Rumor: Devils making Damon Severson available

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
When have they spent to the cap? Didn't they let Parise go because they wouldn't spend to the cap going back to 2012? And were in quite a bit of financial trouble at the time?
The finances have gone up and down but Lou actually spent to the cap when it first started. The owner who had cash on hand problems sold the team in 2013 (after pushing for the monster Kovalchuk contract). The current owners don’t have money trouble that I know of, thank you for your concern.

Are you potentially sharing a harsh truth about a possible internal spending cap the Devils fans don’t want to believe. Maybe? The team’s overall profitability was always offset by what the arena made with other shows (this is true about many other teams obviously).

Did you discover the magic number from looking at on Cap Friendly? No? Shero had always said he would spend more as the team required it, it was a believable pitch. The Avalanche haven’t been throwing money around either and they’re a playoff team, are they secretly broke?

The Devils have traded a lot salary away at the TDL due to being terrible. They got up to 67.4m in 2017-18 because Shero actually made desperate TDL trades to push the team into the 8th seed.

Shero made offers to bigger UFAs but he never threw piles of money to outbid other team because he believed big long contracts to middling players sinks teams more than anything (It’s one of his best traits.) This year, Hischier and soon, Bratt and Blackwood, will garner raises. Not a lot of RFAs have done that recently.

A lot of the internal spending caps mentioned for other teams have been more in the ~70m range. I don’t know why you think the Devils won’t go up a bit if they have to. You think even >70m is somehow too big a dream? The team had a STH event where the team reps talked about adding players, they would have likely taken a different tone if they were stripping the team for parts. (More youth movement, less next step.)

Anyhoo, Severson only makes 4.17m, led the team in ATOI and played very hard minutes. The other defenseman who played those hard minutes, Andy Greene, is a UFA who’s probably retiring. The Devils aren’t going piss away a value contract for a key defenseman with 3 years left for bits and pieces. Ferraro was just pulling a name out of the air.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
While rebuilding, cap teams eat high cap contracts / buy outs in exchange for draft picks while you're rebuilding. Unused cap space is a wasted resource.
You mean like acquiring a 2nd round pick to eat Marc Savard's cap space, taking on PK Subban's full cap hit, adding Marcus Johansson because Washington couldn't afford him, adding Kyle Palmieri because the Ducks couldn't afford him, and trading for Nikita Gusev and immediately signing him?

The Devils weren't spending money because they had no one to spend it on - they were mostly guys on ELCs or on bridge deals taking the player from RFA to UFA. Spending to the cap when you don't need to is remarkably stupid.

Shero wanted to make a run for the playoffs last summer and added over 19.5M in Subban, Gusev, and Simmonds, and then gave Hischier a $50M extension in camp. Obviously it didn't work out but he has always had the green light to spend. It was just a matter of finding the right players to spend on.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
You mean like acquiring a 2nd round pick to eat Marc Savard's cap space, taking on PK Subban's full cap hit, adding Marcus Johansson because Washington couldn't afford him, adding Kyle Palmieri because the Ducks couldn't afford him, and trading for Nikita Gusev and immediately signing him?

The Devils weren't spending money because they had no one to spend it on - they were mostly guys on ELCs or on bridge deals taking the player from RFA to UFA. Spending to the cap when you don't need to is remarkably stupid.

Shero wanted to make a run for the playoffs last summer and added over 19.5M in Subban, Gusev, and Simmonds, and then gave Hischier a $50M extension in camp. Obviously it didn't work out but he has always had the green light to spend. It was just a matter of finding the right players to spend on.

Yeah, it's remarkably dumb to look at what the Devils did last summer and claim that they won't spend. Add on top of that that if the season went well they almost certainly would have signed Hall at ~$10 million a year.

Reactions: Smitty426

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Yeah, it's remarkably dumb to look at what the Devils did last summer and claim that they won't spend. Add on top of that that if the season went well they almost certainly would have signed Hall at ~$10 million a year.
The Cap was 75-76m until December and didn’t drop off a cliff until we traded 4 more roster players.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Have seen a lot of posts where people talk about the needs for scorers in New Jersey but then suggest that they trade players that aren't scoring.

Bumped this post because I was wondering if people thought Severson could bring back a significant scoring forward such as Monahan or Reinhart?

I wouldn't think so but hard to find another Devil that might.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
I’m not as high on Severson as most Devils fans. I don’t think he’d bring back a good enough scoring winger on his own to make it worth trading him.

Still I wouldn’t trade him at this point. I’m not saying we’re set on the wing but we’re worse on defense. Cant justify trading a defender who gets as many minutes as Severson for a winger. We have some wingers in the pipeline that are worth waiting on rather than trade defense for one. Definitely don’t need to trade for another center.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Have seen a lot of posts where people talk about the needs for scorers in New Jersey but then suggest that they trade players that aren't scoring.

Bumped this post because I was wondering if people thought Severson could bring back a significant scoring forward such as Monahan or Reinhart?

I wouldn't think so but hard to find another Devil that might.
Not a chance he'd return either of those guys.

Reactions: One Winged Angel

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Really hate this bumping of a "Rumor" tag thread. I thought this was new when I clicked on it, but it's seven months old and irrelevant now. If someone wants to know what Severson can return in a trade, make a new GD thread with a "proposal" tag or "value of" tag or something.
What's funny is that Ray Ferraro actually deleted the original tweet that "inspired" the OP to make this thread, but people will read the thread title and come in here trying to trade a C prospect and a 3rd for him because "he's available".

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
What's funny is that Ray Ferraro actually deleted the original tweet that "inspired" the OP to make this thread, but people will read the thread title and come in here trying to trade a C prospect and a 3rd for him because "he's available".

In Ferraro's defense, he wasn't the person who originally tweeted it. Ferraro had a weekly radio spot with TSN Vancouver and they talk about a variety of subjects. One topic was how Vancouver would replace Chris Tanev and the hosts brought up a few names (I made a rough transcription on page 2). Ferraro advocated Severson as an option.

The various media guys joke about getting "radio'd" when they do these spots, basically they'll have something taken out of context to sound juicier than it was. Ferraro wasn't reporting that Severson was being shopped, he was just speculating for 30 seconds of a 20 minute conversation. The original tweet came from TSN Vancouver which was removed since they no longer exist. Whoever did their social media probably took the juicy part out of context in the tweet to try to generate more traffic for the podcast link.

Last edited:

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Not a chance he'd return either of those guys.

Agree. What do you think he could bring in return?

@Jerzey Devil agree that the Devils have more needs on defense than up front.

But if the last month is any indication, it seems like all the losing has worn on him and that he plays a lot of minutes not because of his play (particularly in his own zone) but because there aren't other options.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
It's just tough to make a hockey trade nowadays. I think the Sabres ran into a similar issue getting "equal value" for Rasmus Ristolainen the past couple of seasons.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
If the Devils were to trade Severson in the offseason they'd better be getting a replacement from somewhere, our RD depth is pretty bad

That being said, why are we bumping this old ass thread?

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Actually it isn’t dumb. You can go back and look at the comparables where players similar to Hanifin have been dealt and what the returns have been.

Hischier has not proven to be a topline C yet, Hanifin hasn’t proven to be a top pairing dman yet, but both still lots of potential and draft pedigree.

Nobody would trade Nico for Hanifan....Wouldn't trade Severson for him either.....

Reactions: Devils Army

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
RD is the weakest spot in the entire organization and yet people want to trade him still lol

as I've said, Severson is not a #1 DMan (though he was playing like one before the entire team got Covid). It is not his fault that he is being asked to be one. However, he is still a valuable player signed to a great contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad