Rumor: Dhaliwal- Multiple sources informing Dhaliwal that Vancouver and Ottawa are still actively talking trade

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
The main reason you see Ottawa in trade talks with players like Tyler Myers is because Ottawa is just not a desired team to sign with as a UFA. Giroux was a one off due to playing for his hometown but players just don’t want to go there if they choose to play in a Canadian market. Having only one year on the contract is attractive to the team as they won’t have to overpay like they would in free agency with extra term to outbid other teams.

Vancouver is fortunate as the city is a sell and players want to live here with their families more than the team being attractive. There is a reason why players only have Vancouver off their NTC lists in a Canadian market.

If I’m Vancouver I give up nothing for Zub as I bet there is a high chance he wants to come play with his buddies on a pair with one of the best young Dmen in the game. He’s the exact type of player they need and are looking for.
Myth. Many players that have ended up in Ottawa for various reasons (trade, etc.) decide to stay permanently, raise their family, etc. Its the opposite of the theory you're pitching. Decent chance you've never been there, but whatever. I'm sure Vancouver is the only team with Russian players. Good story.

Feb 19, 2018
Myth. Many players that have ended up in Ottawa for various reasons (trade, etc.) decide to stay permanently, raise their family, etc. Its the opposite of the theory you're pitching. Decent chance you've never been there, but whatever. I'm sure Vancouver is the only team with Russian players. Good story.
Who in the last 5 years or so has gone there that isn’t a fringe player and wants to stay there long term? Other than having RFA rights towards drafted players no stars in their prime has gone there via choice. I was born in Ontario and have nothing against Ottawa but I’m being real here, you guys traded a 3rd for Hamonic last year. Ottawa views finances more importantly right now due to the team not playing well and ownership locking up their young core already. Fact is, players like Myers are attractive to the team especially if we can include Zaitzev in the deal for cap purposes.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Who in the last 5 years or so has gone there that isn’t a fringe player and wants to stay there long term? Other than having RFA rights towards drafted players no stars in their prime has gone there via choice. I was born in Ontario and have nothing against Ottawa but I’m being real here, you guys traded a 3rd for Hamonic last year. Ottawa views finances more importantly right now due to the team not playing well and ownership locking up their young core already. Fact is, players like Myers are attractive to the team especially if we can include Zaitzev in the deal for cap purposes.
Giroux?

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Your overrating van, which has as bad a media without the sponsorship opps that exist in Toronto and Montreal

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
He mentioned Giroux in his earlier post.

The last five years when the team was really bad? Dadonov. That's probably it - and that was only a 3 year deal.

Prior to that when the team was good they had a few guy who either signed as UFA or re-signed when they were a pending UFA. Gonchar, McArthur, Kovalev, Hasek, Ryan, Redden, Methot to name a few.

It's harder for most Canadian teams to get free agents or to convince players to waive NTCs. Tax is a big reason. Methot said that the contract he signed in Ottawa had him about $1m better off after he got traded to Dallas. Ottawa are never going to be on the Florida, Dallas, LA, New York scale in terms of attracting and keeping free agents. They are definitely selecting from a smaller pool.

The problem is exacerbated right now though because the team has been bad. Ownership and arena dramas don't help either. If Ottawa can sell the team, get a deal in place for a new arena, and finish above .500 I'm sure it will make it look more attractive next July.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018
Your overrating van, which has as bad a media without the sponsorship opps that exist in Toronto and Montreal
They just had one of the best free agents not in the NHL sign there and the next generational prospect Bedard say his favourite team is the Canucks and he’d love to play there as his #1 choice if it was up to him (no direct quote but by his interviews it’s his favourite team). I’m also not comparing other situations, just speaking about Ottawa and the difficulty to attract players or to get them to lift their no trade to go there.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
In my first post it stated other than Giroux who wanted to play for his home town. He’s past his prime as well, still a decent player but that is about the only guy who voluntarily went there other than third or 4th line guys or bottom pairing Dmen.
Zub chose to go there. Sure, he wasn't a household name yet, but he still chose Ottawa over other suitors. I'll admit though that Ottawa has a hard to attracting big UFA's, but seems to do well signing young players long term. Hell, Brady Tkachuk chose to sign 8 years and Matt forced his way out of Calgary.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
They just had one of the best free agents not in the NHL sign there and the next generational prospect Bedard say his favourite team is the Canucks and he’d love to play there as his #1 choice if it was up to him (no direct quote but by his interviews it’s his favourite team). I’m also not comparing other situations, just speaking about Ottawa and the difficulty to attract players or to get them to lift their no trade to go there.
Bedard, whose from van and won’t say anything negative about any city or Kuzmenko whose looking at opportunity and not city at this point? Vancouvers nice don’t get me wrong I spend a lot of time there, but your like 16-20th on the list looking down on a 27-32

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
In my first post it stated other than Giroux who wanted to play for his home town. He’s past his prime as well, still a decent player but that is about the only guy who voluntarily went there other than third or 4th line guys or bottom pairing Dmen.

So if I'm understanding this, the parameters are:

1) It has a player who is old enough to be a free agent but young enough to be in their prime;
2) It has to be a top 6 forward or top 4 defenceman;
3) It has to be during a five year time period where the team was rebuilding and therefore not pursuing big free agents, and
4) Claude Giroux doesn't count.

No wonder it's hard to find an example.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Also re: Giroux not being in his prime. You could have fooled me.

Sure - he's older - but he is currently on pace for the 5th-highest points total of his 15-year career. He might be their best player.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Giroux has 21 points in 20 games played, has a corsi % of 60, fenwick of 58%, 58.5 xGF% which drops to 47.5% for the Senators when he's not on the ice. To say he's past his prime is ridiculous. Yes, this isn't peak Giroux but he's absolutely still in his prime.

Reactions: bert

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

1) It has a player who is old enough to be a free agent but young enough to be in their prime;
3) It has to be during a five year time period where the team was rebuilding and therefore not pursuing big free agents, and

He also moved the goalpost and changed the topic as well. It started as a reply back to my post where I mentioned that players that end up here by whatever means decide to stay and make Ottawa their homes. Karlsson and Alfredsson are examples. They cite it as a good place for their family, etc. There was an article recently with Craig Anderson (an American) saying it was great city in Canada to live in and play hockey. Don't think he's ever been in Ottawa but he responded to that question by saying he was born in "Ontario" = deflection.

Anyhow, I think he (& others) are just pissed off because people are telling them that the Chaos Giraffe isn't the red hot trade target they think he is unless a bad contract is sent back. That's not Zub of course.

Not worth pursuing any more.

Feb 19, 2018

Instead of a definitive answer you skated around the question and pretty much attacked me. Your response confirms what I thought.

Giroux has 21 points in 20 games played, has a corsi % of 60, fenwick of 58%, 58.5 xGF% which drops to 47.5% for the Senators when he's not on the ice. To say he's past his prime is ridiculous. Yes, this isn't peak Giroux but he's absolutely still in his prime.
Going into the season this was best case and it’s happened. The expectation was definitely lower from himself as well I imagine. I’m happy for you guys as being a fan of a Canadian market is tough.

Feb 19, 2018
He also moved the goalpost and changed the topic as well. It started as a reply back to my post where I mentioned that players that end up here by whatever means decide to stay and make Ottawa their homes. Karlsson and Alfredsson are examples. They cite it as a good place for their family, etc. There was an article recently with Craig Anderson (an American) saying it was great city in Canada to live in and play hockey. Don't think he's ever been in Ottawa but he responded to that question by saying he was born in "Ontario" = deflection.

Anyhow, I think he (& others) are just pissed off because people are telling them that the Chaos Giraffe isn't the red hot trade target they think he is unless a bad contract is sent back. That's not Zub of course.

Not worth pursuing any more.
I agree and it’s not, Ottawa is my second favourite team after Vancouver, I’m just going off reports sited by the experts with inside information. Stating my reasons instead of ripping into two overpaid Dmen who were rumoured to almost be traded for one another with a mysterious kicker from some team. It’s more about contract management while the prospects develop and can handle those minutes. I’m basically going off the Hamonic for a 3rd last year, that trade happened because he had a year left and not because he was worth a 3rd round pick.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
I agree and it’s not, Ottawa is my second favourite team after Vancouver, I’m just going off reports sited by the experts with inside information. Stating my reasons instead of ripping into two overpaid Dmen who were rumoured to almost be traded for one another with a mysterious kicker from some team. It’s more about contract management while the prospects develop and can handle those minutes. I’m basically going off the Hamonic for a 3rd last year, that trade happened because he had a year left and not because he was worth a 3rd round pick.
It’s not like you are flat out wrong. The reports are saying that. I just think it is a bit overblown. It wasn’t really an issue prior to 2017, so it’s not an “Ottawa the place” but an “Ottawa the team” problem. It’s fixable.

In the case of Myers - you’re 100% correct. Ottawa have been trying other options (e.g. Weegar) and have had some players refuse to waive.

Reactions: Buresflyingelbow

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I wondered if that might be the case. Many Senator fans were perplexed by that trade. What was perplexing is that the Senators gave up a 3rd. I think we offered more (a 3rd) than the ask (4th). IIRC. We didn't have a 4th, Dorion factor, or something.

I probably expected worse actually - like terrible. But he's been just bad to a bit below OK.

We have three good defenders if Zub stays. 2 if he doesn't.

Tyler Myers isn't going to help. If it involves moving Zaitsev, then there might be something there.

If not, we'll need to keep searching. Could be different people handling this. With a new owner, there could be a new GM.

Feb 19, 2018
It’s not like you are flat out wrong. The reports are saying that. I just think it is a bit overblown. It wasn’t really an issue prior to 2017, so it’s not an “Ottawa the place” but an “Ottawa the team” problem. It’s fixable.

In the case of Myers - you’re 100% correct. Ottawa have been trying other options (e.g. Weegar) and have had some players refuse to waive.
Yeah it’s not Ottawa the place, if it was about locations that would be more Buffalo, Detroit, Pittsburgh etc, it’s about the Canadian market. The way Ottawa is building their team is the correct way through the draft and development. Targeting players with shorter term even at higher dollars is how they should be rebuilding/tooling.

Vancouver has been begging for that while being a middle of the pack capped out team.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
He mentioned Giroux in his earlier post.

The last five years when the team was really bad? Dadonov. That's probably it - and that was only a 3 year deal.

Prior to that when the team was good they had a few guy who either signed as UFA or re-signed when they were a pending UFA. Gonchar, McArthur, Kovalev, Hasek, Ryan, Redden, Methot to name a few.

It's harder for most Canadian teams to get free agents or to convince players to waive NTCs. Tax is a big reason. Methot said that the contract he signed in Ottawa had him about $1m better off after he got traded to Dallas. Ottawa are never going to be on the Florida, Dallas, LA, New York scale in terms of attracting and keeping free agents. They are definitely selecting from a smaller pool.

The problem is exacerbated right now though because the team has been bad. Ownership and arena dramas don't help either. If Ottawa can sell the team, get a deal in place for a new arena, and finish above .500 I'm sure it will make it look more attractive next July.
LA doesn't attract too many big name free agents. The two biggest names in their primes are Demitra and Danault. Outside of that its second tier level players or guys near the end of their careers.

Reactions: BurgoShark
Feb 19, 2018
I wondered if that might be the case. Many Senator fans were perplexed by that trade. What was perplexing is that the Senators gave up a 3rd. I think we offered more (a 3rd) than the ask (4th). IIRC. We didn't have a 4th, Dorion factor, or something.

I probably expected worse actually - like terrible. But he's been just bad to a bit below OK.

We have three good defenders if Zub stays. 2 if he doesn't.

Tyler Myers isn't going to help. If it involves moving Zaitsev, then there might be something there.

If not, we'll need to keep searching. Could be different people handling this. With a new owner, there could be a new GM.
It’s just my opinion and I know they said they liked the player. The extra year cost controlled and then off the books is the true meaning behind the trade. If the player fits both will want to continue and resign something more permanent, if they don’t then it’s one year where you could probably unload them at the trade deadline for a return. Say Myers went there and he didn’t fit, I’m sure you could offload him for a second or so retained, if he fits you resign him.

Good gambles to take if you ask me.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Going into the season this was best case and it’s happened. The expectation was definitely lower from himself as well I imagine. I’m happy for you guys as being a fan of a Canadian market is tough.

I'm a Canucks fan, so I'm speaking objectively regarding Giroux and actually watch other teams that I hold an opinion on rather than speaking uninformed. I can assure you too that Giroux has looked every bit as good as the numbers would suggest.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Aren't the Sens interested in Myers still?

Funny to me that Zaitsev refused to waive to play for the Canucks, weird.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad