GDT: Devils vs Leafs - 80's Night! - 7:00 PM - MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Again with the lack of respect after PREACHING lack of respect. You are the biggest hypocrite on this board. I am a 10 year season ticket holder for this team and have been to over 500 Devil games in my lifetime. I was there tonight.

We have three goddamnn centers on this team. Zacha has been fine lately and he has been forced to play with scrubs. Zajac runs a checking line. Hischier has been driving a line of his own.

If you paid attention TO MY POSTS on here you would see the reason why. There’s nothing to lose. Lets see if Hall can help boost Zachas game. Would you rather have him on a checking line or play with Nico where Nico would have to play second fiddle instead of driving his own line?

63 13 21
9 37 90
44 19 20
11 43 18

OMG THE HORROR....get real.

i’m not adverse to a shakeup but zacha should never see top 6 minutes again. he’s a bottom 6 guy who can kill penalties

Reactions: Maine Fan

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
i’m not adverse to a shakeup but zacha should never see top 6 minutes again. he’s a bottom 6 guy who can kill penalties
Nothing to lose since the season is gone. Put Hall with Zacha And MoJo and see what the kid can do with them.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The sad thing is they did coast and still dominated us.

Yeah, it's pretty pathetic. That leafs effort wouldn't beat many teams in this league, but they know how bad we are and how crappy and uninspired they can play and still win.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'm not on the Anti Hynes train but a lot of his moves are questionable at best. Why doesn't Coleman play more? Why move Wood away from Zacha? I just don't get a lot of his thinking.
Well Wood and Coleman have been excellent together.

But when Coleman did not get OT minutes a couple games ago, I did wonder what Hynes was missing.

Coleman needs more minutes.

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
Shero won't fix it. I have zero faith in him this off season.
I think he deserves the chance but I don’t wanna read the same interview from him next year if things go downhill. “We’ve had a plan. John has been great and he’s great for the team. We’re not signing anybody”. If he can’t make significant progress next year then when will he? 3 of his biggest acquisitions in K Palm, Hall and Vats are all turning 28 in the 2019 calendar year. Surely he can’t be waiting until they’re 30 to make strides and stay there?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Yes this is extremely un-Devil like defense. A lot of times on ES, we look like we're on a PK for no particularly reason. I know, of course that can happen for brief moments of a game, when the other team really clicking well, but this happens to NJ WAAAY to often.

Sometime in the 3rd period, i think i saw this system (whatever it is) breakdown. Zajac was trying to defensively cover someone in D zone up high..... and as he skated to cover, he abrubtly slowed down, pointed to the D man instead to take the cover, but then, NEITHER did. And the Leaf just took 2 or 3 extra strides into the zone (on far side of camera).

At first you would say, miscommunication, but I think Zajac realized the guy wasn't his man, so he backed away, eventhough in the old system, he would have just covered him because the guy was in his zone of defensive coverage.

Hard to explain, but it happened in 3rd period sometime, but its unintuitive because Zajac was bearing down on a player to zone-coverage, but then just stopped and motioned for the d-man or whomever else to cover. Neither then did. Even-strength play.
Completely understand what you are saying...and completely agree...

I was saying to my wife in years past I knew where every player was outside the camera shot without seeing it...the camera would pan and there they were exactly where I expected them to be. Now I have no clue... nothing makes sense.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey

I still see he could breakout a bit more as a strong player. He shows pieces of it every game. I think frankly, this group is tired as they're outmatched without the top two guys for 8 or 9 games. Get one of Mojo or Hall back soon and they may feel the burden off a bit more.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
If you have no structure at all and your entire philosophy is one on one individual battles cracks will eventually show...

When things aren't going well you need to fall back on simple play...and we don't a structure that allows for that.
I think we have structure, but it's not a simple structure, thus the breakdowns.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
I wouldn't think you would have to really talk about how strong they have to be. They are professionals PLAY LIKE IT

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
I think he deserves the chance but I don’t wanna read the same interview from him next year if things go downhill. “We’ve had a plan. John has been great and he’s great for the team. We’re not signing anybody”. If he can’t make significant progress next year then when will he? 3 of his biggest acquisitions in K Palm, Hall and Vats are all turning 28 in the 2019 calendar year. Surely he can’t be waiting until they’re 30 to make strides and stay there?

Im not in the mood for more of his goal post moving to save face for another failure of a season.

They talked about making the playoffs again this year, hell it was talked about by Hynes in that pre-season documentary thing that was on the NHL network.

Then we go to complete shit since his plan this year backfired big time and he has to try and lie about how they didnt expect playoffs this year etc blah blah blah.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Same here. That’s really all there is to look forward to the rest of the way. I guess trade deadline as well. Would be excellent if Ray could swing some decent picks.

I could see a second for Boyle. Maybe a bit more for Mojo if we try to move him. That's probably it, though.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I still see he could breakout a bit more as a strong player. He shows pieces of it every game. I think frankly, this group is tired as they're outmatched without the top two guys for 8 or 9 games. Get one of Mojo or Hall back soon and they may feel the burden off a bit more.

i really doubt he’ll ever show the consistency you need to be a 1st or 2nd line center

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Completely understand what you are saying...and completely agree...

I was saying to my wife in years past I knew where every player was outside the camera shot without seeing it...the camera would pan and there they were exactly where I expected them to be. Now I have no clue... nothing makes sense.

It's either too damn complicated, or just completely wrong. Whatever they're thinking coaching wise is failing miserally on the ice. I'm not even sure it would work even with a more skilled team. As soon as the man coverage fails because the opponent does something unpredictable, one of our players is missing their mark, and you see it often with these wide open goals or backdoor wide open passes for goals we've been witnessing all season long.

I've rarely ever seen defensemen opt to skate up high ring following a player in the defensive zone coverage on ES until this season. Yes 4v4 and other man on man "standard coaching regimes"... For ES, usually the D man will peel off his pursuit and the defending fwd who is responsibly there will pickup/resume the high-pressure..

I've seen this now 2 or 3 times in 3 games. Its the same player, so maybe its Vatanen thinking too much of himself, but i doubt an NHL defensmen of generally his caliber will be going higher than the fwd's on a defensive pressure play regularly against the coaches will.

Reactions: Aethon

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
i really doubt he’ll ever show the consistency you need to be a 1st or 2nd line center

You might be right, but even tonight he showed he could play a power board game and control the puck well. that's kinda like a better version of woods game. I'm not saying he will reach that, but you can definitely see it in his game even now. Well, i'm hopeful for at least 2nd line maybe.

Reactions: MartyOwns

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

Agreed. I think he's more likely a 3rd line center that can play solid defense (when he's not making idiotic turnovers like he has lately) and kill penalties. Which is disappointing, but not the end of the world.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
39 more games of this, ugh. I could live with that if there was some marginal improvement or something to look forward to but there really isn't anything to get excited about with this team. Coleman and Palms are the only bright spots other than maybe Nico improving a little on last years effort, every one else is a f***ing plug.

It's tedious to watch this crap night in night out, I'm really down on this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad