Rumor: Devils making Damon Severson available

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
NJ only has three NHL level defenders right now. They can add a guy like Smith if he is ready but they in general need to add defenders. Apparently at a recent season ticket holder event they suggested they were looking to add two if I’m recalling the reporting correctly. If that is the case I’m not sure that Severson is available for anything short of a lopsided offer at which point it’s not really a worthwhile discussion.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I would argue Nico has show a lot more than Noah at this point in their careers - even if Nico hasn’t been seen as a true 1st overall

I can agree with that, it still doesn’t change how I feel.

I also find it ironic that NJ fans of all people find my proposal outrageous when their team traded Adam Larsson for Taylor Hall. Larsson at the time was just getting to be a top pairing dman, very similarly to Hanifin is now. We would not be dealing Hanifin for anything short of a player like Hischier. And if that deal isn’t out there, Hanifin will remain a Flame because we also have a huge need for him.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
as I mentioned, the only way Severson should be moved is

A) in a package for an upgrade for a true top pairing DMan (unlikely)
B) for a comparable LHD
C) if the Devils somehow land Pietrangelo (unlikely)

that really is it. Trading him for draft picks or something is pointless.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015

I also find it ironic that NJ fans of all people find my proposal outrageous when their team traded Adam Larsson for Taylor Hall. Larsson at the time was just getting to be a top pairing dman, very similarly to Hanifin is now. We would not be dealing Hanifin for anything short of a player like Hischier. And if that deal isn’t out there, Hanifin will remain a Flame because we also have a huge need for him.

Ah yes, Larsson for Hall. The trade everyone thought was fair value and totally normal business.

devils29

Jan 9, 2019

Just stop man. That trade you referenced is still laughed about 5 years later. You aren’t getting a 21 year old 1b center who has improved every year he’s been in the NHL for a 23 year old Dman that hasn’t lived up to his draft potential. It’s just absolutely insane if you think Noah Hanifin and Nico Hischier have similar value

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Just stop man. That trade you referenced is still laughed about 5 years later. You aren’t getting a 21 year old 1b center who has improved every year he’s been in the NHL for a 23 year old Dman that hasn’t lived up to his draft potential. It’s just absolutely insane if you think Noah Hanifin and Nico Hischier have similar value

Stop what? I’m more than fine if the Flames keep Hanifin. Actually the only deal I’d really be okay with that makes sense in the real world is moving him for OEL straight up.

The only piece from the Devils I’d want is Hischier and if that isn’t realistic, I’m happy to keep Hanifin. Hanifin isn’t done developing and let’s not pretend that Hischier has lived up to his potential either.

Defenceman like Hanifin in the past have brought back topline players or players that are on the verge of being such. Nothing I’m saying is outrageous.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
yeah, can we please not reference the Hall-Larsson trade like it was some sort of fair value? Everyone knew then and still knows now how lopsided that trade was. And I was and still am a big Larsson fan.

Reactions: MakoSlade

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Stop what? I’m more than fine if the Flames keep Hanifin. Actually the only deal I’d really be okay with that makes sense in the real world is moving him for OEL straight up.

The only piece from the Devils I’d want is Hischier and if that isn’t realistic, I’m happy to keep Hanifin. Hanifin isn’t done developing and let’s not pretend that Hischier has lived up to his potential either.

Defenceman like Hanifin in the past have brought back topline players or players that are on the verge of being such. Nothing I’m saying is outrageous.

What is it with the assertion that NHL players have unlimited growth potential? Hanifin has been in the leage for five years. He is what he is.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
What is it with the assertion that NHL players have unlimited growth potential? Hanifin has been in the leage for five years. He is what he is.

I honestly don’t know what to say to someone that doesn’t see the correlation with young players and trending in an upwards trajectory. He came in the league at 19, it’s highly unlikely he’s done developing, he developed over the course of this past season. And I never stated he has unlimited growth potential.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Every trade proposal on Hf...

“Player a for player b?”

Fan of opposing team:

“I wouldn’t trade player b for player a. I’d only trade player b for (insert other team’s most important player).”

Thread devolves.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

So, NJD saying absolutely in a trade for a top line player like Hall, while not wanting a dissappearing/disappointing player in Hanifin is Ironic? Just because Oilers traded a better player doesn't mean NJD should. The value is significant. I'm telling you this as a NYR fan. This is bad for them. Significantly bad.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Let’s also not forget that the Oilers traded Hall for Larsson because they were deep with forwards at the time. They could afford to make a sacrifice for defensive help.

The Devils would be stupid to break up their center depth with Hischier and Hughes as it’s the best thing they currently have going for them. It’s something to build around. Trading one would only re-open up a big hole at center.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
would jersey fans be open to trading for
Njd
Dermott
Johnson

Toronto
Wood
2nd 2020

Leafs need to shed cap and the devils get two players entering their prime with some growth left in their games a decent cap hits Aj 3.4 m and dermott no more then 2.5 m. I think the deal would help both teams.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Njd
Dermott
Johnson

Toronto
Wood
2nd 2020

Leafs need to shed cap and the devils get two players entering their prime with some growth left in their games a decent cap hits Aj 3.4 m and dermott no more then 2.5 m. I think the deal would help both teams.

yes, I would be interested

problem is we do not have our 2020 2nd (Subban trade)

we have Carolina's 2020 3rd or NYI 2021 2nd

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Just to add context to the conversation, the host and Ferraro were talking about Harman Dayal's article at The Athletic which listed 7 RD that Vancouver could target: Trade Targets: 7 defencemen who could upgrade the Canucks’ right side defence

Again, after listening to the interview twice:
- Ferraro talks about Severson for a couple minutes of a 24+ minute interview. So it wasn't exactly the focus of the radio spot.
- Sounds more like he thinks Severson would be a nice addition rather than New Jersey actively shopping him. After the quote posted on TSN Vancouver's tweet, Ferraro uses the qualifier "If Jersey is shopping him"

----------

Rough transcription of the Severson portion of the interview:

Host: Turning our attention back to these parts (Vancouver), we talked about it a couple of hits (aka radio spots) back about what aisle to shop for Right D. I was about to do a deep dive but then Harman Dayal did it for me.

Ferraro: That was nice of him.

Host: He brought up a bunch of interesting names, I wanted to bounce a couple off of you. There's the longshots.....Aaron Ekblad would be perfect, but you'd have to give up the sun, moon, and the stars. But of the low rent options listed...the Mackenzie Weegars, the Cernaks of the world....even the middle priced guys, the Seversons...

Ferraro: He's your guy.

Host: He's your guy?

Ferraro: Oh yeah. I think Damon Severson is (pause) has maybe soured in Jersey. Umm, sometimes a players sours there because all the management by seeing him up close is seeing all the warts. Saw him play at the World Championship a couple years ago and I could not believe how good he was. He can skate, he has a howitzer for a shot, right shot. I really liked him a lot. He defends better than his reputation, I thought. If he's available in a ballpark that you can make work of the guys listed in the article, he's the guy you could make work.

Host: Does he use his size?

Ferraro: ...he's not gonna clobber guys all over the ice. Do guys even do that any more? (More general stuff about defending) He (Severson) can do all of that. I see Dumba on that list, I think Severson would come at a price that's more affordable than Dumba. I'm not saying he's gonna win a Norris, but I'm a fan of Severson. If Jersey is gonna move him, he's gonna be a good get for whoever gets him.

(host segues into Loui Eriksson talk)

Do you have a link to this interview or is it behind the paywall?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
So, NJD saying absolutely in a trade for a top line player like Hall, while not wanting a dissappearing/disappointing player in Hanifin is Ironic? Just because Oilers traded a better player doesn't mean NJD should. The value is significant. I'm telling you this as a NYR fan. This is bad for them. Significantly bad.

Again I’m not sure what the issue is. Calgary’s biggest need is a young top 6 C. It’s been mentioned Hanifin is trade bait. There’s been numerous examples in the past that when young dman get dealt (ie. Larsson, Jones, Hamilton) their returns bring back top 6 or topline players. It’s not as if I am making this up.

If NJ was interested in Hanifin, I would ask for Hischier. If it were in NJ’s best interests to keep Hischier, there likely isn’t a deal to be made, which is fine. The Flames I’m sure are more than happy to keep Noah who’s trending to be no worse than a really good #2, possibly better. I would not move Hanifin for anything less than a comparable young forward with tons of upside or a player like OEL.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
As has already been detailed by fellow Devils fans, we’re really not in a position to be dealing any NHL level defender right now given the state of our defense as a whole.

It also sounds like pure speculation by Ray about affordable defenders Vancouver could look for. Given we have a new (ish) GM and head coach, I don’t see how anyone could assume our management has soured on Severson at all.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Njd
Dermott
Johnson

Toronto
Wood
2nd 2020

I would do Carolina third. Wood and Dermott have similar value and we don’t necessarily have a need for Dermott And Johnsson seems to be around a third.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad