GDT: Devils @ Senators - 1:00 PM - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
To the NHL this is a sneaky good play by a wiley veteran. Weekes even alluded to the play as such, as did the crew at intermission.

Yeah, I hate that shit. Totally different kind of situation, but they coo and fawn when a goalie deliberately knocks the goal off it's pegs too. "Smart move by a savvy veteran" f*** you, just call it what it is, cheating.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
View attachment 610167
6c5.gif
Jpi9CvA.gif

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I thought maybe this was RangerDoggo, but this is actually one of the most Devils Dominion posts I've seen since the real Devils Dominion was last seen.

The idea that guys don't get up to play in Newark like they do on Broadway is some weird ''Pete lets his guys slack off and no-show against Philthy/Rags/NYb, as long as they'll come ready to play and beat us in Newark the next game, because Pete will have them ready to play and Pete just refuses to lose to the NJD'' type of stuff.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

Oh god, I just checked their thread and the same page that has this post also has someone wondering what the big deal was with Kyle Beach and was it really so bad what the Blackhawks did?

Classy bunch over there.

(okay yes, there were some people pushing back on that poster)

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Schmid's nice start to this year really doesn't mean he's great, as we saw Blackwood have like 2 shutouts in his first 4 or 5 starts (or it was something like that?) in the NHL. We also saw Keith Kinkaid have his hot streaks.

But his AHL play is much stronger than anything Blackwood (or Kinkaid) ever did in the AHL, as is Daws AHL career to date.

And Vanecek's play this year should really put to bed any goalie questions.

The organization still believes in Blackwood because of a run he had like the one Vanecek is currently on since his second game of the season. Granted, Blackwood's run of play like that probably went on for 25 games, but that was just about 3 years ago.

You don't have to be a particularly good goalie to be better or even ''As good'' as Blackwood is in 2022.

Reactions: My3Sons and glenwo2

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Yeah and it shouldn’t happen all the time. Brings absolutely nothing to the game.

And if you want it to not happen all the time, it’s got to be called
Don’t have a problem with that. It was in response to someone saying they haven’t seen anything that bad

Not like this it doesn’t happen all the time in my memory. It’s not a natural follow through of a play; not in the flow of the action; the prior sequence is over; time passes; Watson takes several strides to get to him and hits him when he’s alone in the center of the ice and has got his back turned and has his attention elsewhere. And he does hurt him by taking a shot that can reasonably be expected to injure someone. He picks that spot in the kidney and ribs intentionally. Compare it to Kucherov elbowing Vatanen on the fly. At least Vatanen could have ducked. Had some way to see what was happening and defend himself.

This is in my view a particularly egregious and distorted example of the stuff that “happens all the time” and that’s why I think it deserves suspension.

Like Marchand attacking that goalie with his stick last year. That got him suspended. But at least the goalie could see it coming.
Crosschecks away from the play like that happen every single game man. Such a homer overreaction. It was a stinger but Nico’s fine. That’s all it is 99% of the time. It wasn’t that hard and he wasn’t taking a run up to it like you’re suggesting.
You’d like those to get called but they rarely do and they certainly never result in suspensions. They also don’t lead to serious injuries. Just bumps and bruises.

I promise that once we get to playoffs that’s gonna be happening almost every shift.

Reactions: swiiscompos

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
The organization still believes in Blackwood because of a run he had like the one Vanecek is currently on since his second game of the season. Granted, Blackwood's run of play like that probably went on for 25 games, but that was just about 3 years ago.

This makes me believe he has some trade value in the league. There's always a desperate GM that's willing to take a gamble on a past hot streak. We see it over and over. The problem is even good goaltenders don't go for all that much, but it gives me hope that Blackwood isn't an un-dumpable cap anchor.

As for Schmid, I love how he's playing, but it's an AWFULLY small sample right now. It certainly gives me hope though.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah, I hate that shit. Totally different kind of situation, but they coo and fawn when a goalie deliberately knocks the goal off it's pegs too. "Smart move by a savvy veteran" f*** you, just call it what it is, cheating.
Well at least the latter isn’t trying to injure anyone gratuitously

Reactions: MasterofGrond

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This makes me believe he has some trade value in the league. There's always a desperate GM that's willing to take a gamble on a past hot streak. We see it over and over. The problem is even good goaltenders don't go for all that much, but it gives me hope that Blackwood isn't an un-dumpable cap anchor.

As for Schmid, I love how he's playing, but it's an AWFULLY small sample right now. It certainly gives me hope though.
I don't think he has value at all

BUT

Because of his past hot streak and the fact that he's still kind of young, on top of the fact that all these old, junk, has-been goalies like Anderson, Elliott, Jones, etc, all still get signed, I think someone will sign him after this year if we don't. Just like Samsonov with Toronto.

I think if he were waived somebody would bite, as he's on an expiring contract. I think if teams have it on good faith that we will not be re-signing him and they really want him, they'll just wait for him to become a UFA next summer and sign him for $1.5 or something, rather than have to qualify him at $3 million for next year.

Reactions: Nubmer6

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
@billingtons ghost , your thoughts? :sarcasm:

I mean seriously, Akira is fast making Blackwood expendable here (if Blackwood isn't already).
I thought Akira had a good game. Looked shaky as hell on the one goal - playing the pass instead of the shot because he doesn't trust our defense... which is pretty much par for all of our goaltenders who had previously seen our defense the past five years or so.

I know folks are worried about Wood at $4.5 or Blackwood at $3.5 but I think the only one we need to worry about is Damon Severson at anything above Marino's contract.

Remember when we thought he was good defensively and his lifetime -131 was actually just a victim of being on a bad team? He's actually a -1 this year on this frigging juggernaut where Siegs is +15 playing against top lines. With three points.

Giving Severson $5m+ might be a worse move than Wood or Blackwood.

and yeah, I completely agree with the sentiment that if Schmid continues to play well there isn't any reason in the world we should sign Blackwood at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad