GDT: Devils vs Leafs - 80's Night! - 7:00 PM - MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Yeah no ****

Maybe this will become the new generic interview after a bad loss, like the ''I have to be better. I didn't give my teammates a chance'' quote game after game, now that Cory hasn't been around.

Reactions: JK3

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
His presser was brutal. More silver linings and moral victories than your average DeBoer presser when we'd outshoot someone 35-23 and lose because ''tough building''.

You would think we lost this game 2-1 while outplaying them. And then a bunch about how we only had 3 shots in the 3rd period and faceoffs were really a problem that period and it's hard to battle back from 3 goals down. We were ****in down by one goal heading into the 3rd and we played the 3rd period like we were the team trailing by one goal. That was the worst period we've played this year while down by one goal. Certainly the worst 3rd period we've played while trailing by just one.

''A few breakdowns and missed coverages in the 1st. We settled down and battled back''. Come on man.

This was as bad as the Buffalo game. I watched the exact same game tonight as I did on Tuesday, only without the soft goals, thus the closer score.

lol this game was far worse than the score...but hey they showed effort for about 12-15 minutes in the second down three goals, let's have a party!

Honestly if this game ended after the second period I'd have been okay with the moral victory **** but the third period really ruined that argument.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
There IS no structure, that's the damn problem. Other than on the PK I suppose. Like someone pointed out in the pregame do they actually practice/talk about defensive concepts or is it all about possession, attack and speed?

Well this was KK's best game in like a month if not the whole season (other than whatever the hell he was doing trying to play the puck fifty yards away in the first and getting away with it somehow) but it doesn't help the goalies' confidence when even games like this or Blackwood's in Dallas lead to nothing.

That Dallas game really bummed me out, and the Vegas one. As a fan some of the most frustrating of the season.

He was good at least... i think KK had a better one earlier in the season, although now its blurring for me. Maybe it was last season...

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The predictable slow PP and the man on man D coverage is poor coaching
17c071fad1858886543d165c20ce351e.200.jpg

By the way, this picture looks like it was taken while he was in the sitting position. Probably sitting on the bowl thinking of some nothing play to draw up.

It's not even that this guy is a bad power play coach, he's just a bad coach period. I said it while watching Albany during the lockout, Which I do realize was still a roster lacking talent, even by AHL standards and featured no current NHL players, outside of Keith Kinkaid. Aside from Adam Larsson who was there for the lockout and Henrique, who got injured pretty early on in the AHL season and was out until a week or two after the NHL season started.

I cringed every time his name came up on here as a possible DeBoer replacement. I think he was even a potential Hynes replacement (on here, not in real life) when we wanted him fired 2 years ago.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
With Hall and MarJo out the team is way too reliant on two kids who aren’t old enough to drink. I think they are both showing signs of the strain.

But you have to admit, Coleman is playing a hellavagame right now. He could be the most effective/consistent player on the ice for the last 10 games (if you don't consider Blackwood).

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
lol this game was far worse than the score...but hey they showed effort for about 12-15 minutes in the second down three goals, let's have a party!

Honestly if this game ended after the second period I'd have been okay with the moral victory **** but the third period really ruined that argument.
There are some games that goaltending skews the score negatively, but goaltending flattered the final score for us tonight.

We played that 3rd period like we were the team up 3-2. It was pathetic. I was cringing at his presser. He talked like we lost the game 2-1 while outplaying the other team and had a hard luck loss in a tough building.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
There are some games that goaltending skews the score negatively, but goaltending flattered the final score for us tonight.

We played that 3rd period like we were the team up 3-2. It was pathetic. I was cringing at his presser. He talked like we lost the game 2-1 while outplaying the other team and had a hard luck loss in a tough building.

If Pete were still here he might have actually slipped and talked about a tough building tonight, especially after the way they were booed off (deservedly so) in the first period.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
But you have to admit, Coleman is playing a hellavagame right now. He could be the most effective/consistent player on the ice for the last 10 games (if you don't consider Blackwood).

He's gone from "bottom-6" to "middle-6" in my book, for sure. His developing offensive upside makes him a really dynamic, energizing player.

He and Wood should switch contracts. It's only fair.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

I agree. He is really a tough effective player. He hasn’t given up despite the tenor of the season. I still enjoy watching Nico Bratt Palms and Coleman and recently MBW as well. The team still has a bright future and the current misery is just a speed bump.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If Pete were still here he might have actually slipped and talked about a tough building tonight, especially after the way they were booed off (deservedly so) in the first period.
This is the kind of loss that maybe a few years or more ago, the coach comes out and looks depressed and about to cry in his post game presser and says ''I'm not gonna throw our guys under the bus. We're missing some key guys tonight (Hall and Johansson) and I thought we battled our asses off. Our goalie played excellent, but we couldn't find a way to win the game'' and then he's gone and you have the N. Bench in there for Saturday afternoon's tilt.

Stop me if you've heard that one before. Now someone's probably gonna say ''But Bleed, you've said that about 10 different times this year'' and that's probably because we've had 10 different games like that this year. And it's really a lot more noticeable in games where the goalie actually plays good.

By the way, what I wrote was almost verbatim Pete's presser from his Devils coaching finale. There was once a time where I even remembered Larry's final presser back in 2002 before he got fired, but that escapes me now.:laugh:

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
I despise Hynes as a coach, and any good Shero did when he came here is overshadowed by his asinine move to extend this f***ing pud from Warwick RI.

Reactions: MichaelJ

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
This is the kind of loss that maybe a few years or more ago, the coach comes out and looks depressed and about to cry in his post game presser and says ''I'm not gonna throw our guys under the bus. We're missing some key guys tonight (Hall and Johansson) and I thought we battled our asses off. Our goalie played excellent, but we couldn't find a way to win the game'' and then he's gone and you have the N. Bench in there for Saturday afternoon's tilt.

Stop me if you've heard that one before. Now someone's probably gonna say ''But Bleed, you've said that about 10 different times this year'' and that's probably because we've had 10 different games like that this year. And it's really a lot more noticeable in games where the goalie actually plays good.

By the way, what I wrote was almost verbatim Pete's presser from his Devils coaching finale. There was once a time where I even remembered Larry's final presser back in 2002 before he got fired, but that escapes me now.:laugh:
I’m too young to remember it. Mostly because I was living in Denver, Colorado and my only options for hockey were whatever ESPN or the deuce felt like showing you back then. The Blackhawks were a team that intrigued me during that era with JR, Chelios and Crazy Eddie. But the story about John Cunniff was one of my favorites. He apparently gave a fiery presser ripping the team and then trashed his office and walked out of the building. Lou fired him and brought Tom McVie in that next day. It would be entertaining if Hynes did that and trashed his office afterward.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I’m too young to remember it. Mostly because I was living in Denver, Colorado and my only options for hockey were whatever ESPN or the deuce felt like showing you back then. The Blackhawks were a team that intrigued me during that era with JR, Chelios and Crazy Eddie. But the story about John Cunniff was one of my favorites. He apparently gave a fiery presser ripping the team and then trashed his office and walked out of the building. Lou fired him and brought Tom McVie in that next day. It would be entertaining if Hynes did that and trashed his office afterward.

I didn’t remember that although I recall Cuniff as the coach.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I didn’t remember that although I recall Cuniff as the coach.
I'm sure I watched it, but I don't remember his presser.

I remember reading about in the paper that he trashed his office or something like that. I don't know if he knocked his desk over or what. Back then, without the internet, your only source for the Devils or most any sports happenings were either the newspaper or in-game broadcasts and pre/post game shows. I don't even remember if SportsChannel had pre and post game shows back then. I bet they didn't. It was almost like pulling a hit on someone just to get them to show Devils games back then. I bet if there was an aired presser back then and the team was more relevant, that probably would have been a classic.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I despise Hynes as a coach, and any good Shero did when he came here is overshadowed by his asinine move to extend this ****ing pud from Warwick RI.

I could never tell!!

His system is failing. That's bothersome, and also I'm more bothered by his lack of adaption to "coach to WIN"... now its "FAST ALWYAS, IRREGARDLESS OF SITUATION" (even if players can't think it through anymore).

Funny memory... i was thinking post buffalo loss.

I used to follow Atlanta heavily as a 2nd favorite team back when I was in college (or almost out of it). I'd watch as many games as i could. The losses that are piling up here, look very reminiscent to the way Hartley had coached Thrashers in his earlier-mid tenure there.

They were always bandwagon (edit: FIREWAGON) FAST, ATTACK hockey, but it frequently lost out to the better defensive teams usually. They could swing a 3-4 goal deficit some games, and more often than you might think, but still lose in the end to a defensive mistake or miscue...... failed almost comebacks were common. Blown leads were very common.

This is a team that had Kovy and Hossa (post-Heatley), Savard who was fantastic passer, had some early offensive gem in Enstrom IIRC (or maybe he came in a little later) and they couldn't make it happen. Their goaltending situation was pretty bad like ours right now, their main guy had some injury he never really got better from (Pasi Nurminen and Lehtonnen just came in)

Kinda like how bad our goaltending was, they went to ECHL from injuries, as well one season real bad.

I find the parallel's a bit ironic, now that NJD is playing a game that looks like ATL back in 2003-2004.... the NJD system is more complicated, but the premise is the same, and its still failing.

Anyway, parallels are there, sad :(

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
He's gone from "bottom-6" to "middle-6" in my book, for sure. His developing offensive upside makes him a really dynamic, energizing player.

He and Wood should switch contracts. It's only fair.

This is why I was astounded that people thought Wood should have been holding out for $3 million instead of $2 million. How could you give someone like Wood $3 million after signing Coleman to such a team-friendly contract? I honestly thought Coleman was the better all-around player LAST year or at least was close, Wood had a few more goals but didn't provide the PK worke Coleman does.

Reactions: Hypernova

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Since it's 80's night and we're talking John Cunniff, here's an article on the firing of Cunniff, although it's 1991.

Following the game, Cunniff criticized his players for their inconsistency, then cut short his postgame meeting with reporters. After leaving the interview room, the coach went back to the locker room, which was quiet as a cemetery, and lashed out at his players. He yelled and screamed profanities and punched and dented a metal door before storming out of the building through the trainer's room.

PRO HOCKEY; Devils Dismiss Cunniff and Bring Back McVie

I have read or heard somewhere that he did trash the office, but all this says is that he punched and dented a metal door. I doubt trashing the office really got him fired though.:laugh:

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Coleman is the one player who never cheats in a system designed to facilitate cheating. Truthfully, the whole league is gravitating towards "move, move, move" at the expense of doing the so-called little things, as if only guys like Coleman execute at a high level.

One team is going to win the cup in a really definitive fashion by playing an excellent game along the boards and then the whole league will once again realize that you have to accept that 50/50 puck situations are most of where the game is played and you have to make sure that your roster is prepared to win those all the time.

Last edited:

Bramskii

Jul 23, 2007
Toronto
We were waiting for some kind of response from Shero to this whole mess, and he hits us with a Hynes extension. Probably the biggest slap in the face to the fans.. How much does he really care about improving this team?

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Coleman is the one player who never cheats in a system designed to facilitate cheating. Truthfully, the whole league is gravitating towards "move, move, move" at the expense of doing the so-called "little things," as if only guys like Coleman can do that stuff.

One team is going to win the cup in a really definitive fashion by playing an excellent game along the boards and then the whole league will once again realize that you have to accept that 50/50 puck situations are most of where the game is played and you have to make sure that your roster is prepared to win those all the time.

Zajac too.

To your observations: Part of it is it some coaching strategy "goes hot" and then everyone is doing it, which is what we're seeing here. Like a pendulum, it will swing back and someone will start playing a strong defensive, "little things matter" system again and everyone else who won't be playing it will get shut down (like how we got shutdown in 3rd tonight).

I think PDB exposed that situation slightly when he was here during that cup run. He came in with a system most other teams weren't playing and no one had thought how to stop it regularly (particuarly that really heavy 3 man in forecheck in ozone. Lemaire did it too essentially with the system he instilled here. It worked, pissed a lot of teams off, but then they started doing similar thing (at least, maybe not as an idenity, but in more game situational they started locking it down always).

We're stuck in a trying to be like everyone else right now, and we don't have the guns for it, and even if we did, not sure it wins out over solid, structured defensive play..

Reactions: Oneiro

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Zajac too.

To your observations: Part of it is it some coaching strategy "goes hot" and then everyone is doing it, which is what we're seeing here. Like a pendulum, it will swing back and someone will start playing a strong defensive, "little things matter" system again and everyone else who won't be playing it will get shut down (like how we got shutdown in 3rd tonight).
to

I think PDB exposed that situation slightly when he was here during that cup run. He came in with a system most other teams weren't playing and no one had thought how to stop it regularly (particuarly that really heavy 3 man in forecheck in ozone. Lemaire did it too essentially with the system he instilled here. It worked, pissed a lot of teams off, but then they started doing similar thing (at least, in more situational games they started locking it down always).

We're stuck in a trying to be like everyone else right now, and we don't have the guns for it, and even if we did, not sure it wins out over solid, structured defensive play..

Pittsburgh won two cups with it, one of them over a solid defensive team.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Pittsburgh won two cups with it, one of them over a solid defensive team.

Pitts had two generational offensive players on the same team..........in their prime. Pretty unique situation. Usually a team only gets half of that or not even generational. If it takes two generational players to win using this system we better try something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad