GDT: Devils vs. Stars - 7:00 PM - MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Nico's career path has not been nor is it going to be McDavid like. No one should have ever thought it would be.

But at this point it is pretty similar to MacKinnon through 3 years. Now him turning into MacKinnon is certainly on the high end of the spectrum, but to this point they do have similar career paths.
Hischier is a much better defensive player at this point than MacKinnon was. he doesn't even need to hit the exact highs in points to be just as much of an impact player.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Hischier is a much better defensive player at this point than MacKinnon was. he doesn't even need to hit the exact highs in points to be just as much of an impact player.
I don't watch MacKinnon enough to know, but I do know that Nico's style of play does sacrifice some offense in the name of responsible play.

Still MacKinnon is right now a dominant player, whether he is soft defensively or not, and it would be fantastic if Nico can reach that level even if he doesn't produce offensively at that level. And as I noted in my reply given their similar career paths through 3 years (and MacKinnon didn't break out till his 5th year) it's not unreasonable to think Nico could reach that level of impact.

Reactions: Blender

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
0.69 is higher than 0.63. Your own post supports that he has improved while you blindly contradict that fact.
It is a 5 point improvement in 82 games....over 3 years. That's about as straight of line as you can possibly have

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Nico's career path has not been nor is it going to be McDavid like. No one should have ever thought it would be.

But at this point it is pretty similar to MacKinnon through 3 years. Now him turning into MacKinnon is certainly on the high end of the spectrum, but to this point they do have similar career paths.
MacKinnon
63 points in 82 at 18. .77 ppg
Year 2 .59 ppg
Year 3 .72 ppg
Career after 3 years 153 points in 218 games .70 ppg

Nico hasn't broken .7 ppg. MacKinnon showed elite offensive capabilities in year one and was a Calder trophy winner...comparing those two seems to require a lot of blinders

Reactions: mdj12784

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I don't want a #1 overall thats best qualities are heart and guts... that's what the Henrique's and Blake Coleman's of the world are for...I want a #1 overall who is top tier scorer or top pairing Dman and better than the vast majority of the players in the league.

Id take a 70 point Hischier over an 80 point EP but that’s just my thought. I think Nico gets there because of those intangibles similarly to Coleman rising to the top of his skill set.

I get your point but to me Nico is as good as any other player from his draft. I don’t watch enough COL to comment on Makar but EP and Heiskanen are soft. Doesn’t make them bad players but I think they both need someone else to do their dirty work. Nico doesn’t. Just my thought and you may see it differently.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
MacKinnon
63 points in 82 at 18. .77 ppg
Year 2 .59 ppg
Year 3 .72 ppg
Career after 3 years 153 points in 218 games .70 ppg

Nico hasn't broken .7 ppg. MacKinnon showed elite offensive capabilities in year one and was a Calder trophy winner...comparing those two seems to require a lot of blinders
0.66 ppg Hischier and 0.70 ppg MacKinnon is a 3 point difference over 82 games.

Reactions: Darkauron

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Id take a 70 point Hischier over an 80 point EP but that’s just my thought. I think Nico gets there because of those intangibles similarly to Coleman rising to the top of his skill set.

I get your point but to me Nico is as good as any other player from his draft. I don’t watch enough COL to comment on Makar but EP and Heiskanen are soft. Doesn’t make them bad players but I think they both need someone else to do their dirty work. Nico doesn’t. Just my thought and you may see it differently.
I'm not so sure...there are a lot of players from that draft coming on strong...Makar is pretty much out producing Nico and he is a D man.

I 'd trade Nico for Makar straight up right now.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
0.66 ppg Hischier and 0.70 ppg MacKinnon is a 3 point difference over 82 games.
True it's a slight difference but if in one season Nico had .77 ppg in a season there would be some sort of hope that could build on that.... Nico is in year 3 and nowhere close to that.

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
Jim just give it up

u dont become a bow hunter and quit so easily on other things.

i will say whatever clicked with nico, its working now. he sees it, he gets it, and its on from here on out. and thats great for us as fans and for the team as a whole. so who f***ing cares. errybody different yo. like i lean a little to right. so what, who cares. my balance i mean. naturally.

Reactions: Darkauron

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I think Jim’s point of being concerned is valid. I also think it’s too early to make a judgement, we don’t really know just how much of an impact player Nico is going to be. I’m leaning toward he will be a Bergeron type player but it really is tough to say at this point.

We should all be a bit more skeptical about our prospects/young players, recognizing that we have over valued every single one of the past 10 years while being in denial of objective warning signs.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I'm not so sure...there are a lot of players from that draft coming on strong...Makar is pretty much out producing Nico and he is a D man.

I 'd trade Nico for Makar straight up right now.

I’m sure you aren’t alone in that but I think your better argument is your primary one - that the team has struggled longer than is reasonable. I do t think looking at players 18-23 and saying they aren’t foundational enough for you is a fair point. Saying that the vets stink and there aren’t enough young players looking like good NHL players may have more merit.

I really am not sure why you make yourself miserable over this. Find a good team that you believe is run by competent management. Root for them. Life’s too short. You are unhappy with management coaching and the players it seems. Name one thing beyond the team’s history and uniforms that you like or enjoy currently? If the answer is nothing why do this to yourself? Wha it until the team is better and come back. There’s no penalty for liking more than one team.

Last edited:

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
That drive to the net in OT is all you need to know about Hischier now. With Hall here, he would've deferred to him or someone else. I like that he said f*** you and took it to the net himself.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i’m in this thread like

8-AC69-D1-B-FD1-A-49-C4-8274-210-BF32-DD80-C.jpg

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
this has been one of the worst weeks of reading this board that i can remember and it has nothing to do with the team

I've never used the ignore feature, but I'm getting close to putting a few posters on it.

I will ask this again, since Jim conveniently ignored it...do you want Nico to fail? What is your ultimate goal here, to be able to pat yourself on the back if he does fail? Or is this simply more of your borderline trolling act?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I’m sure you aren’t alone in that but I think your better argument is your primary one - that the team has struggled longer than is reasonable. I do t think looking at players 18-23 and saying they aren’t foundational enough for you is a fair point. Saying that the vets stink and there aren’t enough young players looking like good NHL players may have more merit.

I really am not sure why you make yourself miserable over this. Find a good team that you believe is run by competent management. Root for them. Life’s too short. You are unhappy with management coaching and the players it seems. Name one thing beyond the team’s history and uniforms that you like or enjoy currently?
The only question on anyone's mind should be how do we get out of this situation. I am pissed. I am pissed that entire organization was upended 6 years ago and the culture ripped apart in a vindictive way and blatantly an a giant FU to everything that had been built here...from the #13 to the social media nonsense to facial hair and every other little detail that so many cheered for when abolished.... everything that made this organization different was flushed down the toilet

Now here we are. The new aged Devil's with Subbans YouTube channel, Nico's#13 awaiting the next draft lottery 6 years after the expirement began. I want a giant purge a cleaning of this shitty expirement and I would start with a blockbuster deal. There is no course to stay...this team had no direction under Shero and plunged us further into disarray than this organization has ever been in.

No there is very I like about this team right now....the only thing I have is the hope that whoever takes over next returns some of the respectability that took 30+ years to build and only 5 for Shero to destroy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->