Post-Game Talk: Devils 5 Oilers 2 - welp

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
if if if

get over some hypothetical "what if" scenarios that may or may never have occurred

A hypothetical is saying we could have traded Hall, RNH and a 1st for Karlsson

Saying we didn't need to trade 2 players who didn't want to leave is not a hypothetical...it's just a mistake

Big difference there

Reactions: harpoon

greengoblin

Jan 20, 2017
Picked Rattie first overall in my yahoo draft. Going to drop him now. What a mistake. Like, he had 11 points in meaningless exhibition games. I thought forsure he was going to get 100 points at the rate he was scoring in preseason!!!

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
its beyond description really.

Even when Drai scored he didn't do it right, was still getting slammed, still sucks. he then sets up 3 scoring chances after that beautifully and he still sucks, everything wrong with him etc.

McD, Drai, Lucic were our best players tonight and two of those got slagged all day.

As I said, he's the new target for people to vent their frustration on. Bad day at the office? Blame Draisaitl! Fight with the mother-in-law? Blame Draisaitl! While we're at it, let's blame Draisaitl for the weather too.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
A hypothetical is saying we could have traded Hall, RNH and a 1st for Karlsson

Saying we didn't need to trade 2 players who didn't want to leave is not a hypothetical...it's just a mistake

Big difference there
The irony of course now being that wing is a position of concern that we haven't addressed while our defense is also a point of concern.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Yeah, gee, it's almost like the Oilers could use a speedy, offensive LW there next to Draisaitl.

HMMMMMMMM.

I dunno. Lucic was really good today and set Drai upmfor his goal. It’s too bad that Drai and Rieder aren’t clicking. Maybe give that another chance.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Did ANY Oilers forward get one good breakout pass in this entire game?

Every ****ing time its move it up around the boards.

Not even McD looked too exceptional with this pathetic break out. We don't have one D here that is a PMD.

Evan Bouchard says hi!

Reactions: Oilhawks

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Yeah, gee, it's almost like the Oilers could use a speedy, offensive LW there next to Draisaitl.

HMMMMMMMM.

that speedy lw was too stupid and selfish in his time here. those two together would have been a gong show in the long run. people underestimate how much of a calming and leadership presence palmeri is.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Holy crap, this every time.

Lucic and Drai both score and get an assist, best forwards on the team not named McD tonight and they get carved in 100's of posts in the GDT's

Not one comment that the loaded 1st line got not one goal. its all about Drai being "dependent" on McD getting two shifts in the whole game with him while McD's linemates the rest of the game couldn't get it done.
To be fair the expectations should be higher for Leon and to a lesser extent Milan. These guys both produced today, but both goals were a result of pressure caused by Connor McDavid. Our second line needs to produce consistent pressure on the opposition on their own and that line failed to do it all night.

I'm not ready to jump on these guys just yet as we're one game in, but it's a concern when they can't create high quality chances on their own.

Reactions: RegDunlop and Zaddy

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

Even when Drai scored he didn't do it right, was still getting slammed, still sucks. he then sets up 3 scoring chances after that beautifully and he still sucks, everything wrong with him etc.

McD, Drai, Lucic were our best players tonight and two of those got slagged all day.
Drai made some plays but defensively he was a disaster tonight. There’s not really a way around that.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I dunno. Lucic was really good today and set Drai upmfor his goal. It’s too bad that Drai and Rieder aren’t clicking. Maybe give that another chance.

Again.

Line 2 + 3 + 4

Had

TWO

Chances

The Entire Game.

Sit and think about that. This team does nothing without McDavid.

Reactions: oljimmy

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Nurse -3 22:59 (2 PIM); 22:45 EV TOI
Benning -3 20:17; 18:27 EV TOI
Klefbom 0 20:02; 15:30 EV TOI
Larsson 0 18:47; 16:27 EV TOI

I thought our top dogs were supposed to carry the weight?...

Hmmmmmm... not sure how Benning got more minutes than Larsson. Ooopsies. Like I've said before, Benning needs to improve a lot. No way he should be seeing 20 mins a game.

That Sekera injury is even worse now if Benning is getting 20 mins a game.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Would like to see them try:
Lucic - McDavid - Rattie
Rieder - Nuge - Leon

Seem to be a better fit when the opposition takes away the center of the ice.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
IMO our forward lines should be

RNH - McDavid - Rattie
Lucic - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi
Khaira - Strome - Rieder
Chiasson - Brodziak - Kassian

Yamamoto needs more seasoning in the AHL and Rieder is a waste on the fourth line. Lucic and Drai will benefit from another big winger with speed.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Only Drai got slagged today.

Reactions: Duke74

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Picked Rattie first overall in my yahoo draft. Going to drop him now. What a mistake. Like, he had 11 points in meaningless exhibition games. I thought forsure he was going to get 100 points at the rate he was scoring in preseason!!!
I hope you’re joking about picking Rattie 1st overall

Reactions: TB12

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Again.

Line 2 + 3 + 4

Had

TWO

Chances

The Entire Game.

Sit and think about that. This team does nothing without McDavid.

You're correct. Without McDavid this team would probably garner 50-60 points in a season.

Reactions: TB12

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Is rieder the same guy who played on kitchener rangers with landeskog? Holy smokes, how did this guy get an nhl career?

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I asked this on the main board GDT, but from a neutral fan's perspective, I was sort of baffled as to why Nurse and Benning seemed to be out there whenever McDavid was on the ice, rather than Klefbom. Any reason for this? Klefbom looked like the most dynamic D out there for you guys, but he generally seemed to be out with the second line. Also Nurse and Benning was out late when the Oilers were pushing for a goal when it was 4-2 and got the EN goal against. Klefbom didn't get out until after the EN goal.

main_resized_730x380_5aa8696703cc9_263115.jpg

Also, Klefbom is a stud. He'll be either 1st or 2nd best D man on the Oilers this year depending on Bouchard keeping up his play and sticking.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Klef-Lars
Nurse-Bear
Garrison-Bouchard

Let’s see this for a couple games.

I think this team's at a point where they need both Bear and Bouchard in the lineup, that or a one of them and a trade for another offensive defenceman. The defence just doesn't get enough of a consistent push up the ice.

Benning just doesn't cut it. He can't handle defensive responsibilities, nor can he generate any offence...

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
1st shot of the season goes in sums this game...hopefully not the season

in any case, they won game 1 last year and we had a horrid season

and that PP won't work...its abysmal

good for Looch on being a bright spot

The absolute one thing that can't happen to start this season is a goal on the first shot. It's a moral breaker

Reactions: RegDunlop

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
As I said, he's the new target for people to vent their frustration on. Bad day at the office? Blame Draisaitl! Fight with the mother-in-law? Blame Draisaitl! While we're at it, let's blame Draisaitl for the weather too.

This “blame Draisaitl” narrative is absolutely BS. No one is wrongly blaming Drai or running him out of town. Most posters calling him out are big fans of Drai and his game.

But when you’ve been bad all of preseason and then to start the reg season, you deserve criticism. He is getting paid to be a driver on this team, he’s supposed to carry the play and be a threat every time Connor isn’t on the ice.

Idgaf if he got a goal and an assist. His assist was garbage and his goal doesn’t excuse his play. He was soft on the coverage which lead to the first goal. He had multiple turnovers, he wasn’t moving his feet.

I don’t doubt that Drai will bounce back but he needs to do it soon and so far, he has not shown much. We need him to turn it around and start being one of the best players every game (from both teams) to have a chance at anything.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Hmmmmmm... not sure how Benning got more minutes than Larsson. Ooopsies. Like I've said before, Benning needs to improve a lot. No way he should be seeing 20 mins a game.

That Sekera injury is even worse now if Benning is getting 20 mins a game.
Not sure how anyone gets more minutes than Larsson unless it's with PP time..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig