Rumor: Devils making Damon Severson available

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Unless he wants to be moved, don’t see why the Devils do this.

If they do, it would likely be in a swap for a similar defender. Maybe a change up move with a team like Calgary for Hanifin?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
What a quote

Video of the Ferraro interview:

A5uMjKC.gif

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I'd be very surprised if this were the case given the rest of the defense right now. He's not great, but he's a competent solid pairing guy in my opinion, and he can eat up some minutes.

The title is a little misleading...he's not really stating that they are making him available, just that he thinks that Severson is a guy that could be had. Which frankly you could say for almost anyone not named Jack or Nico, I would think.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Unless he wants to be moved, don’t see why the Devils do this.

If they do, it would likely be in a swap for a similar defender. Maybe a change up move with a team like Calgary for Hanifin?

I wouldn’t move Hanifin for Severson. I’d want Hischier honestly.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Severson has fallen off the last few years.

Jersey looking to shed his salary.

Buyer beware.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I wouldn’t move Severson for Hanifin. I’d want Gaudreau honestly.

Now do you see how dumb that sounds?

Actually it isn’t dumb. You can go back and look at the comparables where players similar to Hanifin have been dealt and what the returns have been.

Hischier has not proven to be a topline C yet, Hanifin hasn’t proven to be a top pairing dman yet, but both still lots of potential and draft pedigree.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Since the TSN guys joke all the time about getting "radio'd" when they do their radio spots and have things taken out of context by TSN editors: Ferraro: Health & rest are huge factors for the Stars; Hedman touches all areas of the game, absolute "beast" for Lightning

At around the 12 minute mark, host talking about some names who might work for Vancouver. Ferraro liked what he had seen previously from Severson at the World Championship. Nothing particularly definitive, just two guys shooting the breeze. Ferraro opines that he'd rather pay a lesser price for a guy like Severson rather than a bigger name like Dumba. Ferraro also uses the qualifier "if Jersey wants to move him."

So yeah, in terms of getting radio'd, the tweet sounds sexier than what Ferraro actually said.

In general, I'd caution against using things that originate from TSN radio interviews as sources. It's usually just the host and guest having a casual conversation, in this case Ferraro talks about Severson for a couple minutes of the 24 minute interview.

I still remember Darren Dreger doing a Vancouver radio spot just prior to the 2017 Draft and the TSN headline took a quote out of context to imply the opposite of what Dreger had actually said in the interview. Naturally some people posted just the headline here and it was followed by a bunch of "Dreger is an idiot" comments from folks who didn't listen to the interview. I thought it was funny/sad that Dreger was getting skewered for something he didn't even say, but he was at the mercy of whoever is in charge of the headlines on the TSN website.

Last edited:

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
he never said he was available.. the hosts gave him 3 to 4 names and severson was the one ferarro liked the most

Reactions: deflowd

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA

Buyer beware.
um. Yeah. Let’s shed the salary of a #3 defenseman making $4.25 million when you have more cap space available than virtually every team. He’s only 26 and puts up 30-40 points on a low scoring team that is terrible.
His value is quite high especially if salary is retained which the devils can do.
I’d rather keep severson and rebuild with him.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

Buyer beware.

hes been basically the same player he has always been, but okay lol plus we are set up on the cap maybe better than any other NHL team, so yeah

I really don't see how they can trade him with the state of the D unless its in a deal for an upgrade

Unless they think that they can sign Pietrangelo, which I doubt.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Is he still good? Haven’t watched many jersey games but I remember a few years ago this guy was the best thing since sliced bread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->