LeBrun: Devils, Hall making traction on new contract?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Just pay the man, he is a top 5 LW in the league. Where else you going to get someone this good?

I doubt they have a problem with paying him superstar money in the 10-12 range. I'm sure if he wants to sign there, they will get it done.

Panarin signed for 11.5, but it was also a shorter contract than what Hall can sign with the Devils. That extra year should help the Devils.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
You are leaving out how he will miss tons of time and be injured in playoffs every year. It means that you need to keep 11M off the roster because he will play, but when it counts later in the year he will never be healthy. Eventually it will be bad enough he just decides to not come back and go to LTIR.

We've seen this story so many times.
With Matthews?

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
What? He's had knee surgery, that takes 6-9 months to recover, before that he played 70+ games in the previous 3 years (meaning he was healthy most of the season). At this stage in his career Crosby was more injury prone, do you think Pens fans were saying the same thing?
Thats hall’s second knee surgery. Guy has never played a full season. The Crosby comparison is also a little odd seeing as Crosby is a couple tiers higher in terms of level of player.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
He'll end up making 12M a year. And it won't be with the Devils.

Well if either one of those things is true, I hope the other is as well.

This is where hf gets me with contract obsession, Hall's very likely getting 11, at least over 10, if he takes 12 do you really value that 1-1.5 million extra space in cap wiggle room over keeping a superstar?

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
This is where hf gets me with contract obsession, Hall's very likely getting 11, at least over 10, if he takes 12 do you really value that 1-1.5 million extra space in cap wiggle room over keeping a superstar?
This is an argument I've seen come up too many times and never understand. If you would do 12, you wouldn't do 13? Only 1 mil difference. Ok so you would do 13, why not 14? only 1 mil differ...... You see where this is going?

With Hughes, Nico and hopefully Gusev looking for big contracts in the next few years, you could have like half your cap tied up in just a few guys if you keep going down the "What's another couple mil?" road.

And nobody wants that.

Reactions: HBK27

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
That looks a lot like a player who's only suffered one injury of note over the past 4 seasons...

I would say missing 10 games in a season is certainly "of note"

Fact is, Hall has missed 20% of his career due to injuries, and hasn't shown any sign of bucking that trend.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
He is easily going to get 11 million by 8/7 years with the Panarin, Marner and Skinner contracts out there. Perhaps even more. Which of those guys has a Hart on his resume.

NJ would be smart to let him go at that price, Hall is not a player who will age well based on the pure style of play (ignoring an extensive injury history). Whoever signs him is taking a risk not worth taking. Even if he does stay healthy (not likely at all), he is reckless, and his entire game is built on speed which is the first ability to show signs of decline with age.

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
You don't sign Hall to an 8 year contract for his performance 5 years from now. You sign him to an 8 year contract because that's what's necessary to get his performance over the next 4-5 years. Very much doubt his contract puts the Devils in any sort of cap bind and they can manipulate the salary to make it tolerable to dump as well.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Love Hall but I don’t consider him to be a “superstar “
He’s damn good but I don’t know how I feel about giving him 11 mil or more . His play style to me is something I worry will keep him out of playing as much as his team would like him to , and also think that his effectiveness will drop off sharply as he ages . When he loses his speed , I think his game will decline sharply . Not a combination I’d like the devils to throw huge money and term at .
I’d be fine with a shorter term deal for his prime years only but that’s not going to happen . I’m just worried his contract might make it hard to resign Nico / Hughes / and hopefully Gusev and Smith while trying to improve the defence . I’d rather have depth than be very top heavy on forwards

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
This is an argument I've seen come up too many times and never understand. If you would do 12, you wouldn't do 13? Only 1 mil difference. Ok so you would do 13, why not 14? only 1 mil differ...... You see where this is going?

With Hughes, Nico and hopefully Gusev looking for big contracts in the next few years, you could have like half your cap tied up in just a few guys if you keep going down the "What's another couple mil?" road.

And nobody wants that.
overpaying your top players won't kill you as much as overpaying mid-level guys. It's not a slippery slope kind of thing you're saying. All it's saying is it's not worth losing Hall over ~1m difference in valuation.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
overpaying your top players won't kill you as much as overpaying mid-level guys. It's not a slippery slope kind of thing you're saying. All it's saying is it's not worth losing Hall over ~1m difference in valuation.

Is there a player or combination of players available or who will be available that you’d rather spend the money on? If no, you sign him and whether he’s overpaid is an illuminating discussion in HF Boards that will definitely change minds based on well reasoned argument.

Oil Spill

Net Detective
Jan 21, 2013
If Jersey doesn't have a good year, don't think Hall will re sign. I think he's had enough of lottery teams and promises of future success to re sign. Be surprised if he re signed during the season.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Is there a player or combination of players available or who will be available that you’d rather spend the money on? If no, you sign him and whether he’s overpaid is an illuminating discussion in HF Boards that will definitely change minds based on well reasoned argument.
yeah i agree with this. i guess the other argument is there's a chance the contract will be bad in the ending years of the deal but the Devils aren't giving the contract with year 6 as a priority.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
overpaying any player isn't smart. a healthy salary structure within an organization is very important. if a GM doesn't overpay his top guys, he is in a much better position in the contract negotiations with the next tier players and so on. the contracts in toronto are a prime example of such a dribble down effect costs.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
If Jersey doesn't have a good year, don't think Hall will re sign. I think he's had enough of lottery teams and promises of future success to re sign. Be surprised if he re signed during the season.
Except what contender could pay him 10-11m next year? I think he and his agent know it's going to be very tough to get a better offer from a better team

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017

And nobody wants that.

Yes, I see where you're going with "if not 12, why not 13? Etc." I'm not talking about escalating this to a 3 million dollar overpayment but if you pay a bit more than is palatable you get to keep the guy who just won the Hart. If you keep Hall with the group in New Jersey they're odds of being a legit contender grows exponentially, which is far and away the most important thing. Short of worrying about losing Hischier/Hughes which wouldn't happen, what's the worst case scenario here? Overpay your stars a combined 3 million, maybe 4 if, optimistic "if," were including Gusev, what's that 4 million going to buy you in free agency? Is that third liner who probably won't even provide value for his middling price tag worth losing a core piece over?

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Yes, I see where you're going with "if not 12, why not 13? Etc." I'm not talking about escalating this to a 3 million dollar overpayment but if you pay a bit more than is palatable you get to keep the guy who just won the Hart. If you keep Hall with the group in New Jersey they're odds of being a legit contender grows exponentially, which is far and away the most important thing. Short of worrying about losing Hischier/Hughes which wouldn't happen, what's the worst case scenario here? Overpay your stars a combined 3 million, maybe 4 if, optimistic "if," were including Gusev, what's that 4 million going to buy you in free agency? Is that third liner who probably won't even provide value for his middling price tag worth losing a core piece over?
Yea but me personally, I would already feel uncomfortable with anything north of 10. So adding just a mil or two would push me to the point where I would rather let him walk. Look at the difference with all the big names in say.. Tampa as opposed to a team like, idk, Toronto. I’d much rather be in Tampa’s position where you can actually have money left over to pay for defense and depth, while still having a few elite guys in the team.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad