Pre-Game Talk: Devils vs Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Thanks. So Babs is back to the status-quo.

At least Auston is back!!!
hopefully this chatter about teams looking for forwards involves us - send Sosh somewhere that he'll play for a 3rd/4th/5th, deal one of Bozak or JVR for futures and open a roster spot for one of the kids. If Marleau is willing to play center long term, I think that's an upgrade over Bozak

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The Marner line only goes when Marner goes. Other than that, we are pretty much back to being a one line team again. Don't like Kadri with Marleau and the 4th line is the 4th line.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
What are the lines in practice today? Is Matthews good to go?

Looks like he's back, won;t know until tomorrow for sure.

#Leafs lines at practice:
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Komarov
van Riemsdyk-Bozak-Marner
Martin-Moore-Brown
Leivo, Soshnikov

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Borgman-Carrick
Polak

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I really dislike that line, even if they have played better of late
So Sosh joins Leivo in the press-box

Yeah it's not my favorite line. JVR and Bozak shouldn't be on the same line but they did score like 5 of our last 7 goals against Boston.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Looks like he's back, won;t know until tomorrow for sure.

#Leafs lines at practice:
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Komarov
van Riemsdyk-Bozak-Marner
Martin-Moore-Brown
Leivo, Soshnikov

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Borgman-Carrick
Polak
Hope AM34 is ready to go, but babs sure wont shake up those lines lol. the guy is like groundhog day everyday is the same! sure is a little stubborn.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
hopefully this chatter about teams looking for forwards involves us - send Sosh somewhere that he'll play for a 3rd/4th/5th, deal one of Bozak or JVR for futures and open a roster spot for one of the kids. If Marleau is willing to play center long term, I think that's an upgrade over Bozak

True. Long term sustained success not only includes having a good roster but also good asset management as well

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

We can only hope. BTW, what's with this Marleau doesn't want to play centre stuff, isn't he supposed to be "a good pro"?

Reactions: PromisedLand

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Wouldn't the fact he played center even though it's not something he likes doing is what makes him a "good pro"?

Sure I guess, unless he's doing it grudgingly. I wasn't suggesting he's not a good pro, I think Babcock said he was so I was just asking. I've seen it said here and there that he doesn't like playing centre, I was just wondering what the story was behind that and how seriously we should be taking it. If he prefers wing but will play centre if that's what the team wants him to do, that's fine.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
We can only hope. BTW, what's with this Marleau doesn't want to play centre stuff, isn't he supposed to be "a good pro"?
I heard Gord Miller speculate that Marleau not wanting to play center could be something that is left over from the last couple of years of his time in SJ - being a winger let him inflate his scoring stats to get another contract. Now that he's got that contract he might not care as much

Miller also acknowledged that being a center is harder on the body, so maybe Marleau still doesn't want to

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I heard Gord Miller speculate that Marleau not wanting to play center could be something that is left over from the last couple of years of his time in SJ - being a winger let him inflate his scoring stats to get another contract. Now that he's got that contract he might not care as much

Miller also acknowledged that being a center is harder on the body, so maybe Marleau still doesn't want to

I think in one of the pressers Marleau basically said he is not a center. He does not see himself as a center. But that doesnt mean he is not playing, relatively speaking, much better as a center than bozak.

Question boils down to whether or not Babs is willing to play Willy in a center position.

if not this season then next? If Willy is being groomed to play center then he has to play center to learn the position.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

That's interesting, thanks. My first reaction is that one, if it's just one guy speculating we can't shouldn't read too much into it - has Marleau actually said anything himself? If it is the contract stuff then I have mixed feelings - on one hand that's good news as he has his contract now so he shouldn't care anymore. On the other hand, if he is the type of player to think about his contract before the team than that's the opposite of a good pro. Same goes for being harder on the body - he's a big strong lad so suck it up buttercup. JMHO.

Maybe it's all just clickbait?

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Would be nice to see Sosh in the line-up. I loved his energy/grit and he added a dangerous shot on the checking line.
If the Bozak rumours are true and he gets dealt, I'd like to see the follow at least once this year.

Hymen - Matthews - Marner
JVR - Nylander - Brown
Marleau - Kadri - Leivo
Sosh - Moore - Komarov

It would spread out the offence over the first three lines with a blend of grit, speed and skill on each line.
That 4th line would be difficult to handle as well with their puck-pursuit abilities.
Probably won't happen though, unfortunately.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
They didn't. MoneyPuck.com

If the Leafs looked slow, how did they manage ~50 shots on net? They had superb goaltending, we did not.

We almost lapped them in xG, it was 3.5 vs 6.08. That was a game that was stolen by Schneider or given up by Andersen, whichever way you want to look at it.

That was just a **** show of a game.

Giving up a goal 5 on 3 should say it all.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I think in one of the pressers Marleau basically said he is not a center. He does not see himself as a center. But that doesnt mean he is not playing, relatively speaking, much better as a center than bozak.

Question boils down to whether or not Babs is willing to play Willy in a center position.

if not this season then next? If Willy is being groomed to play center then he has to play center to learn the position.
When Matthews and Nylander were just tearing through defenses I was hesitant to want to split them up, they seemed to hit a bit of a wall. I'd still like to have Nylander signed before moving him to center though, probably a $2M/year swing in his cost just by changing the comps to centers

I've liked Marleau at center if he's willing to stay for sure, but that seems like it's straight from the horse's mouth if he said it to the media

That's interesting, thanks. My first reaction is that one, if it's just one guy speculating we can't shouldn't read too much into it - has Marleau actually said anything himself? If it is the contract stuff then I have mixed feelings - on one hand that's good news as he has his contract now so he shouldn't care anymore. On the other hand, if he is the type of player to think about his contract before the team than that's the opposite of a good pro. Same goes for being harder on the body - he's a big strong lad so suck it up buttercup. JMHO.

Maybe it's all just clickbait?

I haven't heard him say anything himself, but sounds like he might have said it in a press conference according to the post above

I think the money part is a reality of life though, if it were me in the same position and I was looking at the difference between a $19m/3 contract or a $5-8M/2 contract I know it would matter to me. And SJ didn't need him at center so maybe that request considers the team too, who knows

And yes for sure, there's a factor of the media pandering to the audience for clicks and listens. I like Miller but you don't get to that level without knowing how to keep people on the hook

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto

What I'm not sure I understand about this is, if he's not gonna be there for long, who's he replacing on which line? If it was Hyman or Komo, it would have happened by now. The only one who he has replaced at some point is Marner and with Marner playing like Marner again, I can't see that happening for a while. So potential trade coming??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad