LeBrun: Devils, Hall making traction on new contract?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Beg to differ. Devils are in a tough spot. They know he won't resign.

This isn't a player with term, he's basically a rental. Show me in the past what high rentals have gone for.

given the player I would think Hossa to the pens would be comparable. That deal looks like highway robbery for the pens now but at the time it seemed like they paid a huge premium.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Beg to differ. Devils are in a tough spot. They know he won't resign.

This isn't a player with term, he's basically a rental. Show me in the past what high rentals have gone for.
Oh boy. This is gonna be SUPER tough.

"Ottawa received forwards Chris Tierney and Rudolfs Balcers, defenseman Dylan DeMelo, the rights to unsigned forward Joshua Norris, a first-round pick in the 2019 NHL Draft or 2020 NHL Draft, a second-round pick in the 2019 draft, and two conditional draft picks..."

While not an incredible return, certainly roughly 1000 times better than what Oiler fans have proposed. Keep dreamin'

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
He would be a fool to sign there longterm if he cares about winning. He needs to sign with a much better and more marketable team. He’s wasted most of his career playing for lousy squads. I feel bad for him.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
There is no chance the Oilers can afford him.

Yes, they have $24 million in cap space. Thats with a roster of NINE players signed next year. They'd need to sign 14 players with $24 million. Good luck. Say Hall signs for a reasonable $10 million/year (probably not happening), they have $14 million to sign 13 players. lol.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
With the Hischier signing, I'm not sure the Devils can afford 12+ and still sign Blackwood and others, as well as find replacements for Simmonds/Greene, if they were to let them go. Was actually surprised that the Devils would sign Hischier before Hall, unless that is the clear signal that the Devils are moving on from Hall.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
There is no chance the Oilers can afford him.

Yes, they have $24 million in cap space. Thats with a roster of NINE players signed next year. They'd need to sign 14 players with $24 million. Good luck. Say Hall signs for a reasonable $10 million/year (probably not happening), they have $14 million to sign 13 players. lol.

We have a ton of first and second year pros at the AHL level that are pushing their way up and will be on ELCs. The only players coming off the books we even give a damn about are Kassian (who won't demand more than 3-3.5) and Nurse (who will see a decent dump in salary). It would be tight for sure but they could sign him if they wanted to.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I’d move Hall and play Gusev on the top line with Hischier and Bratt.

We have the forward depth to still be decent offensively and I don’t think we can go anywhere with Hall as our main guy. Evidently, we’re looking at adding another stud via the draft and this team is on the rise with the likes of Hischier, Hugues, Bratt and Smith. True, you need a mix of youngsters and veterans to have any type of balance but Hall doesn’t seem like the type of guy that will help his team take that next step.

I’d move him and Greene for some additional assets. I’d keep Simmonds as he’s a very solid character guy and that’s what we’re lacking ATM. If someone is interested in Severson, I’d move him as well but in a hockey trade, meaning for a player of equal potential but at a position of need. We’re pretty much set down the middle, left wing and the right side of our blue line.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
We have a ton of first and second year pros at the AHL level that are pushing their way up and will be on ELCs. The only players coming off the books we even give a damn about are Kassian (who won't demand more than 3-3.5) and Nurse (who will see a decent dump in salary). It would be tight for sure but they could sign him if they wanted to.

There is just no way an NHL team can have a roster where 13 players make $14 million total. I can't imagine its possible.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
There is just no way an NHL team can have a roster where 13 players make $14 million total. I can't imagine its possible.

Leafs have 11 players making under $1 million on their current roster, I think it can be done. A really strong AHL system and good Euro/veteran recruiting are pretty vital to that end.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad