myers? That would seem kind of stupid, but crazier things have happened, and RHD’s are hard to find.

My guess is the Canucks are saying Zaitsev and Zub for Myers, while the Sen’s are trying to get a significant add (maybe a guy like Hoglander, but we prefer to add in Rathbone).

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Ottawa is trading Zub to acquire Gravrikov? You are going to have a hard time justifying why that makes sense.
He just said picks and prospects to balance out. If the feeling from Dorion is Zub won't sign here, he wants to play with KHL team mates, this makes a tonne of sense.

I actually could see us targetting a RW; it let's us move Giroux to C this season, and that RW can be his replacement in the future when he gets older.

Gavorik or however you spell it makes sense cause he's LHD physical, but can play RHD like a lot of KHL defensemen. If Zub is indeed set on leaving, there is a strong deal to be made here for both teams.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Would love Zub. He would be an excellent D partner for Hughes

Of course you would. And for all the reasons you want him are why he isn't available.

I'd rather the Senators fight tooth and nail to sign and fail than trade him for anything less than an equally capable defenseman.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Unless it's a trade for our past future captain in Curtis Lazar, nothing will help this team get over the hump. Only Lazar.

dez

Mar 3, 2012
Given the $5m bonus Myers is due, I'd say OTT wouldn't be adding... even if Myers is the (marginally) better asset.
Marginally? That $5m bonus in the summer would go to a guy who plays 18-20 minutes a night, Zaitzev is 4.5 million of dead cap. If there was anyone adding it would be Ottawa. IMO.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Marginally? That $5m bonus in the summer would go to a guy who plays 18-20 minutes a night, Zaitzev is 4.5 million of dead cap. If there was anyone adding it would be Ottawa. IMO.
Time on ice stats for D on bad teams is fairly meaningless. Ristolainen was regularly well over 20 minutes a night.

Didn't mean he was good.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
He just said picks and prospects to balance out. If the feeling from Dorion is Zub won't sign here, he wants to play with KHL team mates, this makes a tonne of sense.

I actually could see us targetting a RW; it let's us move Giroux to C this season, and that RW can be his replacement in the future when he gets older.

Fine, you can have Boeser too.

Myers + Boeser for Zub + Zeitsev

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad