GDT: Devils @ Senators - 1:00 PM - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I agree, but I think we're going to need another RHD next year. I'm not willing to gamble on Nemic being ready, and the only viable replacement in case of injury is Smith.
There isn’t a whole lot in FA, but Fitz has been a magic man with the defense, so I’ll trust he has a plan.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
The NHL should really suspend the idiots who hit and injure players who have nothing to do with the current play.

The hit was three seconds after Nico had anything to do with the puck!

The NHL should be WAY harder on suspensions in general. Tkachuk only getting 2 for what he did to Quick and then Anderson and Slafkovsky only getting 2 games for their egregious boardings were all awful rulings.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lmao does anyone remember last season when he was acting like Mercer was better than them and it was gonna be obvious. Might’ve been when Hughes was coming back from injury.

Love Mercer but come on
Around the same time I remember Langenbrunner was a better player than Hischier too. Among some other questionable names that escape me. Maybe Madden? I f***ing hope not. Let's just hope I'm imagining that name.

I like Madden, but a lot of the old school fans overrate him cause he played on cup teams and was a ''Shutdown'' center. Zajac was considerably better, as was Devils Holik.

Madden was also no longer a good ''Shutdown'' center by 07-08 or probably even 06-07. Maddolfo were getting torched by top lines by 2007, maybe even 2006. Madden did have that sweet 20 goal season in 07-08, but he was merely a poor man's Zajac. Zajac's number would be retired here if he won those two cups.

I definitely remember Langenbrunner and maybe even Gionta supposedly being better than Nico. Gionta was just making his NHL debut when he was the age Nico was last season.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Around the same time I remember Langenbrunner was a better player than Hischier too. Among some other questionable names that escape me. Maybe Madden? I f***ing hope not. Let's just hope I'm imagining that name.

I like Madden, but a lot of the old school fans overrate him cause he played on cup teams and was a ''Shutdown'' center. Zajac was considerably better, as was Devils Holik.

Madden was also no longer a good ''Shutdown'' center by 07-08 or probably even 06-07. Maddolfo were getting torched by top lines by 2007, maybe even 2006. Madden did have that sweet 20 goal season in 07-08, but he was merely a poor man's Zajac. Zajac's number would be retired here if he won those two cups.

I definitely remember Langenbrunner and maybe even Gionta supposedly being better than Nico. Gionta was just making his NHL debut when he was the age Nico was last season.

ehh, '03 Madden was exceptional, I think he did legitimately build that shutdown center rep, even if he couldn't maintain it later in his career.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The NHL should be WAY harder on suspensions in general. Tkachuk only getting 2 for what he did to Quick and then Anderson and Slafkovsky only getting 2 games for their egregiously boardings were all awful rulings.
This is unfortunately how the NHL wants it though. That's why the league booted Shanahan, the only one ever to do a semi-competent job. Now DOPS is run by a complete neanderthal in Parros, just how the NHL likes.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
ehh, '03 Madden was exceptional, I think he did legitimately build that shutdown center rep, even if he couldn't maintain it later in his career.
You're right.

03 he was great. He did replace Holik for a couple years there, but it didn't last much longer after the lockout.

John Madden was also a lot older than he seemed, as he was 26 in his rookie year. He was only 2 years younger than Holik was.

So it wasn't really shocking that he fell off in 06 or 07 at 33 years old. It was kind of easy to forget that he was 33 by that point or even in his 30's at all.

I thought Pandolfo was carried by him. Pandolfo broke down first and I guess Lou's lucky wheel landed on him as he got the extension/gold watch contract while Madden's expired the next year and he walked.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I don't think our PP did shit like this once under Recchi

Not even close. It was slow around the horn then get picked off and give up a SHG more often than anything. These guys are moving in and out of a 1-3-1 going on a rotation and yo-yoing back and forth within their mini zones to pull the PK out of position until there's a nice seam pass or shot. I love the flow and speed of this PP so much it just makes me even more angry that we stuck with that crap for so long last year. Why did they stick with the same BS for so long? The players are almost identical... tells you a lot about the coaching.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Not even close. It was slow around the horn then get picked off and give up a SHG more often than anything. These guys are moving in and out of a 1-3-1 going on a rotation and yo-yoing back and forth within their mini zones to pull the PK out of position until there's a nice seam pass or shot. I love the flow and speed of this PP so much it just makes me even more angry that we stuck with that crap for so long last year. Why did they stick with the same BS for so long? The players are almost identical... tells you a lot about the coaching.

We also actually move the puck to the slot now. Under Recchi I swear it just moved between up top to the flanks. That pass by Bratt to Nico in the slot for a one timer is something we never did. The play Haula scored on where Zetterlund bumped it to Haula at the top of the circle/high slot is something I see used around the league that we never used under Recchi and have done quite a bit this year

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
We also actually move the puck to the slot now. Under Recchi I swear it just moved between up top to the flanks. That pass by Bratt to Nico in the slot for a one timer is something we never did. The play Haula scored on where Zetterlund bumped it to Haula at the top of the circle/high slot is something I see used around the league that we never used under Recchi and have done quite a bit this year
Yep - and not just for the shot - pass into the slot and back out to collapse the top of the box and give the seams even more room. I swear everyone knows where they're going with the puck now before they get it rather than figure out who's open after they have the puck.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Good morning fellow fans!

entertained.gif

Last edited:

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Talk about a cheap shot. That hardly does it Justice. There’s not even a play going on. He just skated up to a player well away from the puck and who has his back turned, and assaults him with his stick.

How does the league not suspend and fine him for this? They can’t let this go. I don’t know what Watson’s prior record is, but this is 10 games or more for me. Premeditated attempt to injure a guy who has his back turned and it’s not in the flow of the play at all or heat of the moment. There’s no place in the game for this.

I can only imagine what the league would do if it was McDavid on the receiving end of this.

Really I am astonished. I’ve been watching hockey a long time and this is about as bad as anything I’ve ever seen. Maybe Brad Marchand has done stuff like this a couple times? They should not let this go.

It was so away from and behind the play I don’t think they saw it.
The Marchand elbow on Johansson was worse and I’m pretty sure he only got 5 games even with his history. NHL discipline is a crapshoot/joke.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Eh 13:31 ATOI is more third line than second line, especially given he plays on the PP. But yes he's shown the celling to someday be more than an elite third-liner and I knew the panic here over him potentially being cut was nonsense, I was annoyed enough he wasn't playing early. Like someone else pointed out the takeoff kinda started when he did finally get back in the lineup.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Eh 13:31 ATOI is more third line than second line, especially given he plays on the PP. But yes he's shown the celling to someday be more than an elite third-liner and I knew the panic here over him potentially being cut was nonsense, I was annoyed enough he wasn't playing early. Like someone else pointed out the takeoff kinda started when he did finally get back in the lineup.
He’s playing with Nico, that isn’t the third line. We only have 3 wings averaging more even strength TOI.

Reactions: Blender
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille