Post-Game Talk: Devils 5 Oilers 2 - welp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Another point: McLellan said something like "we got 1 PP goal, if we get that every game it's 82 in the season".

Wow. McDavid drove that play off the rush, pretty much like a 5on5 goal. I saw no progress on the Oiler PP system in this game. It didn't threaten and didn't sustain much pressure. Maybe I'm a stupid fan and they're on track for a big turnaround...

That really sounds like a Mac T kind of quote.

Except Mac T would have gone to the wrong rink.

Reactions: Del Preston

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Another point: McLellan said something like "we got 1 PP goal, if we get that every game it's 82 in the season".

Wow. McDavid drove that play off the rush, pretty much like a 5on5 goal. I saw no progress on the Oiler PP system in this game. It didn't threaten and didn't sustain much pressure. Maybe I'm a stupid fan and they're on track for a big turnaround...

Tmac in a nutshell. "See my stupid idea worked one time thanks to the greatest talent on the planet, so i'll do it for 50 more games"

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Tmac in a nutshell. "See my stupid idea worked one time thanks to the greatest talent on the planet, so i'll do it for 50 more games"
My impression of McLellan is that he doesn't use the media to call out players or air out dirty laundry. What he says in public probably means little about how the team is run.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
That really sounds like a Mac T kind of quote.

Except Mac T would have gone to the wrong rink.

True story. During the Sather appreciation night I watched Mac T go out a side exit for a smoke break. He then forgot his card to get back in and was locked out and had to call someone to help him. That moment summed up his GM career for me.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
The funny thing is if/when Todd is fired, Gulutzan's PP sets are garbage too. Calgary's PP was almost as bad as Edmonton's last year but they actually had two PP QBs in Hamilton and Giordano.

Ehhh, I'd say that was more Cameron than GG and the lack of right shot forwards we had (besides brouwer lol). Still, not putting Hamilton on the pp over Brodie for 50 games was frustrating as f***, so hopefully gg is more adaptable now.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Im watching the Flames Predators game right now. Pisses me off how bad Edmonton crapped the bed. Were not an NHL team.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Im watching the Flames Predators game right now. Pisses me off how bad Edmonton crapped the bed. Were not an NHL team.

I've watched so many games due to free center ice preview.
I am astonished that we are even in the same league with these teams. Even Vacouver and Ottawa can fly anf look better than us.

One game sample I know but I'm worried!

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I've watched so many games due to free center ice preview.
I am astonished that we are even in the same league with these teams. Even Vacouver and Ottawa can fly anf look better than us.

One game sample I know but I'm worried!
Not like we play a team that has one of the most dangerous top lines in the league next and our defense has trouble containing every single Jersey line.

I'm 100% a TERRIBLE 1st as the team isn't even close to game shape and the break with what...2 practices total won't help at all.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Not like we play a team that has one of the most dangerous top lines in the league next and our defense has trouble containing every single Jersey line.

I'm 100% a TERRIBLE 1st as the team isn't even close to game shape and the break with what...2 practices total won't help at all.

Agreed
If they can't win these upcoming games, they had damn well better compete.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
True story. During the Sather appreciation night I watched Mac T go out a side exit for a smoke break. He then forgot his card to get back in and was locked out and had to call someone to help him. That moment summed up his GM career for me.

MacT smokes?
Didn't know that

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Is it possible that the team struggled so bad due to another new system being introduced? New coaches with different messages? Might explain why so many people seemed to be out of position on defence or losing the extra man.

Or maybe this new system is just swarm 1.0

Now I watch the highlights or condensed game of every other team and I know the game San Jose looked great tonight but in their 4-0 loss to the Islanders the night before you can see Braun, Burns, and Vlasic all being the goat on a goal against. Losing the extra man, not being in passing lanes.

Keith has also looked bad a few times.

Everyone gets caught out of position from time to time but it is the coaches job to teach you your position. Same reason why some players might look good under one coach and bad under another.

This isn't to say Benning is as good of any of those previously named defenseman, but he has been serviceable in a bottom line/fill in second pair role and in this last game he was caught on the wrong side of the puck a few times and I have to assume, I just have to, that he was trying to do whatever this swarm 1.0 system is. Maybe a forward was supposed to be covering the front of the net, I don't know. We will never know. But I believe we are at least, much better than Saturday.

Which is why I think the 5 day break is a good thing. They were humiliated. Now they have 5 days to think about the systems and not getting caught on the wrong side of the puck so often.

Kassiano out

Reactions: oljimmy and guymez

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Is it possible that the team struggled so bad due to another new system being introduced? New coaches with different messages? Might explain why so many people seemed to be out of position on defence or losing the extra man.

Now I watch the highlights or condensed game of every other team and I know the game San Jose looked great tonight but in their 4-0 loss to the Islanders the night before you can see Braun, Burns, and Vlasic all being the goat on a goal against. Losing the extra man, not being in passing lanes.

Everyone gets caught out of position from time to time but it is the coaches job to teach you your position. Same reason why some players might look good under one coach and bad under another.

This isn't to say Benning is as good of any of those previously named defenseman, but he has been serviceable in a bottom line/fill in second pair role and in this last game he was caught on the wrong side of the puck a few times and I have to assume, I just have to, that he was trying to do whatever this swarm 1.0 system is. Maybe a forward was supposed to be covering the front of the net, I don't know. We will never know. But I believe we are at least, much better than Saturday.

Which is why I think the 5 day break is a good thing. They were humiliated. Now they have 5 days to think about the systems and not getting caught on the wrong side of the puck so often.

Kassiano out

Refreshing post. Be careful you might get flamed for not spewing hate venom on anything not CMD. Lol

Reactions: guymez

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Kassiano out
My concern with the break is last year anytime we had extended time off the team would sleep walk through the first game and have a really bad first few. On an already tough road trip that could be worrisome

I agree the new systems could be hard for the team to learn and that could explain some of it. The biggest issue I saw was effort which usually isn't a systems thing.

The hope now is that they are actually embarrassed about the loss and effort and come to play Thursday. That said from what I have seen of this team, I think they start playing when the game is half over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad