Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) X

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
If I'm Ray I'm telling Hall he signs now based on the moves we made, or he's shipped out before the season starts. He can commit to being part of our success story or get sent off to whatever prebuilt contender will help him coast into the playoffs. We did what he asked, time for him to put pen to paper.
That's an awful opener for a conversation. You may come to this point within the conversation, if Hall is wavering all the time or postpones time lines.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I don't see any scenario where we could get Marner from them tbh. It would take Hughes or Nico, next year's first, Smith, and still probably a good amount more. Unless it's just a huge offer sheet.

so if thats the going rate you think the leafs would want for him then wouldn't offering up 4 firsts be better? like i asked before what is a realistic trade package if marner was already signed for 11

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
I'm a big fan of how prominently PK's dogs are in the videos I've seen.

Man, f*** the Habs and their half-assed offer sheet. And a lesser f*** you to the Canes for dragging this out for so long, even though that's the proper strategy. It did nothing but hit the emergency breaks on free agency. And God help us if the Islanders or someone else offer sheets Marner. At this rate it'll be the end of the month until signings start up again, and I think the Devils should get one more addition on wing.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I don't think the offer sheet is affecting free agency at all anymore. Maybe the Habs have another offer sheet ready to go, but other than that, nothing's changed.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I don't think the offer sheet is affecting free agency at all anymore. Maybe the Habs have another offer sheet ready to go, but other than that, nothing's changed.

I could see teams with current RFAs being more likely to make proactive trades to free up salary for fear of being put in a tough spot. The problem is, I don’t think offer sheets are that big of a tough spot, you either match, take compensation, or work out a trade; you’re still in control and the contract signed is likely reasonable.

But let’s say teams are fearful then everyone might end in a waiting game of trying to work out trades rather than signing an UFA and the UFA are waiting for teams to become desperate to drive the prices back up.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I'd give VGK McLeod for Gusev.

In a heartbeat. That being said, I'm curious as to what kind of trade value Mikey even has at this point. Not sure it'd be enough to pry Gusev if only because I would think that another team could offer a more enticing prospect in a straight up trade like that. But again, I have no idea what kind of value Mikey has.

I'm actually really curious about whether or not VGK would prefer prospect / pick, or a cheap, productive roster player. We do have a couple of those that I wonder if they would be interested in.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I don’t see any other reason why free agency has come to a screeching halt.

Is it a screeching halt or just a little slower than normal? We had a first day flurry and now we are in the doldrums, which I don’t feel is that unusual.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Transactions do tend to slow up for a few days around the 4th of July each year especially when it falls within a day or two of a weekend as is the case this year.

Doesn’t mean that there isn’t anything going on with player discussions or among teams trade wise, but it usually isn’t as active during this 3-4 day period.

Reactions: Darkauron

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The only surprise to me about FA is that nothing happened on Day 2 - usually you see some of the bigger names go at that point. I doubt very much that the offer sheet has locked anyone down - most teams don't even have a big RFA to sign.

MauDevils

Jan 11, 2009
New Jersey
There are two outcomes to signing Marner and neither would be good.

Either we sign both Marner and Hall and have a massive amount of money tied up on the wing. Or we lose Hall and those could end up being very good picks.

It would make no sense for where the franchise is currently at.

BostonDevil

Jun 28, 2019
There are two outcomes to signing Marner and neither would be good.

Either we sign both Marner and Hall and have a massive amount of money tied up on the wing. Or we lose Hall and those could end up being very good picks.

It would make no sense for where the franchise is currently at.

Not that I'm for this move but, what if you get Marner and trade Hall to get some picks back?

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Given the winger names still remaining on the free agent market, it would be a dumb idea to offer sheet Marner. If the pickings were very slim, I'd feel conflicted in offer sheeting as a move of last resort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad