GDT: Devils vs. Stars - 7:00 PM - MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
It doesn't matter what I think....but...they just aren't good enough to be the foundation of anything. People get all emotional when there is a negative comment about young players...but none of what I am saying means these guys aren't good players....but ""good" players aren't foundational. I mean there is still some time for Hughes to show something but his performance this year has been appalling in my opinion...I mean almost an embarrassment. So where is his ceiling from here? We'll see I guess and of course you don't trade a #1 overall after his 18 year old season but if he's twice as good next season that still sucks....that's how much he has to improve. I'm not seeing the path forward with these two unless you surround them with significantly better players ...then they are just a cog not foundational at all
No player in Devils history was ever on track to be a “foundational player” if you do not think Nico is on that path. Literally not a single one ever, period. Show the Devils that have done more age 18-21. Patrik Elias is a likely HOF and doesn’t compare to what Nico has accomplished at his age.

I know you’re doing a bit, but it’s only funny if it’s somewhat plausible.

Reactions: Billdo

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
It doesn't matter what I think....but...they just aren't good enough to be the foundation of anything. People get all emotional when there is a negative comment about young players...but none of what I am saying means these guys aren't good players....but ""good" players aren't foundational. I mean there is still some time for Hughes to show something but his performance this year has been appalling in my opinion...I mean almost an embarrassment. So where is his ceiling from here? We'll see I guess and of course you don't trade a #1 overall after his 18 year old season but if he's twice as good next season that still sucks....that's how much he has to improve. I'm not seeing the path forward with these two unless you surround them with significantly better players ...then they are just a cog not foundational at all

Im sure you've had a bourbon that's older than Jack... come on. This year has been a disappointment, at least in my opinion, yes. He's still a child though. I wish he went to college first tbh. Having said that with regard to Hughes, Nico is in my opinion absolutely a foundational piece. He's picked it up since Hall has left. He's a future captain, there's just nothing not to like about him right now.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
No player in Devils history was ever on track to be a “foundational player” if you do not think Nico is on that path. Literally not a single one ever, period. Show the Devils that have done more age 18-21. Patrik Elias is a likely HOF and doesn’t compare to what Nico has accomplished at his age.

I know you’re doing a bit, but it’s only funny if it’s somewhat plausible.
Kirk Muller scored 74 points in year 3 and 94 points in year 4.... MacLean was a 30 goal scorer by year 3, Shanahan by year 3 as well. Elias was a little bit older but by his 3rd full season he was a 70+ point player. Similarly for Parise who was older but was a 30 goal scorer in year 2.... Zajac who is nowhere near a foundational player was at 62 points in year 3 and getting Selke votes...

Generational scoring aside these guys were major contributors to tangible success and improvement. We aren't seeing that with what we have today...you can talk about nuances all you like but this team is going nowhere with Hischier as the go to player...I feel the same way about Hughes but I'll reserve judgement for another year...but this year was horrific.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Thank goodness... wouldn't want him to miss that chance at 50 points.

Yeah this is weak as I see it and I’m guessing I’m not alone.. Kid was smashed into the boards and stretched his legs the wrong way. He was probably pretty sore and rallies to score a goal after a physical shift. You are entitled to your opinion but this snarky dismissive comment seems strange if you’ve watched him post Hynes post Hall.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
If we can’t draft Lafreniere I hope we are in a spot to take Drysdale.
I’d rather have him than Byfield . I know people say never draft based off of positional need , but Drysdale is “supposed” to be Makar level good (slightly less offensive skill but better defensively).
I’d take that over another C in Byfield with having Nico Hughes Zacha as C . A sniper for Hughes’ wing would be awesome but I fell we can still get that with the Yotes pick . Drysdale is way better than the next D prospect .

Camille the Eel

Don’t see how one can criticize Nico tonight or bellyache about his quality. His line outplayed Benn and Seguin consistently, shift after shift, in the 3d period and he personally not only scores but creates the game tying goal with seven minutes left by taking the puck from low to high, through traffic, holding onto it to get into the spot to let it go through traffic. The play of a mature first rate player. His wheels have just been great lately, his edge work skating (he outplayed Barzal last game against the Isles). There’s everything to love about his game. The grit and character too. He thinks the game well and is getting better consistently.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I can see Nico being a lot like Bergeron . Doesn’t quit ,skilled , plays an excellent two way game . That’s saying a lot but I would not be surprised to see Nico being looked at in the same light as Bergeron if Nico keeps playing and improving as he has since Hynes and Hall left

Camille the Eel

I can see Nico being a lot like Bergeron . Doesn’t quit ,skilled , plays an excellent two way game . That’s saying a lot but I would not be surprised to see Nico being looked at in the same light as Bergeron if Nico keeps playing and improving as he has since Hynes and Hall left
Ryan O’Reilly also comes to mind. Although I think Nico is actually more dominant as a skater or is going to be. And that also is saying a lot.

Nico can and will improve his shot.

Reactions: My3Sons

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I just got the chance to watch the condensed game now. WTF were the Devils doing defensively on all the goals??
Carrick with a limp wristed one handed clearing attempt that was a turnover that lead to a goal.
4 Devils all puck watching and all within an arms reach of the 1 Stars player in the slot but no one picks him up ???
And Subban in OT...
All mistakes made that players in the NHL should not be making

Reactions: Whaddagoal

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
We need to draft better - this is really all it comes down to.
The defense can only be remade via free agency (not foundational players) or trades (giving up something we need, thus creating another hole).
Draft better, solves the problems.
The only downside, we have to wait. Multiple years. Hope our scouts are right, and hope the next GM knows about timing and gets lucky.
Drafting is the only way

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Bergeron was was 60+ point player in year two and a 70+ point player in year 3 and 4. He was a 30 goal scorer in his 3rd year. Our team wouldn't suck so bad with these numbers...And Bergeron was a #45 overall not a a #1 overall.

Ryan O'Reilly is a nice piece.... definitely not a foundational player. O"Reilly is the kind of player that brings you over the top in addition to foundational players and precisely why he's been on 3 teams before age 30.....and O"Reilly was also a 2nd rounder...

If you don't think comparing Nico to very good second rounders is a problem in and of itself...then that is probably the disconnect we have here.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Sykora getting his lap with this team after all these years was worth the price of admission for me.

Well worth it to see that in person.

My favorite Devils team of all-time. Wish Pando, Raffi and Almo could have been there too.

Props to the Devils for giving Sykora the spotlight. When they were bringing the players out by uniform #, I was wondering why they skipped him. Then when Stevens came out with the Conn Smythe, it was obvious Petr was next. Definitely THE highlight of the evening for me.

Also got to meet Sarge and Lemieux and got Neids to sign my jersey. :)

Reactions: mtnet

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Bergeron was was 60+ point player in year two and a 70+ point player in year 3 and 4. He was a 30 goal scorer in his 3rd year. Our team wouldn't suck so bad with these numbers...And Bergeron was a #45 overall not a a #1 overall.

Ryan O'Reilly is a nice piece.... definitely not a foundational player. O"Reilly is the kind of player that brings you over the top in addition to foundational players and precisely why he's been on 3 teams before age 30.....and O"Reilly was also a 2nd rounder...

If you don't think comparing Nico to very good second rounders is a problem in and of itself...then that is probably the disconnect we have here.

Weak again. Who cares where great players were drafted. And so Bergeron alone makes this a good team? He’s going to play defense and goalie on shifts he’s not a center? Meh. One guy wouldn’t move the needle. EDM has two dominant players and hasn’t won anything. NJ has problems but Nico’s ability isn’t one of them. Just my thought but I think I’m the mainstream and you are the outlier on this issue.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
You know if your going to give Nico the benefit of the doubt for playing on a shit team, then Jack deserves that same curtesy considering he is two years younger.

That’s if you want to be fair (and many have no desire to be fair, axes to grind and all)

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Check out the lineup on D the BDevs iced tonight.

Yikes.

Thanks for nothing Ray
And check out who was in net for them tonight. And even after his 5 game hit streak still can’t get his AHL save percentage to .900% after 10 games.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Nico is one of the few good things about this season.

The guy is the best player on the team. Yeah, Palmieri, Coleman and Gusev have all been great, but all those guys are late 20’s already and Nico just turned 21.

There’s not much of an argument to be made that he isn’t the best player on the team IMO. And I mean the current best player in the organization, not even the highest ceiling.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Seriously. Log off

Holik was NEVER a Selke candidate
He was never a Selka candidate, as in a top-3 finalist, but he did get 3 different top-9 finishes (highest finish was 5th in 1998) and finished in the top-14 in Selke votes for 5 years in a row between 98 and 02.

Holik was better than John Madden by quite a bit. Holik had a huge reputation (and it was well earned) for being one of the better shutdown centers in the league at the time the Rangers signed him to that ridiculous deal. He was a better version of Madden. In fact, when Holik left to sign that contract, people kept asking how would we replace him and it was Madden that started logging even more minutes and even tougher assignments, despite the fact that he had already won his first Selke before Holik had even departed the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad