Post-Game Talk: Devils 5 Oilers 2 - welp

Status
Not open for further replies.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Living in Windsor now and the Oilers are playing in Detroit Nov 3rd. I was all set to grab a couple tickets but now I think I'll wait another game or two before deciding.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
The Good:
  • Every facet of McDavid's game
  • Kassian's 1st period
  • 2 periods of Lucic
  • Nurse
  • 3rd line chemistry seems to be carrying over into the regular season
The Bad:
  • There were moments where Drai(2 points) seemed like a blind 70 year old out there
  • Yamamoto(2 very good shots on goal) and Drai have a hard time communicating
  • When Talbot isn't playing great horriblad things happen
The Fugly:
  • Same old news on the PP. If our skilled guys (not talking about McDavid) are going to insist on making things too fancy then take them off of the PP and put guys out there that are going to keep it simple so that we can at least DO SOMETHING ON THE PP.
  • Benning did ONE SINGLE THING RIGHT. There was one time he passed the puck from behind the net to an Oilers on the left side boards and it got out of the zone.
  • Russell's shot blocking gives the other team another goal.
  • Seeing the coach shouting on the bench before we were 1/2 through our first game in the regular season.
  • Drai when he wasn't playing with McDavid
  • Rattie getting out muscled all over the place.
Conclusion:
  • Waive Benning and bring up Bear
  • Give Yamamoto some shifts with McDavid and Hopkins.
  • Give that 3rd line more minutes.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We really should not be using up one of Bouchard's ELC years this season, because if Seattle expands a year later that could really screw us, but it's sad to say he was probably one of the better Oilers D.

Reactions: nabob

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I'm glad I had to attend a funeral after the 1st Oilers goal (McDavid to Lucic)... because the rest of the game sounded horrible.

Evergreen

I asked this on the main board GDT, but from a neutral fan's perspective, I was sort of baffled as to why Nurse and Benning seemed to be out there whenever McDavid was on the ice, rather than Klefbom. Any reason for this? Klefbom looked like the most dynamic D out there for you guys, but he generally seemed to be out with the second line. Also Nurse and Benning was out late when the Oilers were pushing for a goal when it was 4-2 and got the EN goal against. Klefbom didn't get out until after the EN goal.

Reactions: Aerrol

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
The Good:
  • Every facet of McDavid's game
  • Kassian's 1st period
  • 2 periods of Lucic
  • Nurse
  • 3rd line chemistry seems to be carrying over into the regular season
The Bad:
  • There were moments where Drai(2 points) seemed like a blind 70 year old out there
  • Yamamoto(2 very good shots on goal) and Drai have a hard time communicating
  • When Talbot isn't playing great horriblad things happen
The Fugly:
  • Same old news on the PP. If our skilled guys (not talking about McDavid) are going to insist on making things too fancy then take them off of the PP and put guys out there that are going to keep it simple so that we can at least DO SOMETHING ON THE PP.
  • Benning did ONE SINGLE THING RIGHT. There was one time he passed the puck from behind the net to an Oilers on the left side boards and it got out of the zone.
  • Russell's shot blocking gives the other team another goal.
  • Seeing the coach shouting on the bench before we were 1/2 through our first game in the regular season.
  • Drai when he wasn't playing with McDavid
  • Rattie getting out muscled all over the place.
Conclusion:
  • Waive Benning and bring up Bear
  • Give Yamamoto some shifts with McDavid and Hopkins.
  • Give that 3rd line more minutes.

When is this going to become concerning?

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I wouldn't touch our forward lines. We need to let those guys build chemistry in my opinion. To much juggling throughout the game. Benning was just brutal.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I asked this on the main board GDT, but from a neutral fan's perspective, I was sort of baffled as to why Nurse and Benning seemed to be out there whenever McDavid was on the ice, rather than Klefbom. Any reason for this? Klefbom looked like the most dynamic D out there for you guys, but he generally seemed to be out with the second line. Also Nurse and Benning was out late when the Oilers were pushing for a goal when it was 4-2 and got the EN goal against. Klefbom didn't get out until after the EN goal.
Klefbom isn't that good?

Reactions: harpoon

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
The gap in quality of our defensemen vs the opposition is really startling, and we’re going to get a steady diet of opposing teams clogging the middle when we’re on offense so we can’t make tick tack plays on zone entry. Need to change things up and not play so safe and predictable.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
It's because the head coach is a moron. He would put Eric Gryba out with McDavid if the Oilers were down by a goal with five minutes left.

Reactions: Aerrol and PulYou

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
RNH and Puljujarvi completely invisible, not a peep.

Draisaitl 2 points, torn apart in every other post.

But this board doesnt play favorites or turn it's stars into whipping boys.

Holy crap, this every time.

Lucic and Drai both score and get an assist, best forwards on the team not named McD tonight and they get carved in 100's of posts in the GDT's

Not one comment that the loaded 1st line got not one goal. its all about Drai being "dependent" on McD getting two shifts in the whole game with him while McD's linemates the rest of the game couldn't get it done.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
they looked very disorganized. if they dont get it figured out right quick TMac wont see November.

and thats even too late. IMHO, if they dont get their sh-t together, immediately, he better be gone by game 6.

He's got 4 games to show that he can get this team playing like an NHL team.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I wouldn't touch our forward lines. We need to let those guys build chemistry in my opinion. To much juggling throughout the game. Benning was just brutal.

At this point I feel like we're just shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic anyways. Doesn't seem like it really makes any difference.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Hall had 0 apples or goals today and is now 1-4 vs us since the trade.

not to mention his usual several bad turnovers per game. one or two of those could have easily wound up as a goal for the oil and might have changed the tide.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
It speaks volumes when rookie defenseman is the onlyone who gets puck out from d-zone without using glass. That is our big problem. We cant get that puck out and it ends up in our net. It was so easy for NJ during last 10 min.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
When is this going to become concerning?
Hard to say. He's always been a slow starter. That's concerning enough.

I'd be cool to try
Hopkins-McDavid-Yama
Juju-Strome-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Drai-Reider
Chaison-Brodziak-Kassian

If things don't go well for a number of consecutive games.
Let them play out of their rut on the 3rd line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad