Pre-Game Talk: Devils vs Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I haven't heard him say anything himself, but sounds like he might have said it in a press conference according to the post above

I think the money part is a reality of life though, if it were me in the same position and I was looking at the difference between a $19m/3 contract or a $5-8M/2 contract I know it would matter to me. And SJ didn't need him at center so maybe that request considers the team too, who knows

And yes for sure, there's a factor of the media pandering to the audience for clicks and listens. I like Miller but you don't get to that level without knowing how to keep people on the hook

Yeah it might all just be fluff, wouldn't surprise me at all.

As far as the contract thing - sure I get that and I did think of that. On the other hand, at the time he's already a seasoned veteran who already has a contract and is being paid a lot of money. At that point, doesn't he have an obligation to do whatever he can to help the team win? Unless they agreed before signing that he wouldn't be asked to play centre, that's another thing but that sounds like a reach.

Maybe I'm just too much of an idealist, definitely possible as I do have that tendency. :laugh:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Our team actually looked terrible without him statswise

True. It was still fun to win a few games though.

To expand on that a bit - there were some people saying they wouldn't watch when Matthews was out and that I just don't get. There are a ton of exciting players to watch on this team, we're a lot more than just Matthews and a bunch of random guys.

member 262271

True. It was still fun to win a few games though.

To expand on that a bit - there were some people saying they wouldn't watch when Matthews was out and that I just don't get. There are a ton of exciting players to watch on this team, we're a lot more than just Matthews and a bunch of random guys.
I was one of those people originally, though it didn't stick and I watched anyways. For me it was just hard to imagine a team playing the way we were (focusing a little too much on the disastrous road trip) without Auston.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Leafs sports science guys are going to be super cautious with Matthews so I honestly won't be surprised if he misses the Devils game

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I was one of those people originally, though it didn't stick and I watched anyways. For me it was just hard to imagine a team playing the way we were (focusing a little too much on the disastrous road trip) without Auston.

Haha OK, I imagine you're glad you did watch.

Anyhow, to each his own. I always watch no matter what because it's in my blood. There were many years where I sort of had the TV on but wasn't paying close attention but still, I had it on. Maybe it's just that I've suffered through so many rough times that today, even without Matthews this is still probably the most talented team I've seen here (I've been watching since the early 70's) so hell yeah, I'll watch every game I can.

Reactions: Fluke Schenn

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Babcock said how happy he was about how boring the games without Matthews were, that's because we weren't a complete tyre fire defensively

I hate how often Babcock mentions he wants the Leafs to be a boring team.

If he wants to be boring, why doesn't he just get the team to play like the Sens?

Reactions: hotpaws

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

If he wants to be boring, why doesn't he just get the team to play like the Sens?

I think he wants them to be "boring" in there own zone, let's be honest when were in our own zone it's an adventure most of the time, I don't think he wants them Sens boring though

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
The Marner line only goes when Marner goes. Other than that, we are pretty much back to being a one line team again. Don't like Kadri with Marleau and the 4th line is the 4th line.

How are we a one line team? Just because you dont like a player on a certain line? Also what do you mean again? As if we have ever been a one line team this season.
I dont like Hyman with Matthews. I guess we are pretty much back to being 0 line team again.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

You do realize there is a difference between boring in own zone and boring overall?
I love how often Babcock mentions he wants us to be boring. I completely agree with Babcock. I would much rather be boring when defending.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I am pretty sure that Matthews is going to dress tomorrow night and this should give a boost to the team. I am also speculating Soshnikov to be in the line up - not sure what's Leivo future is with this club

I am speculating some kind of a move(s) sooner then later

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

i think he wants them to be boring in their end. he said it last year.

Fun Zone, Speed Zone, Work Zone. be boring in work zone, and do your damage in the fun zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad