GDT: Devils vs Leafs - 80's Night! - 7:00 PM - MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It's either too damn complicated, or just completely wrong. Whatever they're thinking coaching wise is failing miserally on the ice. I'm not even sure it would work even with a more skilled team. As soon as the man coverage fails because the opponent does something unpredictable, one of our players is missing their mark, and you see it often with these wide open goals or backdoor wide open passes for goals we've been witnessing all season long.

I've rarely ever seen defensemen opt to skate up high ring following a player in the defensive zone coverage on ES until this season. Yes 4v4 and other man on man "standard coaching regimes"... For ES, usually the D man will peel off his pursuit and the defending fwd who is responsibly there will pickup/resume the high-pressure..

I've seen this now 2 or 3 times in 3 games. Its the same player, so maybe its Vatanen thinking too much of himself, but i doubt an NHL defensmen of generally his caliber will be going higher than the fwd's on a defensive pressure play at his own accord.
John Moore was doing the same thing while he was here... I remember games where he followed forwards from the corner all the way up to the blueline and across the ice.

It inevitably leads to breakdowns or stranding his partner in a 2 on 1 situation where the other defender has no idea who to pick up front of the net.

Greene has done this a few times as well, Moore did it and Schlemko did it ..it has to be being coached.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
John Moore was doing the same thing while he was here... I remember games where he followed forwards from the corner all the way up to the blueline and across the ice.

It inevitably leads to breakdowns or stranding his partner in a 2 on 1 situation where the other defender has no idea who to pick up front of the net.

Greene has done this a few times as well, Moore did it and Schlemko did it ..it has to be being coached.
Coached, no doubt.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

if its coached then they need to coach someone to cover that vacated position and rotate positions in the zone with all the players in such play

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey

I should say recently, i've seen the same player do it, but you're right too.

I was specifically noticing a lot recently because of a lot of the gripes on Vatanen's play across this season, thus I was focusing on his play more recently. You probably know from my posts that I'm more high on Vatanen than others, but i wanted to see without the Rose-tinted glasses bias.

Then these last few games he was way up high, like "WTF you doing"

Moore was an exceptional skater (and bigger wingspan) so maybe he was more effective when he had to play that way.

Anyway, we both agree on its coached and its a huge problem.

Reactions: Aethon

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
if its coached then they need to coach someone to cover that vacated position and rotate positions in the zone with all the players in such play

I think the players arre trying, but when there is an unpredictable turnover, or bounce, someone gets lost in dzone and they freeze up and one guy makes a mistake then its all over, someone on the other team is free alone.

The system may work sometimes, but just Hynes and company refuses to adapt (or at least from the TV it looks like they don't f***ing try to adapt it when you are in a tight, important time in the game.... like just regained the lead, or tie game, You'll go out and do some shitty complicated mess instead of playing simple for 5-7 mins sustaining the lead, gaining your confidence at holding leads.

Okay i'm done with my system's rant for tonight. I'm sure we'll see the same on Saturday (ill be there).

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hynes didn't seem a tad bit mad about losing tonight
His presser was brutal. More silver linings and moral victories than your average DeBoer presser when we'd outshoot someone 35-23 and lose because ''tough building''.

You would think we lost this game 2-1 while outplaying them. And then a bunch about how we only had 3 shots in the 3rd period and faceoffs were really a problem that period and it's hard to battle back from 3 goals down. We were f***in down by one goal heading into the 3rd and we played the 3rd period like we were the team trailing by one goal. That was the worst period we've played this year while down by one goal. Certainly the worst 3rd period we've played while trailing by just one.

''A few breakdowns and missed coverages in the 1st. We settled down and battled back''. Come on man.

This was as bad as the Buffalo game. I watched the exact same game tonight as I did on Tuesday, only without the soft goals, thus the closer score.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
His presser was brutal. More silver linings and moral victories than your average DeBoer presser when we'd outshoot someone 35-23 and lose because ''tough building''.

You would think we lost this game 2-1 while outplaying them.

''A few breakdowns and missed coverages in the 1st. We settled down and battled back''. Come on man.

This was as bad as the Buffalo game. I watched the exact same game tonight as I did on Tuesday, only without the soft goals, thus the closer score.

Did you hear Dano and Cangi say "They're tired of Moral victories" in the 3rd period tonight, as part of their fan optimism? Haha.

Is that also a dig......:)

He's sitting comfortably right now. I can't see him being fired this season with that extension, unless some real bad shit goes down...

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Yeah the whole high risk/high reward dogma being coached is not adjusting for the fact that the high risk end of things has been kicking us in the stones with alarming regularity.

There are times to regroup/simplify and it's just never happening. Even when we manage a multi-goal lead, all the habitual high risk plays in our own end geared toward transition end up with a puck in the back of our net all too often. The unforced turnovers are a great example. It's like they play the same whether free-wheeling with a lead or playing catch up and early leads are blown before you know it.

Hynes and his staff simply do not adapt or adjust. Neither in-game, nor game-to-game. The team has one way to play 5v5 and when that isn't clicking almost every game was lost by the 1st or 2nd intermission. When they did manage to claw back into forcing overtime they lost almost all of them in embarrassing fashion.

Except for our pk, our 'system' at evens just looks like out of sync scrambling by the seat of their pants in all three zones half the time and it's tiring on the team too as this shit show drags on. The only positive there is at least we aren't taking a thousand penalties a game like earlier in the season where they ran themselves into the ground on perpetual kills.

And the power play...I can't even

I think our pk success has more to do with some personnel that excel with executing in that situation...Zajac/Coleman/Zacha/Greene/Lovejoy. I guess coaching gets SOME credit here but the staff is lucky to have this group on the kill. If not, it would likely be as bad as everything else.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Did you hear Dano and Cangi say "They're tired of Moral victories" in the 3rd period tonight, as part of their fan optimism? Haha.

Is that also a dig......:)

He's sitting comfortably right now. I can't see him being fired this season with that extension, unless some real bad **** goes down...
I don't expect him fired, but this is really a loss where you can particularly question him, his system and rip him. And his stupid f***in asswipe assistant, drawing up plays 10 minutes prior that amount to shit all.

The only thing I will say in regards to the idea that we wouldn't have more wins with better goaltending this year, is that it seems when we get good goaltending, we wind up getting outshot, outplayed badly, worse than most teams when they have a lead. And when goaltending sinks us, we usually attack and rack up a large shot surplus. It's just that more often than not this year, the bad goaltending sinks us and teams stop attacking after so long. I realize this is common with score effects, but it's like on steroids with this team.

Reactions: Cult of Hynes

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Coleman only played 14 minutes?

Makes sense since the Devils only played well for about 14 minutes. Pretty much everyone other than Palm, Coleman and Kinkaid can **** off after tonight's game. Seney was okay but had a Beau Bennett-like knack of not producing despite making things happen.

If it was possible to actually play worse down a goal in the third period I can't even fathom it. To have that horrible a third period down a goal was mind boggling.

Reactions: Bleedred

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I don't expect him fired, but this is really a loss where you can particularly question him, his system and rip him. And his stupid ****in asswipe assistant, drawing up plays 10 minutes prior that amount to **** all.

The only thing I will say in regards to the idea that we wouldn't have more wins with better goaltending this year, is that it seems when we get good goaltending, we wind up getting outshot, outplayed badly, worse than most teams when they have a lead. And when goaltending sinks us, we usually attack and rack up a large shot surplus. It's just that more often than not this year, the bad goaltending sinks us and teams stop attacking after so long. I realize this is common with score effects, but it's like on steroids with this team.

Better goaltending would have us at a bubble more. Though.

Its when I long for old Devils hockey. Honestly, even without going that far back, I still miss even the PDB swarm defense / 2-3 man in offensive heavybody zone forecheck. For whatever we didn't like about PDB, that system really messed up other teams, particuarly Flyers....

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I hope Hynes thinks it was a problem that we were badly outshot this game, especially in the 3rd period where we were trailing by just one goal. This brings me back to his ''We look more at where the shots are coming from and the quality rather than the quantity'' after one of these games in 2016-2017, where Kinkaid played really good and we were smoked in shots and possession by Pittsburgh, I think it was.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Yeah no ****

There IS no structure, that's the damn problem. Other than on the PK I suppose. Like someone pointed out in the pregame do they actually practice/talk about defensive concepts or is it all about possession, attack and speed?

Better goaltending would have us at a bubble more. Though.

Its when I long for old Devils hockey. Honestly, even without going that far back, I still miss even the PDB swarm defense / 2-3 man in offensive heavybody zone forecheck. For whatever we didn't like about PDB, that system was really messed up other teams, particuarly Flyers....

Well this was KK's best game in like a month if not the whole season (other than whatever the hell he was doing trying to play the puck fifty yards away in the first and getting away with it somehow) but it doesn't help the goalies' confidence when even games like this or Blackwood's in Dallas lead to nothing.

Reactions: JK3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad