Pre-Game Talk: Devils vs Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I think he wants them to be "boring" in there own zone, let's be honest when were in our own zone it's an adventure most of the time, I don't think he wants them Sens boring though

I agree they need to keep it simple in their own zone instead of being creative or cute - just clear the soon on 1st opportunity instead of make a perfect pass

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I don't think the leafs stats department has some revolutionary way of measuring high quality chances that nobody knows about but feel free to correct me

i honestly think the Leafs (and the NHL in general) have better quality statistics than things we can get on the internet. - regardless of my feelings of advanced stats worship in general. i don't think babcock would say he was happy with the play, if he was disgusted by it or the numbers truly indicated otherwise for what they are tracking.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
It's a matter of options you have and we really have no options at "C"position, so we are stuck with Bozak

Moore to the pressbox. Bozak to 4th line centre. Marleau stays in the middle. Brown stays in the top 9. Only reason to keep Bozak in the top 9 is if we're shopping him IMO.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Bozak to 4th line centre. Marleau stays in the middle. Brown stays in the top 9. Only reason to keep Bozak in the top 9 is if we're shopping him IMO.

If Babcock continue using Marleau at "C"then Bozak is automatically on 4th line (as is he has played few games on 4th line)

member 262271

Haha OK, I imagine you're glad you did watch.

Anyhow, to each his own. I always watch no matter what because it's in my blood. There were many years where I sort of had the TV on but wasn't paying close attention but still, I had it on. Maybe it's just that I've suffered through so many rough times that today, even without Matthews this is still probably the most talented team I've seen here (I've been watching since the early 70's) so hell yeah, I'll watch every game I can.
It worked out pretty good! And good call on your comment about this being the most talented team in a while thing, it's easy to forget that/take it for granted.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
i honestly think the Leafs (and the NHL in general) have better quality statistics than things we can get on the internet. - regardless of my feelings of advanced stats worship in general. i don't think babcock would say he was happy with the play, if he was disgusted by it or the numbers truly indicated otherwise for what they are tracking.
i don't think there is any kind of hidden stat that can reverse how badly we were outchanced in our games against Boston + Minnesota. I think they have methods of evaluating players that we don't know about, but it's pretty hard to dispute that we got outplayed badly without Matthews

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
i don't think there is any kind of hidden stat that can reverse how badly we were outchanced in our games against Boston + Minnesota. I think they have methods of evaluating players that we don't know about, but it's pretty hard to dispute that we got outplayed badly without Matthews

We weren't exactly tearing up the league with him either. It's strange watching this team sometimes, just feels like they should be playing better than they are most nights.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
We weren't exactly tearing up the league with him either. It's strange watching this team sometimes, just feels like they should be playing better than they are most nights.
we went from like 5th in the league in xgf% (55%) to 13th (51%) in the 5 games we've played without him being healthy (St Louis, Vegas, Minny, Boston 2x) I believe. Maybe someone like Zeke can confirm

Last edited:
Reactions: Rogie

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
we went from like 5th in the league in xgf% (55%) to 13th (51%) in the 4 games we've played without him I believe. Maybe someone like Zeke can confirm

Wow really, if that's the case than I stand corrected.

Does anyone actually think we would get a 1st round pick for Bozak, I'm curious?

I don't see why not.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
for the sake of comparison, our average HDSCF% while Matthews was in the lineup and apparently healthy is 59% over those 14 games. 32% in the 5 games when he's not. 24% in the 3 games where he wasn't in the lineup at all. Yeah I kinda want him back by now

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
for the sake of comparison, our average HDSCF% while Matthews was in the lineup and apparently healthy is 59% over those 14 games. 32% in the 5 games when he's not. 24% in the 3 games where he wasn't in the lineup at all. Yeah I kinda want him back by now

Good teams win even when outplayed/outchanced , all is good :)

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Does anyone actually think we would get a 1st round pick for Bozak, I'm curious?

Not a certainty, but not impossible either. Probably would involve retention or taking back an expiring salary. Depends on the buyers/sellers market for centres too.

Reactions: Maple Leafs

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
but 59% to 24% is bonkers

It's a percentage, there have been 4 goals scored in high danger areas in the last three games by us and our opponents

The Vegas and first Boston games were pretty even and we got an early lead in the second Boston game and sat on it, the the Wild game we got curb stomped

Stats are nice but some context helps as well

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
yeah in our last 3 games without him our HDSCF% have been 17%, 30%, and 23%. And then 46% and 43% against Vegas and St Louis respectively, while he was playing but apparently hurt

Our what?
old-time-hockey-like-eddie-shore.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: