LeBrun: Devils, Hall making traction on new contract?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
While he's out, insurance pays his salary? Team can exceed cap to replace? LTIR? Not new concepts?
I will not argue what Hall is worth, but you're missing the point If you think it's just money reserved while Hall is injure.

NJ is better with Hall. Out with an injury hurts the team, regardless if they can put Hall on LTIR.

Hall healthy to start the season limits moves NJ can make. So his cap hit becomes important regardless of LTIR later in the season.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I’m going to laugh very hard when Hall signs for less than 11.6. Panarin probably left millions from Columbus...where he absolutely didn’t want to play. He got a crazy contract from a team in one of the greatest cities in the world. Kind of a no brainer. Hall is a better player and will sign for less specially if he doesn’t hit the open market. That’s pretty obvious that a guy not hitting the market and letting teams boost his payday will re-sign with his club for less.

Don’t act like the rangers have a track record of anything but always overpaying free agents. It’s kind of been going on since the late nineties and hasn’t stopped since, even with the cap. Holik, Gomez, Drury, Redden, Richards, Nash, now Panarin and I’m even leaving out a bunch more...
I hate to disrupt a good rant, but Nash never actually signed a contract with anyone other than the Columbus Blue Jackets. He was traded to New York two years into that eight year extension, and in his final year of that extension was sent to Boston at the deadline, and subsequently retired.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Hall will sign for a discount in Boston as a UFA and play on the team that was his favorite growing up and the reason why he used to wear #4.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
So his cap hit won't count and if it's advantageous to AAV, you give him 8 years. Marian Hossa special.

You are leaving out how he will miss tons of time and be injured in playoffs every year. It means that you need to keep 11M off the roster because he will play, but when it counts later in the year he will never be healthy. Eventually it will be bad enough he just decides to not come back and go to LTIR.

We've seen this story so many times.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
You are leaving out how he will miss tons of time and be injured in playoffs every year. It means that you need to keep 11M off the roster because he will play, but when it counts later in the year he will never be healthy. Eventually it will be bad enough he just decides to not come back and go to LTIR.

I’m a Devils fan and I’ve always been wary of Hall’s next contract....but this is completely over dramatic.

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield

Playoffs every year you say? I’ll take it!

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Games played ages 18 - 27 per season

(lockout year)

And you think this will get better ages 28-35?

Agreed that he’s not setting any Ironman streaks, but since the lockout and excluding last years outlier season, he has averaged 72 games a season. And then there’s your “be injured in playoffs every year” comment....

So, yeah, to reiterate: overdramatic.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Perhaps someone take a chance on him longterm !
Always liked him as an Oiler, always gave it all on the ice!

But i said it back then, hes a unstoppable express train! Hes style of playing make him a high injury risk kind of player, wouldnt spend doublefigures on a guy who has that style and history, perhaps 2 years term!

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
it's a risky contract to sign him for 7 or 8 years

the guy is an amazing player and in his prime right now....but he's a reckless and injury-prone player who hasn't played a full season since 15-16
not to mention his inconsistencies in points

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012

Did I miss the HF Boards subforum where you can get a medical degree?

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Did I miss the HF Boards subforum where you can get a medical degree?
You obviously didn't read the rules when signing up. It's right below no flaming or personal attacks. "Anyone on this site is able to give medical opinions and all other posters are obliged to believe whatever they say."

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I wouldn't give him more than 4 years of term. If he is going to be 33+ making 10-11M... That is a killer. He will finish a 7 or 8 year contact on LTIR IMO

Of course you wouldn't, as all your Hall scenario's are unrealistic (signing him for only 4 years or dealing him for a "massive haul" at the draft, before any contract extension was even discussed).

Who knows where the cap will be starting in 2024 and how Hall will be performing by then. Shero's done a great job thus far avoiding the detrimental UFA contracts, but locking up Hall at that rate even for 7-8 years is a deal you can't pass up.

Funny that now that we're hearing about Hall and the Devils talking extension that the narrative is starting to change from "he's going walk from NJ and they'll get nothing in return" to "he's going to sign for too long and the contract will be awful in a few seasons".

And if he finishes on LTIR (unlikely as it is), well that at least solves any negative cap implications from the contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: Auto Pilot

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
Hall's comments to media today could be consistent with Friedman in that both sides are under selling. If thats the case they are doing a good job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad