LeBrun: Devils, Hall making traction on new contract?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Would think he asks for the Panarin deal. 7x11.7 frontloaded with bonuses, lockout protection, and a full NMC. Maybe Jersey finds some of those things unreasonable such as frontloading and lockout protection, but that should then push him above 12m over 7, and maybe with the frontloaded bonuses, full NMC, and lockout protection they can get him between 11 to 10.5. We will see how committed the relatively new ownership is with this negotiation. As a UFA, someone will give him that contract structure.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Yeah, what exactly is the alternative there? Don't sign him because of that $2M and then...what exactly?
1) Let him walk at the end of the contract
2) Trade him before the deadline

A) Build around Hischier/Hughes
B) Use gained cap space for UFA signings
C) Use gained cap space in trades like for Subban or Gusev

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
1) Let him walk at the end of the contract
2) Trade him before the deadline

A) Build around Hischier/Hughes
B) Use gained cap space for UFA signings
C) Use gained cap space in trades like for Subban or Gusev
Oh, so continue to suck in the hope you end up with someone half as good as Hall is now. Sounds great. At some point, you actually need to start winning, not this perpetual plan for the future.

Listen, if Hall leaves you me-too and build around your young guys. It'll take some time and they'll continue to get better. But Plan A better damn well be sign your best player.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Oh, so continue to suck in the hope you end up with someone half as good as Hall is now. Sounds great. At some point, you actually need to start winning, not this perpetual plan for the future.

Listen, if Hall leaves you me-too and build around your young guys. It'll take some time and they'll continue to get better. But Plan A better damn well be sign your best player.
Why are you so mad? I just answered your questions with the obvious. I am not advocating one or the other.

But as stated by others, the worst case scenario is not letting Hall walk for nothing. It's signing him long term with a significant overpay. Looking back Chicago would rather not have signed Seabrook to his long term contract.

Reactions: My3Sons

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Would think he asks for the Panarin deal. 7x11.7 frontloaded with bonuses, lockout protection, and a full NMC. Maybe Jersey finds some of those things unreasonable such as frontloading and lockout protection, but that should then push him above 12m over 7, and maybe with the frontloaded bonuses, full NMC, and lockout protection they can get him between 11 to 10.5. We will see how committed the relatively new ownership is with this negotiation. As a UFA, someone will give him that contract structure.

The money will not be a problem with their current ownership. Ownership, probably more than Shero, wants him there long term.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
I'm not worried about years 6-8 of a potential longterm contract. In today's NHL, its relatively easy to "Get out" of a contract if you really need to.

Basically, if we want Hall for the next 3-4 years we need to give him a 7-8 year contract. There is no way around it.

I really don't want to start this up again - but I can't resist. My friend - didn't you just say earlier this week that cap strapped teams would not be able to create room to sign hall next july? And then when you asked me for examples of times when it did I pointed out Shattenkirk, Duschene and the general Tampa situation and you essentially scoffed at that saying well thats just a few examples.

Now you're saying its "relatively easy" to get out of a bad contract for NHL teams.

If its relatively easy to do, why would teams who Hall would want to play for be unable to do so to sign him next summer?

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Why are you so mad? I just answered your questions with the obvious. I am not advocating one or the other.

But as stated by others, the worst case scenario is not letting Hall walk for nothing. It's signing him long term with a significant overpay. Looking back Chicago would rather not have signed Seabrook to his long term contract.
Wasn't meant to be mad, more exasperated than anything.

And I disagree with your worst case. I'd rather spend that extra $2M on Hall than any yet-to-be-determined free agent or middle six talent.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
“Privately, not much talk between the agent Darren Ferris for Taylor Hall or the Devils and that suggests to me that there is an ongoing process here,” Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston added. “I do think we can’t rule out the possibility of an extension depending on how things turn out.”
The former Hart Trophy winner has recorded three assists in New Jersey’s opening five games so far this season.

Devils to be patient with Taylor Hall after team's slow start - Sportsnet.ca

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Sure. Panarin has the second highest AAV in the whole NHL. The only team, who might had paid more total money over the life time of the contract would have been CBJ on a eight year deal.
With the Cap not expected to raise significantly Hall almost certainly will sign for less than Panarin.
He certainly won't. They're the same age and Hall is the better, more accomplished player.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Not sure why they would want to do this. Hall is too injury prone to be locked up long term at a big salary. Sort of like Karlsson.

Glad it won't be my team having to make this decision.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Maybe he does not want to be locked up by a team with a room disrupting dominant personia for years.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Maybe he does not want to be locked up by a team with a room disrupting dominant personia for years.

If he doesn't want to stay with the Devils it's because they're being held back by shitty coaching and have not fired Hynes yet and Hall has dealt with enough mediocrity in his career and wants to stop living under the rainy storm cloud of losing that's been hanging over his head since the day he started in the NHL. That's got nothing to do with PK Subban and everything to do with Hall wanting to win -which will not happen in NJ any time soon unless something changes quickly

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
He certainly won't. They're the same age and Hall is the better, more accomplished player.

In what world? Panarin has been in the league for 4 years.

Panarin: 324 points in 325 games(26pts in 27gp PO)
Hall: 251 points in 268 games(6pts in 5gp PO)

Panarin clearly showed he wasn't a product of Kane when he carried colombus on his back. So I'm not sure how hall is more accomplished. One good year doesn't make a player.

Reactions: FireChevy

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
In what world? Panarin has been in the league for 4 years.

Panarin: 324 points in 325 games(26pts in 27gp PO)
Hall: 251 points in 268 games(6pts in 5gp PO)

Panarin clearly showed he wasn't a product of Kane when he carried colombus on his back. So I'm not sure how hall is more accomplished. One good year doesn't make a player.

One of those guys have a Hart though.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC

And Jamie Benn has an art Ross. As of today, the stars wish they didn't even sign him. One fluke year shouldn't dictate what hall gets on his next contract. He's an injury prone player with one single elite season in the past 5 years.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick

The same guy also spent far too long on a terrible team.

I'm curious about Hall's plan. I honestly can't see him signing in Jersey if he doesn't 100% believe in the team.

And wouldn't be shocked if part of the decision is Captaincy.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012

Looking back? At the time it was a WTF contract. But that's Scotty's little boy for you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad