Rumor: Devils making Damon Severson available

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Do you have a link to this interview or is it behind the paywall?

TSN radio link (Severson part is around the 12 minute mark): Ferraro: Health & rest are huge factors for the Stars; Hedman touches all areas of the game, absolute "beast" for Lightning

The radio spots are usually more informal chats, the problem is that TSN's site/social media will post the juiciest quote so it suddenly has the appearance of being legitimate news. And then it gets to be a game of telephone since most folks run with the headline/tweet rather than listen to a 20+ minute interview.

I saw somebody else tweet out "Pierre Maguire said that Askarov was going top 10 during an interview with TSN Montreal" yesterday. In his 20+ minute interview, Maguire said he thought Askarov was going top 10 but that was a throwaway statement from a question about the Stanley Cup Final featuring a pair of Russian goalies. The tweet could make it seem like Pierre was neck deep in draft discussion, but he barely mentioned it.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Again I’m not sure what the issue is. Calgary’s biggest need is a young top 6 C. It’s been mentioned Hanifin is trade bait. There’s been numerous examples in the past that when young dman get dealt (ie. Larsson, Jones, Hamilton) their returns bring back top 6 or topline players. It’s not as if I am making this up.

If NJ was interested in Hanifin, I would ask for Hischier. If it were in NJ’s best interests to keep Hischier, there likely isn’t a deal to be made, which is fine. The Flames I’m sure are more than happy to keep Noah who’s trending to be no worse than a really good #2, possibly better. I would not move Hanifin for anything less than a comparable young forward with tons of upside or a player like OEL.
Nobody cares what Calgary needs. The value differences is significant whether to Calgary or not. You can ask for Hischier, you aren't getting him for the value coming back to NJD. Saying Hanfin holds equal value to your team a different approach than what you've been saying before- that the value difference isn't significant

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Would be a pretty good fit on the Canucks if we didn't have Myers. Loved watching them both on Kelowna. Also is there any deal to be had from Vancouver at all? No Boeser involved.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Nobody cares what Calgary needs. The value differences is significant whether to Calgary or not. You can ask for Hischier, you aren't getting him for the value coming back to NJD. Saying Hanfin holds equal value to your team a different approach than what you've been saying before- that the value difference isn't significant

I mean, I strongly disagree. Hanifin’s value also isn’t determined on HF. It’s determined by the market and what our GM would ask for back. You can disagree if you like, but past trades would indicate it’s close to a player comparable to Hischier.

Regardless I don’t know why NJ would deal him, the arguing over this is irrelevant. For me, I feel he is the player that would be asked for by Calgary.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I can agree with that, it still doesn’t change how I feel.

I also find it ironic that NJ fans of all people find my proposal outrageous when their team traded Adam Larsson for Taylor Hall. Larsson at the time was just getting to be a top pairing dman, very similarly to Hanifin is now. We would not be dealing Hanifin for anything short of a player like Hischier. And if that deal isn’t out there, Hanifin will remain a Flame because we also have a huge need for him.
Keep him!
1st, Larsson hadn't been traded twice already like Hanifin is. 2nd, Chia panicked when PK got moved and wanted a defender, so he pulled the trigger with Hall. Larsson is hardly the stud BTW, he will likely get moved for much less than expected. We have no rush to move a great C, signed long term on a great deal who can be Bergeron in the future. Hanifin would be nice but why traded so many times? If you are expecting him to get a Hischier or similar he will remain a Flame.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Keep him!
1st, Larsson hadn't been traded twice already like Hanifin is. 2nd, Chia panicked when PK got moved and wanted a defender, so he pulled the trigger with Hall. Larsson is hardly the stud BTW, he will likely get moved for much less than expected. We have no rush to move a great C, signed long term on a great deal who can be Bergeron in the future. Hanifin would be nice but why traded so many times? If you are expecting him to get a Hischier or similar he will remain a Flame.

To date, Hanifin has been traded once. How is that many times?

The only reason Hanifin’s name has been linked to being available is because he’s also on a fantastic deal, he’s young, and he plays the position that the Flames have the most depth in meaning he’s our most valuable trade asset to fill another hole. So if the Flames keep him, I think they’re more than comfortable with that.

Reactions: qqaz and Smitty426

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Leafs need a solid two way rhd, or a shut down rhd. I feel like severson isnt quite that. Guess hes a two way dman but the defense is suspect?

Idk if theres a fit tbh.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
To date, Hanifin has been traded once. How is that many times?

The only reason Hanifin’s name has been linked to being available is because he’s also on a fantastic deal, he’s young, and he plays the position that the Flames have the most depth in meaning he’s our most valuable trade asset to fill another hole. So if the Flames keep him, I think they’re more than comfortable with that.
Hischier>>Hanifin
But enjoy him, he's yours for all the reasons you say

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I mean, I strongly disagree. Hanifin’s value also isn’t determined on HF. It’s determined by the market and what our GM would ask for back. You can disagree if you like, but past trades would indicate it’s close to a player comparable to Hischier.

Regardless I don’t know why NJ would deal him, the arguing over this is irrelevant. For me, I feel he is the player that would be asked for by Calgary.
Hey Johnny, Cordell use to also be the beat writer for the Devs and hes soured on NH:
HockeyBuzz.com - Todd Cordell - Are the Calgary Flames ready to move on from Noah Hanifin?

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Capfriendly is your buddy. Check it out first before making silly comments. Devs don't need to shed salary. We are one of the few teams that can take on salary.

Not to worry, there are people on here telling the Wings fans as well that they need to worry about cap space. We have the most space available of pretty much anyone.

To be fair, I asked my good bud Capfriendly about it and she told me that NJ's yearly payroll sits at $65m per year, and they're at $55m now with 8 spots to fill ($10m for 8 spots). I mean even the board poster-child for cap issues this season (the Leafs) have more room available per spot to fill ($6.5m for 3 spots).

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
To be fair, I asked my good bud Capfriendly about it and she told me that NJ's yearly payroll sits at $65m per year, and they're at $55m now with 8 spots to fill ($10m for 8 spots). I mean even the board poster-child for cap issues this season (the Leafs) have more room available per spot to fill ($6.5m for 3 spots).
If you really think the Devils have cap issues and the Leafs don't, you are the only one who thinks so.

Reactions: archiemandl

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Video of the Ferraro interview:

A5uMjKC.gif

Legit LOL

ADD-devil950003

Dec 6, 2006
NY
M
lets just say not the greatest lol

the thing is a lot of Devils fans do not like him because when he messes up, it is usually in spectacular fashion...but that is what happens when you have the puck a lot

Severson is not good at all in his own end. It’s not just that he carries the puck often and makes mistakes bc of it. It’s that he is a very large liability in his own end regardless. Pair him w a defensive stud and you have a decent 2nd pair. However, if your team (like the devils) have no real shut down guys...don’t try to shove a square peg into a round hole, bc it will not end up good at all.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
i addressed quite clearly how much they can actually spend in the comment that went way over your head ;)
The Devils can easily fill out their roster with young players on ELCs and cheap free agents. It will cost way less than $26m. They could even sign a couple expensive FA no problem. If you can't fathom this, I don't know what to tell you. It's quite clear.

Leafs on the other hand need help on D, and unless they offload one of their expensive forwards really can't do much. I expect to see Nylander dealt. If you think Leafs are in a better cap situation then the Devs, you are sadly mistaken. Leafs have a much better team at this point then the Devs, but they don't have much flexibility moving forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad