Rumor: Devils making Damon Severson available

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
i addressed quite clearly how much they can actually spend in the comment that went way over your head ;)
You’re jumbled mess of words in an attempt to form a sentence was definitely not clear. The Devils have 26 million in cap space and some of the richest owners in the league who have been on record saying the GMs have the green light to spend money. So I, as well as everyone else on here literally has no clue what you’re talking about

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
The Devils can easily fill out their roster with young players on ELCs and cheap free agents. It will cost way less than $26m. They could even sign a couple expensive FA no problem. If you can't fathom this, I don't know what to tell you. It's quite clear.

Leafs on the other hand need help on D, and unless they offload one of their expensive forwards really can't do much. I expect to see Nylander dealt. If you think Leafs are in a better cap situation then the Devs, you are sadly mistaken. Leafs have a much better team at this point then the Devs, but they don't have much flexibility moving forward.

NJ have $10m on their internal cap, with 8 roster spots to fill.

Leafs have $6.5m left on the actual cap, with 3 roster spots to fill.

Yet NJ have tons of things they can do and Leafs "can't do much" :rolleyes:

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
You’re jumbled mess of words in an attempt to form a sentence was definitely not clear. The Devils have 26 million in cap space and some of the richest owners in the league who have been on record saying the GMs have the green light to spend money. So I, as well as everyone else on here literally has no clue what you’re talking about

Ah yes, now is the time they will go ahead and spend to the cap, after being in the bottom 5 in payroll for at least the last 5 years, this is it, during the global pandemic and the season and gate revenues in question, they're going to splurge.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey

Where have come up with internal cap? Does that just exist in your own mind? Please provide a link to it.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Toronto's better off seeing what they can do on the FA side first. beyond Petro there are a few guys that could help them at a decent price, that bring more to the table defensively than Severson does. Leafs have had plenty of talented mistake prone defencemen, they need to add some stability back there to give Muzzin some help.

Reactions: BoredBrandonPridham

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

We have numerous RFAs to sign and only two of them, Bratt and Blackwood, need real raises. If we have an internal cap that low we’re likely trading one of our soon to be UFA wingers. We aren’t trading Severson because we don’t have an internal replacement on defense, not even a poor one, unlike wingers. That’s why we won’t trade Subban either, particularly since he’s only owed 2m in salary this season.

Reactions: BoredBrandonPridham

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
While rebuilding, cap teams eat high cap contracts / buy outs in exchange for draft picks while you're rebuilding. Unused cap space is a wasted resource.

And the Devils have done that here and there, just because they're not going out and absorbing every bad contract out there doesn't mean they have an internal cap. You still need to be smart about it.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
And the Devils have done that here and there, just because they're not going out and absorbing every bad contract out there doesn't mean they have an internal cap. You still need to be smart about it.

When have they spent to the cap? Didn't they let Parise go because they wouldn't spend to the cap going back to 2012? And were in quite a bit of financial trouble at the time?

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
When have they spent to the cap? Didn't they let Parise go because they wouldn't spend to the cap going back to 2012? And were in quite a bit of financial trouble at the time?
Now you are really grasping at straws bringing up Paris. He left the team in 2012 so he could be closer to his Dad who lived in Minnesota.

and where's the link to the internal cap?

JimtheMagicalHamster

Jul 4, 2009
The Devils had a total cap hit of $75,963,333 on opening day last year. How is that proof that they'll have an internal cap of $65 million this year?

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
Ah yes, now is the time they will go ahead and spend to the cap, after being in the bottom 5 in payroll for at least the last 5 years, this is it, during the global pandemic and the season and gate revenues in question, they're going to splurge.
So because they don’t go out and overpay for free agents and have cap issues they now have an internal cap in your mind. When both the owners and Shero (when he was GM) said they had a green light to go spend whatever they want. Your weird obsession with this internal cap holds no water and you’re just making things up in your own mind

Reactions: SYWTom

Bankers Box

Aug 26, 2009
The Devils had a total cap hit of $75,963,333 on opening day last year. How is that proof that they'll have an internal cap of $65 million this year?
It's just a child letting his imagination run wild.

He is assuming incorrectly that the Devil's internal cap is $65M.

It's so simple to look at capfriendly as see the Devils had a cap of $78M last December.

Devils are a rebuilding team who sold at the deadline, of course their payroll is very low at the moment.

COVID has flipped everything on its head, so we don't really know the internal caps of any team at the moment. The only thing we know is that you pulled the $65M internal cap our of your butt.

Reactions: SYWTom

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
So because they don’t go out and overpay for free agents and have cap issues they now have an internal cap in your mind. When both the owners and Shero (when he was GM) said they had a green light to go spend whatever they want. Your weird obsession with this internal cap holds no water and you’re just making things up in your own mind

how do you not know nj has an internal cap it's your own team

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

Oh man you're all over the place lmao.

I never said they spent to the cap, and I'd surprised if they did, I said that they did take advantage of that cap space by taking on contracts a few times of the years. They JUST took on all of Subban's $9M cap hit. And what does Parise have to do with this? They were in some financial trouble back then but that was a completely different ownership group, Harris & Blitzer are a lot of things but at least they've provided stability to the team's finances.

Anyways this is such a stupid argument.

Severson shouldn't be available, that's it. If he is it'd be in a package for a clear upgrade on defense.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
It's just a child letting his imagination run wild.

He is assuming incorrectly that the Devil's internal cap is $65M.

It's so simple to look at capfriendly as see the Devils had a cap of $78M last December.

Devils are a rebuilding team who sold at the deadline, of course their payroll is very low at the moment.

COVID has flipped everything on its head, so we don't really know the internal caps of any team at the moment. The only thing we know is that you pulled the $65M internal cap our of your butt.

2015-16: $62m
2016-17: $64m
2017-18: $67m
2018-19: $65m
2019-20: $73m (lowest in league)

It's well documented that NJ's budget is hinged on gate revenue, and that's obviously down quite a bit with COVID. I don't think NJ fans should expect an expenditure of more than $65m, let alone what the original condescending poster said as having $25m in available spend lol.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Oh man you're all over the place lmao.

I never said they spent to the cap, and I'd surprised if they did, I said that they did take advantage of that cap space by taking on contracts a few times of the years. They JUST took on all of Subban's $9M cap hit. And what does Parise have to do with this? They were in some financial trouble back then but that was a completely different ownership group, Harris & Blitzer are a lot of things but at least they've provided stability to the team's finances.

Anyways this is such a stupid argument.

Severson shouldn't be available, that's it. If he is it'd be in a package for a clear upgrade on defense.

Thanks, didn't realize they were sold since the financial trouble.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Just because there’s nothing to spend the money on doesn’t mean they aren’t willing to. NJ hasn’t been competing so why spend money just for the hell of it?

Plus the expansion draft is coming up so they’re being smart with their contracts.

rebuilding teams that have cash to spend accelerate the rebuild by trading their cap space for futures.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
2015-16: $62m
2016-17: $64m
2017-18: $67m
2018-19: $65m
2019-20: $73m (lowest in league)

It's well documented that NJ's budget is hinged on gate revenue, and that's obviously down quite a bit with COVID. I don't think NJ fans should expect an expenditure of more than $65m, let alone what the original condescending poster said as having $25m in available spend lol.

why are you using end of the year totals when most of those years we weren't a playoff team anyways and sold pieces off?

the Devils sold off Hall, Vatanen, Coleman, and Simmonds last year. That is like $18 million right there alone. Why are you ignoring that? When the season started last year, I think they were at $76 million or so

Reactions: SJinNewJersey

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
how do you not know nj has an internal cap it's your own team
I mean, you can continue to believe your own weird fantasy world all you want. It’s embarrassing for you especially when you can just look at the devils cap hit in December and see it was 78m... not to mention the owners also own the 76ers and made a bid for the Mets. If you think money is an issue you’re only fooling yourself

Reactions: SJinNewJersey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad