GDT: Devils vs Leafs - 80's Night! - 7:00 PM - MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Coleman is the one player who never cheats in a system designed to facilitate cheating. Truthfully, the whole league is gravitating towards "move, move, move" at the expense of doing the so-called little things, as if only guys like Coleman execute at a high level.

One team is going to win the cup in a really definitive fashion by playing an excellent game along the boards and then the whole league will once again realize that you have to accept that 50/50 puck situations are most of where the game is played and you have to make sure that your roster is prepared to win those all the time.

It's a copycat league. Not that long ago everybody was playing "heavy" hockey because Boston and LA were winning. Then Pittsburgh went back to back playing more of a speed game and suddenly it's all about speed.

I think part of our issue is we try to play that kind of game, but still don't have the talent/depth to execute it consistently. We did last year when everybody pulled their weight and we got good enough goaltending and an MVP season from Hall, plus strong performances from the kids. This year pretty much all of that has gone the opposite direction (with the exception of Nico and maybe Bratt who have played well for the most part).

Reactions: Whaddagoal

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
It’s a shame how ugly the majority of our games look because we do have players that are capable and give the right kind of effort typically.

There’s so many things wrong right now that it’s tough to pinpoint what to try and fix first. I really don’t believe we’re as bad as these results make it seem, which leads me to believe it’s the coaching philosophy. Yet I feel we’re lacking in the talent for the coaching philosophy to be successful. I’m at a loss lol.

All I know is f*** Pajama Boy and I hope he stained those f***ing bed sheets.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Pitts had two generational offensive players on the same team..........in their prime. Pretty unique situation. Usually a team only gets half of that or not even generational. If it takes two generational players to win using this system we better try something else.

Didn't they also have a top goalie? hmmm like a 1st overall pick? Plus 1st overall Crosby, plus 2nd overall Malkin. Funny how that equates to a solid foundation.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Didn't they also have a top goalie? hmmm like a 1st overall pick? Plus 1st overall Crosby, plus 2nd overall Malkin. Funny how that equates to a solid foundation.
Plus they played pretty good team defense, which no one seems to talk about. Their actual defense wasn't great, but it was more than made up by the fact that their forwards were responsible defensively and committed to not making lazy and careless plays.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey

Yes, its very strange :) I'd say their setup is very different and we shouldn't right now (organizationally) build a system as if we had 2 generational centers an a good (if not very good) goalie. Build a system that will work with what we have right now. If we land (or one player grows into some top tier player *cough* Nico) adapt as we go. And if in some miracle we can keep Hall here.. then build around that long term.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Plus they played pretty good team defense, which no one seems to talk about. Their actual defense wasn't great, but it was more than made up by the fact that their forwards were responsible defensively and committed to not making lazy and careless plays.

Their defense was also good at moving the puck quickly out of their own end. Half of our defense can't seem to make a simple pass out of the zone. And their forwards provided strong support. As much as everybody focuses on Crosby and Malkin's offense, they're both pretty good in their own end too.

Reactions: Blender

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Heavy hockey isn't coming back any time soon. Where are the players to execute it? Where are the Zubruses and Clowes around the league? It's just not a player type that I see much in the NHL these days, and I don't think these guys are being held in the minors - the game has just changed. I don't really know exactly why that is, but I suspect it has to do with defenseman and the fact that holding players isn't quasi-legal anymore - that rule change happened in the NHL 13 years ago, so it took a hockey generation to weed out this behavior in the lower levels, but it's different now.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Greene isn’t wrong though. The way this team wants to play, everyone has to be buying in and doing what they are supposed to.

If the D is going to get aggressive on the puck carrier then the forward has to be in the right spot in support, etc, etc.

They were much better at supporting each other last year. They are awful at it this year. That is just a pure execution fail on the players, and a coaching fail for not adjusting to that after so long.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Ideally, you want a balance. It's not about heavy hockey - it's that you can't get away from the 50/50 puck situation. Of course, putting together a roster that can understand and execute the balance between a flowing skill game and an un-sexy board battling game is a tough task. (Maybe certain Red Wings teams had a version of this? Maybe Tampa or Washington?) But that's why the coach and his system matters to such a degree. When you don't have the ideal roster yet, you can create a degree of certainty with good habits and consistent structure. For such a habits-centric coach, the team looks downright unprofessional right now and I have a hard time attributing it to just the roster (which for sure needs some improvement).

What are the things I like about the team since Hynes took over? Speed and skill are there to be used. But there is a reason "letting the game come to you" is such a cliche. What you want to see from any teacher is an increased understanding of the game itself - this is how high risk plays become certainties instead of a coin flip that you accept is part of a more "creative" and "skill-oriented " system.

Everything about what Hynes has them doing is about manufacturing things that just aren't there. Passes, shots, breakouts - these seemingly all require absurd efforts within his system.

A side-rant because it's late and I'm high: the truth is the most creative and effective players in the recent history of the game - Thornton, Datsyuk, Crosby, Kane - simply take what's there (to use another cliche). They don't make something happen, they just observe what's a possibility better than others. That's the essence of their talent and it's the essence of the game.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
This is maybe the biggest strike against Hynes. Sure when they play his system correctly they can look like world beaters. We saw that in how the started the season.

We also see how you are going to get too many nights where guys don’t have that effort. On top of that it has shown to be easily countered on the road.

Hynes has no answer for these games where things aren’t working. We can’t just keep punting those games where we struggle or road games where last change seems to mess the whole system up.

He HAS to learn how to properly adjust. It’s on of our biggest problems. Up there with shit goaltending and a shit power play.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
This is maybe the biggest strike against Hynes. Sure when they play his system correctly they can look like world beaters. We saw that in how the started the season.

We also see how you are going to get too many nights where guys don’t have that effort. On top of that it has shown to be easily countered on the road.

Hynes has no answer for these games where things aren’t working. We can’t just keep punting those games where we struggle or road games where last change seems to mess the whole system up.

He HAS to learn how to properly adjust. It’s on of our biggest problems. Up there with **** goaltending and a **** power play.

Well said. Its very Jekyl and Hyde team, very good to very poor (and not very visible in-game adjustments to game scenarios)

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Heavy hockey isn't coming back any time soon. Where are the players to execute it? Where are the Zubruses and Clowes around the league? It's just not a player type that I see much in the NHL these days, and I don't think these guys are being held in the minors - the game has just changed. I don't really know exactly why that is, but I suspect it has to do with defenseman and the fact that holding players isn't quasi-legal anymore - that rule change happened in the NHL 13 years ago, so it took a hockey generation to weed out this behavior in the lower levels, but it's different now.

Less hitting. Less physicality is one of the reasons to your thoughts to why the game has changed. Whether thats good or bad, I'm just saying that seems to have drastically changed the coaching strategies as of very recent.

Take tonight's game in 3rd period, I saw a situation with a Tor guy spinning with the puck in the center ice, two guys on NJ didn't even think about hitting him down, they just tried to poach the puck from him. Not long ago, he would have been hit (not even hit hard, but hit), puck would have seperated from him, and the play would either break up or transition back. The Tor player actually got out safe and made a play into the offensive zone after that ,or at least dumped the puck into the zone after that.

Bratt was one culprit who circled around him trying to get puck, and i forget who the other NJ player was. I was thinking. Just hit the guy he's dancing in the center circle with the puck at his stic (looking down trying to steeer out of trouble)

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
This team has been very good for maybe a dozen periods this season.its been 5% Jekyll 95% Hyde or whatever. We’ve had more bad no compete games in half a season than all of last year.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Less hitting. Less physicality is one of the reasons to your thoughts to why the game has changed. Whether thats good or bad, I'm just saying that seems to have drastically changed the coaching strategies as of very recent.

Take tonight's game in 3rd period, I saw a situation with a Tor guy spinning with the puck in the center ice, two guys on NJ didn't even think about hitting him down, they just tried to poach the puck from him. Not long ago, he would have been hit (not even hit hard, but hit), puck would have seperated from him, and the play would either break up or transition back. The Tor player actually got out safe and made a play into the offensive zone after that ,or at least dumped the puck into the zone after that.

Bratt was one culprit who circled around him trying to get puck, and i forget who the other NJ player was. I was thinking. Just hit the guy he's dancing in the center circle with the puck at his stic (looking down trying to steeer out of trouble)

Puck fishing - a signature under Hynes. They don't play the body, they try to pickpocket. It's like he thinks that leads to fewer penalties for interference but it creates more for hooking, high sticking, and slashing with all the stickwork.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Puck fishing - a signature under Hynes. They don't play the body, they try to pickpocket. It's like he thinks that leads to fewer penalties for interference but it creates more for hooking, high sticking, and slashing with all the stickwork.

I just thought its cause we have a small-ish team (or a team that certainly plays small most times -- with some exceptions recently)... but it could be coaching as well, didn't think of that... :)

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It’s that A-game B-game shit. It’s actually true, but they should have figured out how to squeak wins out when they only have their B-game.

That falls on everyone’s shoulders. Players need to look in the mirror, but Hynes needs to take a long look at tape and figure out ha alternative plan.

It’s not something that is going to be figured out midseason though. It is going to be his offseason homework.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
After watching the Leafs lock down yesterday's win, I checked respective records for leading after two and the Leafs are a perfect 21-0-0. The Devils are middle of the road down at 13-0-3 which is, honestly, a little better than I expected, but still only good enough for 18th in the league as far as point% goes in that situation.

More staggering is the fact than NJD has the league worst record when trailing after the first period at 1-13-2 for a % of .063 :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad