Rumor: Devils making Damon Severson available

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
There’s RHD to be had but many are going to cost severely in a trade (Dumba) or are going to be getting big contracts in free agency.

I think Severson’s in a pretty good position to get the Devils a good hockey trade f they choose to deal him with his age/contract combo...and the asset leverage required to get him won’t be on the level of the likes of Dumba. Certainly see a market though.
Risto, Barrie, Vatanen, Hamonic, Larsson, Schultz, Pysyk, Gudas, Brodie, Tanev, Pietrangelo and then names like Subban, Byfuglien and now Dumba. There is a lot potentially on the market.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Not the answer for Toronto but maybe Boston or Colorado would be interested.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Actually it isn’t dumb. You can go back and look at the comparables where players similar to Hanifin have been dealt and what the returns have been.

Hischier has not proven to be a topline C yet, Hanifin hasn’t proven to be a top pairing dman yet, but both still lots of potential and draft pedigree.

One is 23 and one is 21. Your proposal was ridiculous. Hanifin has proven he isn't what people thought he'd be. Nico has been perfectly fine. As a neutral fan I'd much rather have Nico.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
So he's kinda like TJ Brodie?

Yeah, that description was reminding me of Brodie too. But while there might be a ton of similarities, I think the following are the stylistic differences (NJD fans, feel free to correct me):

Both have a pretty wicked backhand, but Brodie is on his off side which means his backhand is better for passing, not shots and his forehand good for clearing. Severson is on his "correct side" which means his strong backhand is good for clearning and his shot/passing down the middle is stronger.

Brodie is a better skater. Severson slightly more physical than Brodie. (not by much)

Both used on the top pair and do quite a bit of heavy lifting, but arguably Brodie is a better 2/3 with Gio to support him and Severson is a much more solid 3 with not enough support?

Brodie is actually a rover vs Severson an offensive minded PMD. This would mean that Severson is closer to Andersson vs Brodie. Brodie will regularly wander all over the place in the ozone. Severson will typically stay on his side the vast majority of the time.

Extra:

IIRC, Severson still has extended family member(s) in Calgary and his family lives in Manitoba. Brodie's family is in Ontario. but he has roots in Calgary.

I'd definitely be interested in Severson if the price was right.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Can anyone give me a breakdown of his playstyle and skill set. Areas where he is strong and weak and maybe players he is similar too? Haven't watched many NJD games over the past few years

Think slightly better Gardiner. Or Gardiner in his peaks season.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Video of the Ferraro interview:

A5uMjKC.gif

As a long time fan of the madness, I howled. Well played.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He's one of those synergy guys, who multiply good or bad things. Pair him with someone good defensively (like, say, Gavrikov), and you'll get a very good 2nd pair. Add him to someone like him, and you'll get a disaster. At least defensively.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Actually it isn’t dumb. You can go back and look at the comparables where players similar to Hanifin have been dealt and what the returns have been.

Hischier has not proven to be a topline C yet, Hanifin hasn’t proven to be a top pairing dman yet, but both still lots of potential and draft pedigree.
I would argue Nico has show a lot more than Noah at this point in their careers - even if Nico hasn’t been seen as a true 1st overall

Reactions: Fedz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad