LeBrun: Devils, Hall making traction on new contract?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Come home Hall. Come home and be the new Messier to McDavid's Gretzky you were always destined to be.

CreeksideStrangler

Feb 9, 2011
Toronto, ON
Unless New Jersey has a huge turn around. I can't see Hall staying. That being said, he's not exactly playing himself into a payday. If he continues to have a down year, he can pretty much say goodbye to the insane Marner type offers.

Of course, five games is WAY too early for this discussion. By December, we'll have a better estimation where both the team and Hall are, respectively.
5pts in 6 games...

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I think at this point it's pretty obvious he is determined to go to UFA and the Devils are going to have to trade him by the deadline.

If he was going to sign, he would have by now. before he even stepped on the ice for opening night, even training camp, like every other franchise player in their contract years

is Roman Josi "determined" to go to UFA since he isn't signed yet? what about Nick Backstrom? Alex Pietrangelo?

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
is Roman Josi "determined" to go to UFA since he isn't signed yet? what about Nick Backstrom? Alex Pietrangelo?

I'd be concerned if I was a Preds, Caps or Blues fans that they have made this far yes, but also those teams have a bit more leeway. Recent Stanley Cups, 2 captains, and they have been with their teams for up to a decade. There is a lot of loyalty there that doesnt exist with Hall. Just like Panarin in CBJ and Duchene in OTT.

Those teams are also among the best in the league. The Devils have one total playoff win in 7, maybe going on 8 years.

So yeah, much more leeway actually. But still some concerns too.

Woahhhhhhh, Serious deja vu when I said the same exact thing about Tavares and Islanders fans said "but Stamkos just last year went the distance".

Last edited:
Reactions: NNCbama

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Yeah like Tavares did last year ? (Rolls eyes)

Exactly, and Tavares left. Just like Stone, Panarin, Duchene and Karlsson, the select few who made it that far without a contract.

For example

Toews and Kane signed their extensions on July 9th, Benn on the 16th, Seguin on September 13th, Price on July 2nd, Bergeron on July 12th, Giroux on July 4th, Marchand on September 26, Kuznetsov July 2nd, Tarasenko July 7th, Doughty July 1st, Couture July 1st, OEL July 1st, Wheeler September 4th, Pastrnak on September 14th, Kucherov and Hedman signed their extensions on July 10th and July 1st. Vasilevskiy a year out..you get the idea.

Last edited:

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I think at this point it's pretty obvious he is determined to go to UFA and the Devils are going to have to trade him by the deadline.

If he was going to sign, he would have by now. before he even stepped on the ice for opening night, even training camp, like every other franchise player in their contract years
Other franchise players were not coming off knee injuries which caused them to not play in 49 games the previous year. I would think other GM's would want to see him play before trading assets for him.

Hopefully you are right and he wants to test UFA.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Other franchise players were not coming off knee injuries which caused them to not play in 49 games the previous year. I would think other GM's would want to see him play before trading assets for him.

Hopefully you are right and he wants to test UFA.

That sounds like a bit of a justification. You cant with an honest face tell me if Hall came to Shero asking for the same contract Panarin got you wouldn't run to get him signed faster than you could say "Fire Hynes"

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
That sounds like a bit of a justification. You cant with an honest face tell me if Hall came to Shero asking for the same contract Panarin got you wouldn't run to get him signed faster than you could say "Fire Hynes"
IMO whoever gives him a 7 or 8 (in the Devils case) is going to regret it. I have posted that many times and other Devils fans will tell you I am not a big Hall fan.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Come home Hall. Come home and be the new Kurri to Draisaitl's Gretzky you were always destined to be.

Fixed it for you just a little

Hall and Draisaitl were the bomb diggity when they played together though. If Hall came back you would never have to pair McDavid with Draisaitl again. Just roll em 1-2 at center. Maybe make RNH a winger for good and put him with McDavid and Neal

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Those players are on teams that win and go to the playoffs. Hall is not. Those players havent publicly said they want to play on playoff teams when not on playoffs teams.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Fixed it for you just a little

Hall and Draisaitl were the bomb diggity when they played together though. If Hall came back you would never have to pair McDavid with Draisaitl again. Just roll em 1-2 at center. Maybe make RNH a winger for good and put him with McDavid and Neal

No no. Hall and McDavid don’t work together. Was already tried. Hall is Mess not Kurri. He’ll drive his own line.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
If Hall really gave the "green light" to his agent to talk contract with NJ why is it so obvious that Hall wants out? Is it possible that Shero is waffling on committing 8 years and Panarin money to Hall? As others have noted, that's not necessarily a great deal for a team with a number of players 22 and under who are expected to be the actual core of the team in the future.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
Wonder if the Devils would take
Larsson
Puljujarvi
Neal
1st 2020

for Hall

Then sign Hall to 10M x 7 Years

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
If Hall really gave the "green light" to his agent to talk contract with NJ why is it so obvious that Hall wants out? Is it possible that Shero is waffling on committing 8 years and Panarin money to Hall? As others have noted, that's not necessarily a great deal for a team with a number of players 22 and under who are expected to be the actual core of the team in the future.

No way. I mean I wish that were true and the ball was in the Devils court but if Hall wanted to sign he would be signed.

Last year I stated he really needed to be signed on July 1 of this year (or soon after). Then I said to myself.. ok by training camp. Then... ok... before deadline. But now that the situation with the team is unfolding the way it is, there is just no way. The ship has sailed.

Time kills deals. If there was a deal to be made it was on July 1 in my opinion. Devils fans need to understand that it is what it is and hope for a good return.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
No way. I mean I wish that were true and the ball was in the Devils court but if Hall wanted to sign he would be signed.

Last year I stated he really needed to be signed on July 1 of this year (or soon after). Then I said to myself.. ok by training camp. Then... ok... before deadline. But now that the situation with the team is unfolding the way it is, there is just no way. The ship has sailed.

Time kills deals. If there was a deal to be made it was on July 1 in my opinion. Devils fans need to understand that it is what it is and hope for a good return.

A win now team makes a lot of sense for Hall. Pay him for four good years and then worry about his last three years when the win now team has its window closing. He’s not a great fit at top dollar for NJ in my view. If he’d sign with NJ at market value for eight years I’m neutral.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad