Devon Toews is underpaid

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Toews was great for us and it definitely hurt to see him go, but I'm curious to see how he does in the playoffs. The only negative I can remember about his game was his fear of taking a hit during the postseason. There were a handful of occasions where he either wouldn't go into the corner first or iced the puck instead of taking the extra stride(along with a hit) to get the red line. I specifically remember it costing us at least one goal after an icing. I never really noticed it as a problem during the regular season but once the physicality upped in the playoffs it became pretty apparent.

Either way I'm curious to see if he has fixed this part of his game once the postseason rolls around.

Fair criticism. He blew against the Flyers and Lightning. A LOT of mistakes under pressure. As an aside, it seems like Mayfield has done the same this season. He's carried that torch I guess, lol.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Toews was great for us and it definitely hurt to see him go, but I'm curious to see how he does in the playoffs. The only negative I can remember about his game was his fear of taking a hit during the postseason. There were a handful of occasions where he either wouldn't go into the corner first or iced the puck instead of taking the extra stride(along with a hit) to get the red line. I specifically remember it costing us at least one goal after an icing. I never really noticed it as a problem during the regular season but once the physicality upped in the playoffs it became pretty apparent.

Either way I'm curious to see if he has fixed this part of his game once the postseason rolls around.

In the games we played against Vegas recently, it had playoff intensity and reffing. Toews didn’t shy away from contact at all. I think that is part of playing system where he’s rarely put in positions to take a hit to make a play, but he’s always made it when he’s had to.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I doubted Sakic the GM until Duchene finally got moved.
Everyone did. It’s like Uwe Boll’s next movie turned out to be The Godfather.

Even before Girard established himself and that 1st rounder blew up in Ottawa’s face everyone was like “he got a lot for a gun to the head deal”.

Reactions: Raskolnikow

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I understand that they do not play similar roles so keeping Mayfield is a good choice from the Isle front office, but keeping Leddy over Toews is a bad decision IMHO. Not that it really matters in the end since Dobson is going to be better than any of them.

I don't think keeping Toews and trading Leddy was a viable option. Leddy had a pretty rough year last year. Having to lug Boychuk up and down the ice certainly didn't help. There were rumbles that NYI had Leddy on offer several times over the last couple of years, and nothing emerged. I just don't think there was demand. I think a lot of teams see Leddy as an extremely talented skater who has questionable hockey sense. And they're right! Otoh, teams wanted Toews.

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
28:44 ice time today in a playoff-style game. Got a really unlucky penalty too on a defensive play, hit the puck away from a forward so hard it went to stands and two minutes for delay of game.

28:44 was over two minutes more than any other skater from either team.

Also Toews was the only one with more than one hit from Avalanche.

Last edited:

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Toews rarely takes a stupid penalty, but this one against Wild was one of them.

So far +3 tonight, which raises him to 2nd in NHL behind Edmundson and tied with Verhaeghe (and MacKinnon).

Last edited:

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Players with 20+ points 10- penalty minutes, positive +/- and ice time of at least 23 minutes per game:
PlayerTeamP+/-PIMTOI/GP
Ivan ProvorovPHI2041025:09
Devon ToewsCOL22231024:42
Adam FoxNYR3311624:42
Cale MakarCOL2518623:59
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Kale Makar

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Players with 20+ points 10- penalty minutes, positive +/- and ice time of at least 23 minutes per game:
PlayerTeamP+/-PIMTOI/GP
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Sam Girard would join the club too with his 30 points, +16 and 23:02 TOI / GP if he was not a goon with 12 PIMs.

Kale Makar

Lets go Aves?
Apr 17, 2013
Denver, CO
PlayerTeamP+/-PIMTOI/GP
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Even if you bump it up to 25 PIM you only add:
PlayerTeamP+/-PIMTOI/GP
Victor HedmanTBL36112225:31
Samuel GirardCOL30161223:32
Morgan Reilly TOR27141223:52
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

So 3/7 of these players are on the Avs...:amazed:

Reactions: Jaymond Flurrie

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
So was Lou forced to make the move due to cap issues or did he not realize what he had? I'm thinking it's a bit more the latter than former.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
So was Lou forced to make the move due to cap issues or did he not realize what he had? I'm thinking it's a bit more the latter than former.

cap issues and just looking at the Current roster. I would have preferred to Trade Leddy and Keep Toews. Trotz loves Leddy though and this year he’s actually played well Offensively like he’s capable of. Still would have preferred Toews.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland

It was both, he was also forced to make some kind of move.

Toews has also taken his playing level to whole different level, he really benefits from playing with such great players, but honestly, that works both ways, he is also helping his teammates a lot.

If I would have before this season stated here in Finland that Toews is without a question having a better season than Miro Heiskanen, I would have been laughed out.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
One thing I'm still amazed about is the ice time Toews is getting. I mean, when you're #10 in NHL in ice time, it can't about something like "well this guy is ok and I'll reward him a bit and maybe he'll survive and...". It is plain and simple that you have to be the #1 choice of your coach, especially outside of powerplay time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad