Pre-Game Talk: Devils vs Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The team GF is really up there, along with the GA, because the team runs and guns.

If we are going to blame Andersen because the team runs and guns, guess we can, but that does not make much sense.

If the team runs and guns, all the stats related to that, ie scoring, will be inflated.
What makes sense is to blame him for the easily stoppable goals that seemed to have happened at least once a game.
He's been better lately, hopefully that continues.

Reactions: Rogie and Pi

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
What makes sense is to blame him for the easily stoppable goals that seemed to have happened at least once a game.
He's been better lately, hopefully that continues.

This team also does not run and gun. That is absolutely false. One of our fast forwards take off when the puck is in control of our defenseman by design, that is not run and gun.

Reactions: Rogie

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I don't think we have to worry about anyone underestimating the Devils this time around.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
At this point its quite clear that Jersey is a good team, beatable but good team. They've beaten some very good teams, Leafs will have their hands full, but I see a Leaf victory this time around.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Soshnikov was definitely the correct choise to move on up like mayfield did back then.

He will bring that fire on our behalf and truly brings it all on the field there. He leaves everything on the field. We might blow big time next game and show the whole world again what toronto truly is. We are the fire and have the most fans in the whole universe. In hockey I mean. There are other sports as well and they might play even human head football in jupiter or in cryptaynus.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Goals allowed, is always correlated to the GAA. That GAA is correlated to the sv% if people like to follow that thing.

GA is always a product of the team.

If the GAA is near the bottom, you either look at the goalie or the team that needs to be fixed. Andersen GAA is at the very bottom.

However, Andersen is tied at 2nd for wins at 10. The only goalie that has more wins is the Tampa goalie.

Incidentally, the team defense started to look better and the Leafs were trying to play 3-2 games after they moved Bozak to the 4th line.

NHL.com - Stats
ANDersen has all those wins because he's in net when the leafs score a lot of goals.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Goals allowed, is always correlated to the GAA. That GAA is correlated to the sv% if people like to follow that thing.

GA is always a product of the team.

If the GAA is near the bottom, you either look at the goalie or the team that needs to be fixed. Andersen GAA is at the very bottom.

However, Andersen is tied at 2nd for wins at 10. The only goalie that has more wins is the Tampa goalie.

Incidentally, the team defense started to look better and the Leafs were trying to play 3-2 games after they moved Bozak to the 4th line.

NHL.com - Stats

Only plausible reason to keep Bozak and JVR is if Babs runs a 4 line attack

1st line
Matthews-Willy

2nd line
Marleau-Marner

3rd line
Kadri-Brown

4th line
Bozak-Leivo

canadon

Jun 25, 2015
Vaughan, ON
It's interesting to see if Soshnikov will be inserted into the lineup immediately against the Devils. Hopefully Wednesday's lines at the practice will provide some clues...

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
This team also does not run and gun. That is absolutely false. One of our fast forwards take off when the puck is in control of our defenseman by design, that is not run and gun.
The Leafs are the highest scoring team in the league. That is a fact at 71 goals after 19 games, which is one short of twenty games where traditionally GMs around the league take stock of their team.

The Leafs are the 3rd worst for goals against in the league at 63 goals against. Only teams worst are the last place Coyotes, and the champs from last season the Penguins.

The Leafs have the worst goalie according to the GAA in the entire league. Not just starters, but that is worst than all backups too. No one is worst than Andersen.

That leaves only a few possible conclusions.

- the Leafs offense is great but the goalie stinks

- the Leafs offense is great but the defense sucks

- the Leafs run and gun

- possible combination of all of the above.

This is kind of important, because teams will always try to improve themselves. Where to make the improvement, depends on where does one see the problem is.

Since Babcock, the best coach in hockey reputedly, played the worst player in the league at his position, gave him the most starts than any other goalie, does indicate he does NOT feel that is the case.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
ANDersen has all those wins because he's in net when the leafs score a lot of goals.
It's called a narrative, which you have provided.

The beauty about narratives, there could be competing narratives.

Narratives could be the result of religious conviction, or empirical data. They can also be black and white, or ambiguous.

To make a long story short, I don't think there is too much deficiency with the current team, compared to other Leafs teams. I think there is more balance too, everywhere in the roster.

Still there are weak spots, but I do not believe Andersen is one of them. If he was, he would not have won 10 games, and counting.

Also, look beyond that GAA and sv% stat, because that should not correlate to 2nd in the league with 10 wins for the goalie.

Head to head, who did Andersen beat this year?

How many games did Andersen blow on his own?

The second question is a good one because, if one replies along the lines he could of played better, that's bs because that is just concerning ourselves with style points. How many games did Andersen blow on his own? Did he give his team a chance to win in his games, or not? How many games?

That is still a little subjective, but by definition, if the Leafs win, and Andersen won the game, logically that means Andersen gave the team a chance to win, because they won.

Could he have played better? Sure, but he won the game. He gave the team a chance to win! Isn't that the point?

Go Leafs Go!

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I mean, theey have done that, they are 3 points up on Ottawa, 6 up on Detroit 7 up on Montreal , 8 up on Boston, 11 up on Buffalo and 12 up on Florida.

Tampa is the only team ahead and I think they can be caught where as I don't think a team like Detroit for example can catch the Leafs and there are 2 reasons for that.

1 despite the gap only being 6 points between Toronto and Detroit just like it is between Toronto and Tampa, Detroit doesn't have the depth Toronto does, they don't have a player the caliber of Patrick Marleau on the 3rd line, in fact none of the teams behind the Leafs do, but when healthy the Leafs can and have done that.

2 The Leafs are where they are in the standings despite Freddie taking a month off, but ever since the California trip he seems to be getting it back, he was great against SJ, great against the ducks, good enough to win against Vegas great against Minnesota and great against Boston if this team can continue to score AND they have good goaltending the rest of the NHL is in A LOT of trouble

I thought Freddy had his best game of the year on Saturday against Boston....oh wait, that was McElhinney.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
So long between games.
Seems like it is taking FOREVER !

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
Soshnikov was definitely the correct choise to move on up like mayfield did back then.

He will bring that fire on our behalf and truly brings it all on the field there. He leaves everything on the field. We might blow big time next game and show the whole world again what toronto truly is. We are the fire and have the most fans in the whole universe. In hockey I mean. There are other sports as well and they might play even human head football in jupiter or in cryptaynus.

Damn, we've been missing the ol' Senor Martinez swagger all season!

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Only plausible reason to keep Bozak and JVR is if Babs runs a 4 line attack

1st line
Matthews-Willy

2nd line
Marleau-Marner

3rd line
Kadri-Brown

4th line
Bozak-Leivo
Now y'all has to have Komarov, Leo out there with Kadri Brown of course. Maybe you had that caps lock on or smoethung cause there is somebody clearly missing in action jackson like Carl Weathers did his thang back then. We are doing so great right now and moving up, even with our hero Matthews 34#. Marner picking it up certainly also and seein him with the old marleau really makes my blood boil hard. They even fooled us all by putting Polak on the wing during training. Damn that man is a tough one. But he ain't playing no offensive game for us LOL. We all know that. He just putting his a - game on the D and PK, Blocks and hits that thang. We are getting ours tomorrow and we are going to play a good hockey game against Lou's Ex's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad