Rumor: Devils making Damon Severson available

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Can anyone give me a breakdown of his playstyle and skill set. Areas where he is strong and weak and maybe players he is similar too? Haven't watched many NJD games over the past few years

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Actually it isn’t dumb. You can go back and look at the comparables where players similar to Hanifin have been dealt and what the returns have been.

Hischier has not proven to be a topline C yet, Hanifin hasn’t proven to be a top pairing dman yet, but both still lots of potential and draft pedigree.

Asking Hischier for Hanifin I'd place about the same level as asking for Gaudreau for Severson.

Hischier has significantly more value than Hanifin.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Can anyone give me a breakdown of his playstyle and skill set. Areas where he is strong and weak and maybe players he is similar too? Haven't watched many NJD games over the past few years

excellent skater
good shot
not great in his own end
can play on the PP but would not have him QB PP1

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Capfriendly is your buddy. Check it out first before making silly comments. Devs don't need to shed salary. We are one of the few teams that can take on salary.

Not to worry, there are people on here telling the Wings fans as well that they need to worry about cap space. We have the most space available of pretty much anyone.

Reactions: SJinNewJersey

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
excellent skater
good shot
not great in his own end
can play on the PP but would not have him QB PP1

So he's more PMD than a shutdown/ matchup pair guy? (Say if Jersey needs a defensive stop or to hold on to a lead at the end of games/ kill a crucial PP, would he be out on PK1 or on the ice for last minute?) Also how is his grit/ compete level say when boxing out screeners?

Vancouver's got RW's (and some LD depth if interested). We got sniping RW's, potential PF RW's, defensive RW's who can't help but break their sticks... prospect RW's too (if needed)

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
So he's more PMD than a shutdown/ matchup pair guy? (Say if Jersey needs a defensive stop or to hold on to a lead at the end of games/ kill a crucial PP, would he be out on PK1 or on the ice for last minute?) Also how is his grit/ compete level say when boxing out screeners?

Vancouver's got RW's (and some LD depth if interested). We got sniping RW's, potential PF RW's, defensive RW's who can't help but break their sticks... prospect RW's too (if needed)

the only reason he was used to kill penalties in NJ is because of the crapiness of our D...ideally, he would be a 2nd pairing, 2nd PP guy that plays ~20 minutes/night

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
I could see a Dermott for Severson kind of deal. Devils need LHD, Leafs need RHD. Maybe an addition from TO

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Just to add context to the conversation, the host and Ferraro were talking about Harman Dayal's article at The Athletic which listed 7 RD that Vancouver could target: Trade Targets: 7 defencemen who could upgrade the Canucks’ right side defence

Again, after listening to the interview twice:
- Ferraro talks about Severson for a couple minutes of a 24+ minute interview. So it wasn't exactly the focus of the radio spot.
- Sounds more like he thinks Severson would be a nice addition rather than New Jersey actively shopping him. After the quote posted on TSN Vancouver's tweet, Ferraro uses the qualifier "If Jersey is shopping him"

----------

Rough transcription of the Severson portion of the interview:

Host: Turning our attention back to these parts (Vancouver), we talked about it a couple of hits (aka radio spots) back about what aisle to shop for Right D. I was about to do a deep dive but then Harman Dayal did it for me.

Ferraro: That was nice of him.

Host: He brought up a bunch of interesting names, I wanted to bounce a couple off of you. There's the longshots.....Aaron Ekblad would be perfect, but you'd have to give up the sun, moon, and the stars. But of the low rent options listed...the Mackenzie Weegars, the Cernaks of the world....even the middle priced guys, the Seversons...

Ferraro: He's your guy.

Host: He's your guy?

Ferraro: Oh yeah. I think Damon Severson is (pause) has maybe soured in Jersey. Umm, sometimes a players sours there because all the management by seeing him up close is seeing all the warts. Saw him play at the World Championship a couple years ago and I could not believe how good he was. He can skate, he has a howitzer for a shot, right shot. I really liked him a lot. He defends better than his reputation, I thought. If he's available in a ballpark that you can make work of the guys listed in the article, he's the guy you could make work.

Host: Does he use his size?

Ferraro: ...he's not gonna clobber guys all over the ice. Do guys even do that any more? (More general stuff about defending) He (Severson) can do all of that. I see Dumba on that list, I think Severson would come at a price that's more affordable than Dumba. I'm not saying he's gonna win a Norris, but I'm a fan of Severson. If Jersey is gonna move him, he's gonna be a good get for whoever gets him.

(host segues into Loui Eriksson talk)

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Severson wasn't really up there so he hasn't really fallen off.

Not the best time to be wanting out if you are a RHD. The market is flooded with top 4 RHDs this offseason.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Severson is definitely toolsy. I reckon on a better blueline in a more focused role his effectiveness will be far more pronounced. It may be damning with faint praise but given salaries (with PK making $9 million and an aging, deteriorating asset), id wager Severson is currently the most valuable pure asset on the Devils blueline ($4.17 over 3 is pretty cheap for a mid age, mid pair RHD with offensive upside)...and they aren’t going to simply further downgrade their blueline talent level for no reason. Gonna have to be a good hockey trade imo.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Severson wasn't really up there so he hasn't really fallen off.

Not the best time to be wanting out if you are a RHD. The market is flooded with top 4 RHDs this offseason.

There’s RHD to be had but many are going to cost severely in a trade (Dumba) or are going to be getting big contracts in free agency.

I think Severson’s in a pretty good position to get the Devils a good hockey trade f they choose to deal him with his age/contract combo...and the asset leverage required to get him won’t be on the level of the likes of Dumba. Certainly see a market though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad