GDT: Devils vs Leafs - 80's Night! - 7:00 PM - MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
It certainly is, but our defense, coaches aside, is one if not the worst in the league. We knew this coming into the season. You can't work miracles with that. I thought the forwards would be better, and I think we have more than what we are showing offensively. That said, our bottom 6 is more or less and AHL squad, so that doesn't help.

Islanders. Last place team defensively last year most goals given up. No changes to the defense this year. Top 5 defensive team in the NHL this year thanks to a new coach with a good system and structure.

Spare me the excuses for the constant defensive breakdowns being on the players and not the system Hynes runs.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I'm not on the Anti Hynes train but a lot of his moves are questionable at best. Why doesn't Coleman play more? Why move Wood away from Zacha? I just don't get a lot of his thinking.

Reactions: liquid1988

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i’ll say this though, if hynes throws kinkaid under the bus again he can f*** off

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
The one massive feather Hynes has in his cap is motivating Hall to become a league MVP. That makes me want to take a chance on a guy like Duchene. Like Hynes do the one thing he's actually good at and get that guy playing with passion.

Was that really on Hynes though? Hall had a chip on his shoulder (against EDM) the day he walked into this club to prove something. The first year was tough as it was a forgettable season.

I know there was the sitdown summer dinner or lunch, but wasn't that Shero? or was that Hynes?

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Islanders. Last place team defensively last year most goals given up. No changes to the defense this year. Top 5 defensive team in the NHL this year thanks to a new coach with a good system and structure.

Spare me the excuses for the constant defensive breakdowns being on the players and not the system Hynes runs.

I'm right there with you, don't worry. Our system is trash too. If there were no end boards I think our D men would back straight into the stands as opposing forwards hit our blueline.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I don't remember them ever saying anything particularly great about him like they do Hynes.

Other than ''We feel so bad that we got him fired, boo hoo'' and all that. Marty even accidentally buried the guy (though he probably didn't mean to) by saying ''There's no strategy, we just put our skates on and go out there''. RIP to the old Gulitti blog or I could dig up the exact quote.

That doesn't mean I think Hynes should have a job based on that though.

Half of them had played with him at that point. They liked him, but they didn't hard play for him and didn't understand him. That's the short of it and where I'm pointing to here when I keep seeing how everyone really respects and likes Hynes. So what. So friggin' what. The coach isn't there to be liked, he's there to prepare the team and get the most out of them. When the team swings so wildly from looking good for a period at a time to looking like beer leaguers the next... that screams to me.

Extension though... because double down when you're jockeying to look competent from a position of weakness. All that does is send a message that under performance is rewarded to the rest of the organization imo but what do I know after seeing it in corporate life time and time again. It's demoralizing and creates apathy toward success. They're playing FOR each other though... right coach? That team sure did play for Kinkaid in the first. They sure did play for the coach in the 3rd.

Meh - it's not even worth debating any longer this season. Just let it unfold how it will and hope for a few points of light, or black(wood).

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
for 2 periods.........well, i guess you can't pin most of the 1st period goals on him either.... so i guess maybe yes.

He’s been ass cheeks lately, but I don’t think you can hang that first period on him. He really never had a chance to make a difference. But he did prevent his team from getting steamrolled.

Reactions: Bleedred

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Welp, I'm not going to waste any more energy getting angry at the consistent inconsistency anymore. This is not a playoff team. Hynes is coaching this team like he's got the 1995 Detroit Red Wings talent on this roster and he's f***ing Scotty Bowman. Its not even close to that talentwise and he is not that good of a coach.

Hynes is a one trick pony and Shero is on board with his philosophy betting he can assemble the talent necessary to makes Hynes' system "work." I don't think I have ever seen his particular defensive strategy employed anywhere in the NHL and I don't know if Lemaire could get it to work. There are waaayyyy to many moving parts and the NHL game is too fast to adapt to the dynamics of the game. It leaves too many guys wide open and I don't think any goalie can steal enough games to get them far in the playoffs, if they ever get there.

We can sit here and argue whether it's the D's fault or the goalie's fault. We should agree that the system doesn't work. Shero needs to find an assistant coach that is capable to take over the team. I feel that any 10ish game swoon next season must be the end of Hynes. If Hynes is, at the insistence of Shero's gamble, here through the end of the 19-20 season and they miss the playoffs again, Shero needs to GTFO.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Was that really on Hynes though? Hall had a chip on his shoulder (against EDM) the day he walked into this club to prove something. The first year was tough as it was a forgettable season.

I know there was the sitdown summer dinner or lunch, but wasn't that Shero? or was that Hynes?

I think Hynes managed to get the most out of Hall, but Shero was the one who sat down with him.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
This system is so bad you can't even tell how bad the defense is ...players are constantly scrambling in their own zone and often lost...this has been going on since Hynes took for every single defender ... The run around and forwards wait to break out....it is horrible.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
That is not sustainable though.... you can't ask Pro's to run through a wall every night.

it also falls on the player……..some guys just have that drive to win and play the best they can while others just coast and are aloof with the talent they have

and its not something that is teachable i feel….you have or you dont

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012

Onus falls on Rejean to make massive upgrades after the year. By keeping Hynes he’s now taken all accountability. So if we see similar results next campaign he can’t sit here and give the same interview “we’ve had a plan since day one and we’re following said plan and we’re not taking any shortcuts. We’re not signing anybody”. That’ll be five years since the cleaning out of Lou and the old boys. You can’t be bad for a half decade and throw out the same phrases and give the same interview again next year.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
This system is so bad you can't even tell how bad the defense is ...players are constantly scrambling in their own zone and often lost...this has been going on since Hynes took for every single defender ... The run around and forwards wait to break out....it is horrible.

It is. It really is terrible. That plus a terrible defense gets you this season. I'm just not ready to say a good defensive coach suddenly makes us a playoff team. Our defense is still trash.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN

You mean like beer league hockey with everyone flying the zone as soon as they see your D man heading to the corner for the puck? LOL. Backs to the puck! GO.

Reactions: Aethon

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
it also falls on the player……..some guys just have that drive to win and play the best they can while others just coast and are aloof with the talent they have
If you have no structure at all and your entire philosophy is one on one individual battles cracks will eventually show...

When things aren't going well you need to fall back on simple play...and we don't a structure that allows for that.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Onus falls on Rejean to make massive upgrades after the year. By keeping Hynes he’s now taken all accountability. So if we see similar results next campaign he can’t sit here and give the same interview “we’ve had a plan since day one and we’re following said plan and we’re not taking any shortcuts”. That’ll be five years since the cleaning out of Lou and the old boys. You can’t be bad for a half decade and throw out the same phrases and give the same interview again next year.

Shero won't fix it. I have zero faith in him this off season.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Are you really suggesting that you want the line of Hall, Jacha and MoJo? Have you really watch the Devils games or do you enjoy only posting?
Again with the lack of respect from you after you were PREACHING and demanding respect on here. You are a hypocrite. I am a 10 year season ticket holder for this team and have been to over 500 Devil games in my lifetime. I was there tonight and I rarely miss any games but when I do I watch the replays at 12 1 2 am, whenever they air it. After a big home win I go home AND watch the replay of it. And yes, I do like to post on here, I wish I had more time to do so. Been on here for 7 years and only average around 4 posts a day. What a pathetic jab by you. Swing and a miss.

We have three goddamnn centers on this team. Zacha has been fine lately and he has been forced to play with scrubs. Zajac runs a checking line. Hischier has been driving a line of his own.

If you paid attention TO MY POSTS on here you would see the reason why. There’s nothing to lose. Lets see if Hall can help boost Zachas game. Would you rather have Hall on a checking line or play with Nico where Nico would have to play second fiddle instead of driving his own line?

63 13 21
9 37 90
44 19 20
11 43 18

OMG THE HORROR....get real. That would be the most balanced lineup of the season. This season is toast, no harm to try it.

Last edited:

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey

Yes this is extremely un-Devil like defense. A lot of times on ES, we look like we're on a PK for no particular reason. I know, of course that can happen for brief moments of a game, when the other team really clicking well, but this happens to NJ WAAAY to often.

Sometime in the 3rd period, i think i saw this system (whatever it is) breakdown. Zajac was trying to defensively cover someone in D zone up high..... and as he skated to cover, he abrubtly slowed down, pointed to the D man instead to take the cover, but then, NEITHER did. And the Leaf just took 2 or 3 extra strides into the zone (on far side of camera).

At first you would say, miscommunication, but I think Zajac realized the guy wasn't his man, so he backed away, eventhough in the old system, he would have just continued to zone-cover him because the guy was in his zone of defensive coverage.

Hard to explain, but it happened in 3rd period sometime, but its unintuitive because Zajac was bearing down on a player to zone-coverage, but then just stopped and motioned for the d-man or whomever else to cover. Neither of them covered, and it was a breakdown. Even-strength play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad